Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default How to improve perimeter D?

How are guys like Tony Allen, LeBron James, Jimmy Butler, Avery Bradley all so good at defense? Is it just natural or what? I'm a PG and I want to be an elite defender. How can I improve?
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation
Default Re: How to improve perimeter D?

One thing that helps me is keeping your eyes on the belly. No matter what crossover or head fakes the opponent does, the belly will stay in one place. Keep one hand up and one hand down. Don't cross your feet when shuffling your feet. And ALWAYS force them to attack away from the middle.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputation

Do exercises to increase foot speed and lateral movement so you can cut defenders off.

I think some people are just born with it though.

I was always a good on ball defender in my younger days.

And don't reach all the time either.

Like dude above said follow the belly and not the ball stay between him and the basket
TheReal Kendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

I'm speaking for one of my own bad habits. Keep your hands up. I have a bad habit of resting my hands on my legs when guarding the triple threat.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Ai2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation here

The biggest and quickest improvement you can make is 'EFFORT'

Defense is a effort stat.
I've played against guys that are quick, pesky with their hands and would be amazing defenders, but I have beat them fairly easily purely because they lacked effort. People get lazy and just stick an arm out instead of moving their body.

That's why effort is so important. Make the effort, as a player drives by you instead of just leaving an arm out, slide your feet, get low and take their shoulder against your chest, force them wide. If they are any good with handling the ball, they'll have it on the far side of their body so don't even bother trying to reach, all you'll do is bail them out with a foul call.
If they get a little past you, don't give up, quite often you can start forcing them down the side and they'll give up on the current route and try to find a better option, either cutting back, passing or even jacking a brick.

Trying to block a shot is overated too. I'm a shorter guy, however less people score on me then some of the taller players purely because instead of going for a big swipe/block, I'm raising both my hands, one for the ball and one over the shooters eyes. Tyring to make them change the shot in mid flight. Then immediately getting into good position for a board. If they score, then that's that, next possession. Just don't give up.

So effort and remember to be solid. Not overly physical giving away unnecessary fouls but be solid as in don't flake as soon as they drive on you. Keep them where you want them by getting to where they want to be first.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

foot speed, dexterity, great leg muscle endurance are some good physical attributes of good defenders. Good hip flexibility (Psoas muscle, adductor muscles) is also key as it allows for improvement and refinement of all the aforementioned attributes.

In general though, the best defenders are those that understand what their matchup's strengths are and have a great understanding of where other players (especially help defenders) are on the court. The best defenders in the league are usually the ones that watch the most tape or study the scouting reports religiously. Obviously in a pickup setting this isn't possible, but the best defenders in pickup are usually those that are able to quickly assess the strengths and weaknesses of any given player.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai2death
If they get a little past you, don't give up, quite often you can start forcing them down the side and they'll give up on the current route and try to find a better option, either cutting back, passing or even jacking a brick.
You said a lot of good things, but I liked this in particular. It's something I've had to work on in recent years. There were times where, if I was beat, I'd be like, "Ah well, it's up to the help defense now." I mean, I wouldn't just wave him by and stand still, but when I was beat, I kind of felt like I was out of the play.

However, I've noticed there's still a lot to be said for trailing a player who's beat you off the dribble all the way until a play occurs. Often, if help does come about, it can create a claustrophobic situation for the ball handler.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Electric Slide
Banned

Electric Slide is starting to rub some people the wrong way

In terms of ability, quickness, footspeed, and strength are the most important. You also might want a decent vertical in order to contest shots that is if you are a shorter player like a Dwyane Wade.

The best thing you can do though is to give it your all though.

Defenders generally have the biggest heart and give the most effort. That's why players like T-Mac and VC sucked at it.
Electric Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
You said a lot of good things, but I liked this in particular. It's something I've had to work on in recent years. There were times where, if I was beat, I'd be like, "Ah well, it's up to the help defense now." I mean, I wouldn't just wave him by and stand still, but when I was beat, I kind of felt like I was out of the play.

However, I've noticed there's still a lot to be said for trailing a player who's beat you off the dribble all the way until a play occurs. Often, if help does come about, it can create a claustrophobic situation for the ball handler.

Yes, definitely. Never give up on defense even if you get blown by in the most ridiculous fashion. Sometimes in those situations, players have a false sense of security and think you're out of the play. For the most part, you are. Sometimes, you're able to recover.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: