Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has decent reputation
Default Has anyone drastically improved their vert in their 20s?

im 24 now, feel like im losing a step and declining in vert.

Im barely 5'9, but very short wingspan. My standing reach probably 7'2 or 7'3.
Still I used to be able to nick rim. I could easily touch board layup, could even do it with both hands.

Now I can even barely touch the board. My peak vert was probably when I was 18 or 19.

That said never seen anyone drastically improve their vert in their 20s. Ive heard westbrook couldnt dunk until he was 17. (Still that was in his teens). Never heard of anyone not being able to dunk in their 20s and then finally be able to do so later...

Im thinking of combining explosive running and lifting weights with my legs to improve my vert. See how it goes in 3 months time...
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation
Default Re: Has anyone drastically improved their vert in their 20s?

yea, sorry bro. You're lucky to have not been injured at least. I dunno if I can even touch the backboard anymore because my ankle has been shot since I was 16-17.

However, your 20s is when you take your game horizontal and bulk up. Start getting more physical. As good as it felt to jump over someone or block their shots, I get the same joy out of pushing someone bigger than me out the paint, bumping a cutter, or driving into someone.

Obviously, we get old eventually and everything starts breaking down. However, as a teen we're just more spry. 20s is kind of a mixture, then 30-40 is just beastmode. I mean, that's what I imagine. Just started my 30s.

Most bball players hit their prime in their late 20s, so bear that in mind. And beast.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
2swift4u
High School Varsity 6th Man

2swift4u has decent reputation2swift4u has decent reputation

You can definitely still improve your vertical. I started using a jump manual for the first time when I was about 25 and within 5-6 weeks I was able to jump 4 inches higher. My brother even hit his vertical jump peak in his 30s. But obviously it depens on whether you've done vertical jump training before, because at some point it gets harder to improve (regardless how old you are). Once you get older you obviously loose a step or two but the biggest difference imo is that your body can't take the same amount of hard vertical jump training anymore. You will experinece little injuries every once in a while and you will have to listen to your body more carefully.
2swift4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
sundizz
Local High School Star

sundizz has decent reputationsundizz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgan3
im 24 now, feel like im losing a step and declining in vert.

Im barely 5'9, but very short wingspan. My standing reach probably 7'2 or 7'3.
Still I used to be able to nick rim. I could easily touch board layup, could even do it with both hands.

Now I can even barely touch the board. My peak vert was probably when I was 18 or 19.

That said never seen anyone drastically improve their vert in their 20s. Ive heard westbrook couldnt dunk until he was 17. (Still that was in his teens). Never heard of anyone not being able to dunk in their 20s and then finally be able to do so later...

Im thinking of combining explosive running and lifting weights with my legs to improve my vert. See how it goes in 3 months time...

Yes, but it depends on the shape you are in and what your goals are. If it is just to feel more explosive, and to be able to touch a reasonable height - sure. You are too short (me, too) for the actual height you touch to really matter. What's more important is that you feel (and are) more explosive so you can still easily play the game.

I am 5'7, but with standing reach probably 7'6 I think. The highest I could ever touch was 10 feet and could just nick it (this was at 18 freshmen in uni).

However, for the first and basically only time in my life, I got seriously injured right after this. I played too long..was too tired..didn't land properly and had the worse ankle sprain of my life. I knew that coming back from that injury I'd be a lot more careful about the way I played. I changed my game to still using explosion, but not recklessly and just using it to create space etc.

Anyways, now I am 27. Last summer when I was 26 I played ball everyday and had been doing a lot of core exercises. I dropped a good amount of weight, and my body was feeling pretty good...and surprisingly I touched rim again on a random day. It was an amazing feeling. I hadn't even been training for it. Just had lost a lot of loose weight (was 135 when 18, got up to 170 over my 20's) and got my basketball legs under me properly again.

Now, this year I'm 27. I've always had lower back problems. Not usually debilitating level of problems, but my lower back is really tight and sore if I play more than a day of hoops in a row. Even working out would make it sore. I recently found out about hip flexor stretches. For me...this has been like getting a new back. It's amazing. I was randomly running around doing parkour today (street jumping on benches etc) because I was feeling more springy than I did even at 15, or 16. I'm not going to get too crazy and test out this feeling until I continue to strengthen core etc. I'm fairly certain though that I might be able to grab rim by the end of this year if I keep up my diet, training, and stretching.

In a few words...if you eat right, work out correctly there is no reason not to regain, or better what you did before. You are still young. 24 to 28 should be when you are strong, fast, athletic, good looking etc. Dedicate yourself to it...better than doing other useless stuff with your time.

If you want...i'll post my daily routine, with suggestions for increasing vert. It kinda depends on whether you already have strong legs (e.g., can squat a lot = slow twitch muscle fibres) or already have good jump technique and explosion (e.g., can jump rope all day and do repeated jumping easy).
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's definitely possible to drastically improves one's vert in their 20's. I'd been dunking since my freshman year of high school but didn't start really dunking (i.e. dunking frequently in games, sometimes on people) until I hit my 20's.

I say, if you want to become a higher jumper, do not become discouraged due to your age. When I graduated from high school, I strangely believed 18 years old would be my athletic peak. Instead, I think the average athletic peak is closer to 27. I'm 29 now and have been getting up pretty well for the past decade.

I think 2swift4u is actually right on point. If you've been maxing out your workouts for years (like, say, pounding through jump programs, playing hours per day, heavy/maximum training), maybe you've peaked and you cannot go any further. But in most cases, I think people have room for improvement.

My other thought process has been this: maybe I could dunk at age 18 without having worked out to my full potential. Perhaps I was only achieving 50% of my potential, yet it still yielded solid results. I think the affects of aging can sometimes be counteracted by working harder and better. For instance, maybe you'll have to work hard enough to achieve 70% of your potential by age 24, and more as you get older. And maybe if you work hard enough, the results may surpass what you were able to achieve at a younger age.

Does that makes sense?
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

it is definitely possible. I know a lot of guys who couldn't dunk in HS but can dunk easily now. They're not doing windmills or anything but they had realistic goals in mind when they set out to improve.

if you increase 3 inches a year, that's 9 inches in 3 years. That is amazing growth from realistic short term goals. Aim for the short term goals and try to build on them every year.

DO NOT make the mistakes others make. There is only a certain amount of training your body/central nervous system can take. For someone with your physique it will take a lot of patience and time to achieve the requisite athletic ability in order to dunk. But it is definitely possible.

It won't happen over night. I know it sounds cliché but it's something you need to internalize and really take to heart. You will do more harm than good if you really try to rush this process. My friends trained for around 5 to 6 years to go from barely touching rim to dunking easily with two hands. Train hard when you can, and if you can't, rest. The stronger you get, the more frequent you can go hard so don't go nuts right away.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
tgan3
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
yea, sorry bro. You're lucky to have not been injured at least. I dunno if I can even touch the backboard anymore because my ankle has been shot since I was 16-17.
-Smak

I had a full ACL/MCL tear when I was 16. So it could be said that I never fully reached my jumping potential..
Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
mugiwara
High School Starter

mugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected postermugiwara is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I had a full ACL/MCL tear when I was 16. So it could be said that I never fully reached my jumping potential..

How well have you recovered? I'm 4 months in now, can run a little. I wanna dunk before its too late ya know.
mugiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Quote:

I was close to mine or maybe above it. Sounds funny to say "above" but with such things like athleticism, I think you can operate above it, but then you get ****ed. I was going superhard, even taking like supplements and shit, doing a shitload of calf raises, wearing ankle weights.

I remember going to a bball game around that time and I had done so many calf raises that I could barely walk up the stairs at the arena.

I probably should have stretched or taken it more slowly, but I had always had hops. I just wanted to push it to the next level and dunk. I'm like 5'7, so I would have been pretty excited. Alas...

That being said, if you tore you shit especially... I just don't think it'll be the same. I know it's not for me. I don't even walk the same. If I play ball without a brace on now I'll get carried away and my ankle will just collapse under me. But maybe you got surgery and properly healed. I vowed to never get surgery.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
Straight_Ballin
Local High School Star

Straight_Ballin is starting to rub some people the wrong wayStraight_Ballin is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Yes. I couldn't dunk until I was 24.
Straight_Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
tgan3
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugiwara
How well have you recovered? I'm 4 months in now, can run a little. I wanna dunk before its too late ya know.

I didn't recover too well, could be because I was too eager to play again. The doctors will say it will take 1 year to fully recover. But my knee was never the same again.

Anyway, everyone is a different case. Just remember to do physiotherapy religiously and give time for your knee to heal.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
tgan3
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
That being said, if you tore you shit especially... I just don't think it'll be the same. I know it's not for me. I don't even walk the same. If I play ball without a brace on now I'll get carried away and my ankle will just collapse under me. But maybe you got surgery and properly healed. I vowed to never get surgery.

-Smak

I had to get surgery because it was a full tear. I remembered pre-surgery I was doing some stretches and my kneecap just slid away from its position and then back again. Thats how f-ked up it was.

True, it was never the same again. the knee area just doesn't feel as strong and secure and if I overexert there will be pain and soreness. "Luckily" it was the right knee and I use my left leg for layups since im right-handed. I try not to use only the right knee to jump, usually left or both.

Last edited by tgan3 : 08-07-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Mine went up a good bit in my 20's but I went from a skinny distance runner in high school to power lifting in college. I usually joke that when I was in my 20's it seemed like I was in the air longer and landed softer but now I barely leave the ground and landing hurts. I don't worry much about jumping anymore because that's what has done my ankles in.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: