Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default Philosophers prove existence of God and why you should be a person of faith

okay not really.

but I checked out of of the Philosophy classes on my campus, and pretty much all of them deal with proving or disproving God's existence.

Check out this crazy one:

(1-1) + (1-1) + (1-1)... = 0
1 - (1+1) - (1+1) ... = 0
1 = 0

you've created SOMETHING out of NOTHING.

????!?!??!?!??!?!

but using calculus and infinite series you can disprove that. but it shows how zany these guys are.

moreover, they argue that you should believe in God because since you don't know what will happen, you may as well do it to be on the safe side, since if there is Armageddon, you'll be safe, and if there isn't, no harm done either.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default Re: Philosophers prove existence of God and why you should be a person of faith

My theory is:

It's better to beleive in God and find out he does not exist than to not believe, and find out that he does.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: Philosophers prove existence of God and why you should be a person of faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
you should believe in God because since you don't know what will happen, you may as well do it to be on the safe side.

See that's my problem with a lot of religion. Too many people almost FORCE themselves to believe in God. Deep down you either do or you don't, and only you know the truth. People say "you should believe in God just to be safe". No you should believe in God because you really believe in your heart that he exists, not to be on the safe side. Don't force yourself to just so you can maybe benefit from it.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
KnicksForever
I airball my layups

phil is for insecure people who seeks for a pecae of mind and soul. and phil instructs you to follow the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
See that's my problem with a lot of religion. Too many people almost FORCE themselves to believe in God. Deep down you either do or you don't, and only you know the truth. People say "you should believe in God just to be safe". No you should believe in God because you really believe in your heart that he exists, not to be on the safe side. Don't force yourself to just so you can maybe benefit from it.

i can't put it better than this.
KnicksForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Jabes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
okay not really.

but I checked out of of the Philosophy classes on my campus, and pretty much all of them deal with proving or disproving God's existence.

Check out this crazy one:

1 = 0

you've created SOMETHING out of NOTHING.

????!?!??!?!??!?!

but using calculus and infinite series you can disprove that. but it shows how zany these guys are.
This is what happens when someone who doesn't know math tries to
'prove mathematically' something. Its kinda like that 'proof' that 2 = 1.

Let x = y, then
1) x^2 = xy
2) x^2 - y^2 = xy - y^2
3) (x+y)(x-y) = y(x-y)
4) x+y = y
5) 2y = y
6) 2 = 1

So there it is proof that 2=1.
Except that from line 3) to line 4) you divide both sides by (x-y), but (x-y)=0 (since x=y) and division by zero is not allowed.

Last edited by Jabes : 02-18-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Jabes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashforprez
i believe in god and you shouldnt take a philosophy class at any university because you will be learning the professor's philosophy on life
You obviously haven't taken a philosophy class before.

Quote:
let me ask the people who are aetheists why they chose to be atheists.
I don't wish to turn this into a religious debate, but if you are just curious, then I will tell you my perception.

I just flat out don't know if there is a god. It's something that can neither be proved nor disproved. For me it seems more plausible that religion was created by man. Its fearful to think there is no god. I think religion was created to quell that fear. I would like to know there is a god or some purpose for living, but I choose to believe only in what I can prove (scientifically) and leave the rest as unknowns.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Jabes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashforprez
thank you. yes i have taken a history class but it was at a community college when i was in high school (i was homeschooled)
History? you mean philosophy right?
It sounds like you had a bad teacher. I'm sorry to hear that. However, it certainly doesn't warrant the assumption that all philosophy classes at all universities are that way.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
shadow
Laker fan here

philosophy is fun because you can pretty much talk ****, and if you like read bull**** other people came up with. It's a mental workout essentially imo.

Plus talking about things like that is what leads to laws, morality and all that stuff anyway so it's not without its practical applications.

The whole idea of believing in god because it's a safe bet is good in theory but think about this. What if God is the bad guy and the Devil is playing David to his Goliath? After all based on the state of our world where corrupt people are the one's in power, good people struggle, innocent, defenseless people keep getting blown up while they enjoy meals at a cafe, or on the flip side have their shanty houses bulldozed because they're suspected of being terrorists, did ya ever think God might be getting a kick out of peoples misery? Is it really a safer bet to believe in that entity which enjoys our misery?

OK sorry I couldn't resist adding some bull**** but the thread is about philosophy ;)

Personally I do believe in God and the after life, but I like thinking about stuff like that. So far no lighting bolts...yet
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
sydneyking
Banned

Quote:

No it doesn't.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyking
No it doesn't.
I believe it does.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
answer323

I really don't know where you came up with your math skills but you should probably stick to basketball.

1 - (2) - (2) = -3

and if this pattern continues it will increase to negative infinity by an interval of -2.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
No it doesn't.

How doesnt it??
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

If people are going to try to use horrible math skills to prove the existence of something, I'll jump on the bandwagon. I've posted this before, but it deserves another shot at life.

Now, I am going to prove to you, mathematically, that Al Gore caused 9/11 and tried to use it as a scheme to take over the world using his global warming theory.

Here it goes:

In 2006, Al Gore said the world would end in 20 years if nothing was done. Now, take 9/11. 9 + 11 = 20. Add 20 to 2006 and you get 2026. Multiply the 9 and 11 and you get 99. You subtract the 99 from 2026 and you get 1927, just two years before the Great Depression. Go back to 9/11, you subtract 9 from 11 and you get 2. Add two to 1927, you get 1929, the year that began the Great Depression!!!! Now, add the 9 and 11 again, take the 20 and add to the 1929, you get 1949. Since 1=0 then you subtract the 1, Al Gore can insert this because he's a powerful man. So, 1 from 1949 gives you 1948, the year that Al Gore was born!!!!! Add the 19 and 48 and you get 67, which was the exact temperature of the air 911 feet above ground at the time of the 9/11 attacks.

There's the proof.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
sydneyking
Banned

Quote:
I believe it does.
Quote:
How doesnt it??

It's an infinite series that does not converge to a limit. It's undefined, not zero.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
Jabes
Banned

Quote:
It's an infinite series that does not converge to a limit. It's undefined, not zero.
No, its well defined and it converges to 0.
Its basically the series 0 + 0 + 0 + ....., which certainly converges to 0.

The faultiness of the 'proof' in the original post is that the series
(1-1) + (1-1) + (1-1) + ....
is not the same as
1 + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + ...

The first terms differ, one is 0 and the other is 1.

I think the original post is just trying to show some of the crazy claims you can find which usually result from a lack of understanding of something else. What makes this example particularly wacky is that even if the math were correct, it still fails to say anything about the existence of god.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: