Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
2swift4u
Good High School Starter

Default fastbreak 1 on 1

hey guys,
what are your go-to moves on fast breaks when there's only one defender in your way (or running back next to you)? Lately I've been in several situations when I wasn't able to finish because I was too hesitant or didn't protect the ball well and got blocked.
Do you like to change direction in the last second or always use the hand that's further away from the basket to finish in order to protect the ball? Or do you simply try to run through the defender and see whether you can get your shot off or an and1?
So, what's the best way to finish a fast break against one defender in your opinion?

Last edited by 2swift4u : 07-31-2013 at 09:41 AM.
2swift4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: fastbreak 1 on 1

Honestly, all you should really do is make the defender turn his hips and then maybe a small step/crossover to the left/right to get him off balance. Worst comes to worst you get into his body and force him to make a really good defensive play.

Just don't over think it. In a situation like that, make a small move and use your instincts.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
AirFederer
Bob Kåre

At 36; upfake when under the basket. Works like a charm.
AirFederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Watch Carmelo when he lays it up. You'd be surprised how effective going up both hands with the ball clamped works. I've just started trying this and it is very effective in getting the shot up and even getting fouled.

Go up strong and hard and in the event that you miss, you'll rarely get blocked as you've clamped the ball that hard its not going anywhere. And if they try and block it you'll probably be rewarded with foul shots.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Burgz V2
Good college starter

just make a strong move and be prepared for him to go for the strip. set yourself up so no matter what move you do you have an angle to put it off the glass.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
CeltsGarlic
straight from...

once when i was really in the zone i decided to pull up slowly from about a bit further than a ft line. no one was in this side of half court and only opp in the paint.

swished it all swag.

bad example tho
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I stay very aggressive. If the defender is in front of me on a fast break and almost waiting for me, I square him up immediately (so it looks like I running right toward him). Squaring him up puts the ball in my court, so to speak. He stays stationary because I'm coming to him then I'm in control of when I make the next move and to where. That next move could be a simple sidestep, a Euro, or a straight attack if the defender is deep enough and vulnerable enough.

Really, if one defender's back and he's waiting, he's very very vulnerable. His only out is to take a charge or make a spectacular defensive play. I think it's important to keep that in mind when attacking offensively. The defender is the one with the problem, not you.

When a defender is running alongside me, more times than not I just try to attack strong. I suggest working through ways to subtly use your body as a weapon. Strategic bumps and clears at the right time (as you attack) alongside a proper gather and leap, can often be enough to get that defender's body weight moving just enough in the wrong direction to allow for a high level shot attempt.

Worth noting - in most of these situations, I'm doing whatever I can do to score. Many times, this means attacking with my strong hand regardless of where I'm at. My feeling is, I explode twice as well off my strong leg, so trying to be fundamental just for the sake of being fundamental won't always do the trick. It's survival mode at that point. Do what it takes to put the ball in the hole.

My favorite move to use on fast breaks with a single defender looking to get an angle on me though? I've honestly used this a ton over my career. I feel it should be a lot more common than it is. It gets a fun response because it looks neat, but it's a pretty straight forward maneuver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D3Qfcl2HbQ

On my list of what NOT to do, I'd say never attack with the priority being to draw a foul. The minute a player tries to draw a foul first and worry about making the shot second, it's usually not going to work out in their favor. For one, it takes one's concentration away from what's most important (making the shot) and two, referees don't respect it. The few times I ref, I'm terrible, but if there's one call I know to let go, it's the one where an offensive player is going out of his way to look for contact.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-06-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Cherry Picker
I shoot 85 %

Euro step
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

If your not comfortable going up strong, taking the layup, or you just straight up over think things (happens to me too) there is nothing wrong with a free throw line jumper. It seems you have a deeper fear of getting blocked
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
2swift4u
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
If your not comfortable going up strong, taking the layup, or you just straight up over think things (happens to me too) there is nothing wrong with a free throw line jumper. It seems you have a deeper fear of getting blocked

Well usually I'm not afraid of getting blocked, since it's part of the game. I just want to become a better finisher. i noticed that some players are really good at finishing. Seems like nothing the defender does bothers them too much. But me on the other hand I often miss when there's contact or my attempt to finish is too easy to block. I can do euro steps and other moves but these moves are kinda hard to do when you go full speed. I guess I lack experience...
2swift4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
CeltsGarlic
straight from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
it is very wrong what the hell,man?
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
LosScandalous
#Cadillactica

Drive to the right of the basket. Spin to left with ball in my right hand. Now I either have an easy layup or I'll pump fake into a high percentage basket.
LosScandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: