Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputationZMonkey11 has decent reputation
Default Re: Pistons Trade For Brandon Jennings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Good Grantland article on the subject

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...il-the-pistons

On the subject of tanking?

I don't think the Pistons have tried to tank one season at all since Joe D became GM. He made some miraculous moves in the early 2000s, then got us a championship getting Sheed. He then thought Stuckey was ready and let go of Billups. Second biggest mistake he made. First biggest being the signing of CV and Ben Gordon. Since the championship days, he's either drafted horribly, or let go of our good draft picks too early. And subsequently, we have sucked ever since. (Not to mention our owner died, RIP Mr. Davidson)

But Joe D has never tried to tank a season.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #17
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker is considered somewhat coolAussie Dunker is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11

I don't think the Pistons have tried to tank one season at all since Joe D became GM. He made some miraculous moves in the early 2000s, then got us a championship getting Sheed. He then thought Stuckey was ready and let go of Billups. Second biggest mistake he made. First biggest being the signing of CV and Ben Gordon. Since the championship days, he's either drafted horribly, or let go of our good draft picks too early. And subsequently, we have sucked ever since. (Not to mention our owner died, RIP Mr. Davidson)

Sooooo drafting Darko - where does that rank as mistakes Joe D has made, 3rd?
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #18
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
Sooooo drafting Darko - where does that rank as mistakes Joe D has made, 3rd?

Well let's say we took Melo instead. You think our chemistry would have worked out the way it did?

Melo is a ball DOMINANT player. He would be on a squad with players that fit perfectly as a TEAM.

Melo's record in the playoffs: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UfoDo41_3lc

So while it doesn't seem to be the best pick, I think that pick was the pick we needed to win a championship and go back to the finals the next year, and compete continually in the ECF.

Yes, third sounds about right.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #19
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

and rethinking it, MOST TEAMS had Darko as #2 or #3 pick, so how was it really a mistake? This kid was a mystery, his work outs were great, and he really impressed scouts.

Its rare you see the amount of athleticism and moves he displayed when working out for teams. Every account I read of Darko, scouts were in awe with his shot, movement, and handles for a big man.

He just wasn't ready for the NBA and Larry Brown probably broke him. Larry Brown is notorious for riding rookies hard and not letting them play much.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

So, you didn't click on the link?
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Well let's say we took Melo instead. You think our chemistry would have worked out the way it did?

Melo is a ball DOMINANT player. He would be on a squad with players that fit perfectly as a TEAM.

Melo's record in the playoffs: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UfoDo41_3lc

So while it doesn't seem to be the best pick, I think that pick was the pick we needed to win a championship and go back to the finals the next year, and compete continually in the ECF.

Yes, third sounds about right.

Trust me, adding a superstar in place of a scrub does not make your team worse. Yeesh.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
So, you didn't click on the link?

I read the whole article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastradamus
Trust me, adding a superstar in place of a scrub does not make your team worse. Yeesh.

If you would like to start getting testy on this board, we can go that route.

But please inform me where he fits into our team when we just drafted Tayshaun the year before? You fail to realize we WON A CHAMPIONSHIP that year? Our hallmark was defense. You don't remember this was a young Carmelo that was a trouble maker. He would be getting less playing time after being an alpha dog at Syracuse that just won the National Championship. And do we even get Rasheed if Carmelo is here? Have you ever watched interviews of Carmelo talking about Linsanity when he came back? He acted straight up jealous and wanted the ball back in his hands when the Knicks were rolling pretty nicely in 2012.

There were no superstars on that Pistons team. That was our identity. Going to work. Blue collar. Everyone worked together. When someone was hot, it was their night. You change that whole mantra to superstar and I don't think it works anymore.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

"Either way, we should celebrate the Pistons because regardless of whether it works or not, it'll be spectacular. I don't know if I believe in the Pistons' blueprint, but I'm glad it exists. It's better than having another team like the Sixers and Suns, both of whom will be unwatchable all year. Plus: Is some guy like Marcus Smart really worth throwing away another season and giving up on someone like Greg Monroe?"

Here is the key quote I was using Mr. Damus. It keys on him saying we aren't tanking while other teams are. Maybe you haven't read the whole article although you posted it. It's near the end.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker is considered somewhat coolAussie Dunker is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
and rethinking it, MOST TEAMS had Darko as #2 or #3 pick, so how was it really a mistake? This kid was a mystery, his work outs were great, and he really impressed scouts.

Yeah man I totally agree with you here, very highly acclaimed prospect - still surprised we took him before Melo though... But coming into the draft Darko was seen as having a very, very high ceiling...

Quote:
He just wasn't ready for the NBA and Larry Brown probably broke him. Larry Brown is notorious for riding rookies hard and not letting them play much.

Which is why I think it wouldn't of really mattered if we drafted Melo / Wade, as they would of had a similar fate coming off the bench in the first year (maybe slightly more game time as they were more developed players than Darko by this stage).

But at the end of the day, who knows what would of happened if we took one of those players? But we took Darko, and we won a chip - I wouldn't trade that for a "what if"..

I was just messing before mate

Dumars 3rd biggest mistake was hiring Kuester and Curry as head coaches - I didn't mind Frank, but now feel really good with Cheeks.

Nastradamus > I agree with you we would of been better off long term with Melo. Yeah we drafted Prince, but that wouldn't of stopped us from drafting Melo. At this stage we obviously didn't have Sheed, but just imagine this lineup:

Wallace,
Wallace,
Melo,
Hamilton,
Billups

But at I said before, I wouldn't give up a chip for "what ifs" even though this what if looks pretty damn nice...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #25
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:

THen you know the part pertaining to the Pistons was not about them tanking right? I'm confused.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #26
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:

If you would like to start getting testy on this board, we can go that route.

But please inform me where he fits into our team when we just drafted Tayshaun the year before? You fail to realize we WON A CHAMPIONSHIP that year? Our hallmark was defense. You don't remember this was a young Carmelo that was a trouble maker. He would be getting less playing time after being an alpha dog at Syracuse that just won the National Championship. And do we even get Rasheed if Carmelo is here? Have you ever watched interviews of Carmelo talking about Linsanity when he came back? He acted straight up jealous and wanted the ball back in his hands when the Knicks were rolling pretty nicely in 2012.

There were no superstars on that Pistons team. That was our identity. Going to work. Blue collar. Everyone worked together. When someone was hot, it was their night. You change that whole mantra to superstar and I don't think it works anymore.

I don't know why you're getting all worked up about. I didn't mean to insult anyone though.

I do think its ridiculous to suggest that adding a superstar caliber talent to our team on a rookie contract, in place of Darko, would have hurt our team's chances of winning the title though. JMO
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Here is the key quote I was using Mr. Damus. It keys on him saying we aren't tanking while other teams are. Maybe you haven't read the whole article although you posted it. It's near the end.

I was just posting an article with an outsider's opinion of our offseason moves. I'm aware they mentioned tanking, but that isn't the subject I was referencing. No harm intended.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

I liked Jennings in his rookie year but I haven't kept up with him ever since

from that bballbreakdown video, he looks awful

not sure how I feel about this move but I have faith that he will distribute better under the mentor of Billups and Cheeks
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #29
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Heís too small. He canít play defense. Heís selfish.

He doesnít finish at the rim, or make enough threes, or use his off hand well in the paint.

He takes too many long two-pointers and hoists them too early in the shot clock. Of course he does, heís a gunner who thumbed his nose at the NBAís age requirement and bolted from high school for Europe, where he struggled in the only year he played there.

Brandon Jennings, the Pistonsí newest point guard, arrives in Detroit riding a narrative Iím sure heíd like to change, and one that isnít entirely fair.

If Joe Dumars is going to make his latest experiment work, he had better hope Jenningsí story isnít finished.

-- Detroit Free Press
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #30
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

On the whole Darko thing... Joe D didn't make a mistake at the time. He was supposed to be a "can't miss" guy. There were draft boards that had Cleveland taking him #1 over Lebron. We've seen how that team drafts (with Bennet, Thompson, etc) so it's not all that far-fetched. It was a miss in a big draft class. In any other draft it wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal.

I often do wonder how Melo's career would be different though. We already had Prince who played well and was a fan favorite. Would we have traded him away?? It's tough to say. Also, would Melo's development been far different? What if he didn't have the pressure to be the man right away? Maybe he would trust teammates more and not be the ballstopper he is today. That Pistons team was built on a foundation of defense first, hard work, and playing together. Maybe if Melo was taught that at an earlier age with vets to keep him in check things would be different. With the current Melo I don't see that team winning any more championships though. I also would think Detroit would've needed to give him a max contract meaning we would have needed to break up Hamilton, Billups, and the Wallaces earlier. Plus at the time Joe D didn't believe in paying people over 12 million dollars so maybe Melo would've just walked. There's so many what if's that we'll never know. It worked out well for a nearly a decade for us anyway.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: