Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #31
juju151111
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,349
juju151111 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Ah, in 2004 as you recall he was going to trial in between games. That definitely affected his mindset. Especially considering he had his best year of his career in 2003. He had a disappointing season in 04', no doubt.

In 2005, LA had a winning record and were in the playoff picture until both Kobe & Odom got injured in the 2nd half. Rudy T left due to an illness and we were playing without our two best players and without a coach. Our record was 12-27 without Rudy T I believe.

In 06' & 07', Kobe almost led his pathetic team past a very good Phoenix squad. He hit a game-winner, dropped 50, had that huge poster on Nash that completely shifted momentum for the entire series.

Kobe lost twice in the 1st round, not 9 times though and one of those times he almost won it for his squad. Then the next season LA acquires Pau Gasol; a guy who hasn't won a single playoff game as a leader, and Kobe takes his team to 3 straight final appearances.

Of course you need talent to go deep in the playoffs, but Kobe almost made it past the first round in his 1st try with inferior talent then what Hakeem had to work with.
Kobe never made it past the first round. Wtf are you talking about? He either miss the playoffs or lost in the first round until Gasol. Who cares about almost? He lost in the first round. You the one that said no excuses. Exactly your listing Kobe performance to show that he played great which is my whole point.
juju151111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #32
Mr Exlax
McFailed next season
 
Mr Exlax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,149
Mr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Ah, in 2004 as you recall he was going to trial in between games. That definitely affected his mindset. Especially considering he had his best year of his career in 2003. He had a disappointing season in 04', no doubt.

In 2005, LA had a winning record and were in the playoff picture until both Kobe & Odom got injured in the 2nd half. Rudy T left due to an illness and we were playing without our two best players and without a coach. Our record was 12-27 without Rudy T I believe.

In 06' & 07', Kobe almost led his pathetic team past a very good Phoenix squad. He hit a game-winner, dropped 50, had that huge poster on Nash that completely shifted momentum for the entire series.

Kobe lost twice in the 1st round, not 9 times though and one of those times he almost won it for his squad. Then the next season LA acquires Pau Gasol; a guy who hasn't won a single playoff game as a leader, and Kobe takes his team to 3 straight final appearances.

Of course you need talent to go deep in the playoffs, but Kobe almost made it past the first round in his 1st try with inferior talent then what Hakeem had to work with.

Do you happen to remember the teams that Hakeem and the Rockets were losing to? Do you think Kobe would lose to those same teams before they got him Gasol?
Mr Exlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #33
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,753
SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
I felt that way initially, but I think it's more likely he gets the David Robinson treatment. Pierce is by no means in even second-year Duncan's class, but they're both exceptional defensive bigs (who were also great rebounders) who relied a lot on a jump-shooting/finesse face up game. It's possible history will be kinder to Garnett but I think most people will remember Dirk as being better (for the record I'd take KG, but the same thing happened with Barkley/Malone and Robinson, and they didn't win championships).

Dirk's legend is only going to skyrocket. That 2011 playoffs basically got him a get of jail free for his career. How many times does anyone bring up the 06 Finals or 07 playoff losses? You're going to only hear good things about him as the years go by.

As for KG/D-Rob, the thing is, I don't think D-Rob's career ever totally got over losing to Hakeem in the fashion he did. Its not fair at all, but that seems to be the case with him. He also has kind of a rep of being soft. With KG, the whole defense/intensity is going to carry him a long way. People will start talking about how he was the ultimate leader, best defender since Russell, etc. Im obviously not a KG fan at all. I don't even try to hide it. Does that mean he isn't a top 3-4 PF? Of course not. But I cringe at the thought of KG>>>>Duncan threads. I really, really do.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
juju151111
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,349
juju151111 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Dirk's legend is only going to skyrocket. That 2011 playoffs basically got him a get of jail free for his career. How many times does anyone bring up the 06 Finals or 07 playoff losses? You're going to only hear good things about him as the years go by.

As for KG/D-Rob, the thing is, I don't think D-Rob's career ever totally got over losing to Hakeem in the fashion he did. Its not fair at all, but that seems to be the case with him. He also has kind of a rep of being soft. With KG, the whole defense/intensity is going to carry him a long way. People will start talking about how he was the ultimate leader, best defender since Russell, etc. Im obviously not a KG fan at all. I don't even try to hide it. Does that mean he isn't a top 3-4 PF? Of course not. But I cringe at the thought of KG>>>>Duncan threads. I really, really do.
Dirk is a good playoffs performer for most of his career give or take a year or two.
juju151111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,420
rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
Do you happen to remember the teams that Hakeem and the Rockets were losing to? Do you think Kobe would lose to those same teams before they got him Gasol?

If I had more time, I'd honestly post each of those 9 1st round loses with my summary and his statistical impact. I do recall in some of those instances he underperformed signficantly.

I don't recall Kobe playing poorly at all, in either 2006 or 2007 against the Suns. His team just stunk. Hakeem actually underperformed in some of those instances.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #36
fpliii
sick of agendas...
 
fpliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nbastats.net
Posts: 9,822
fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Dirk's legend is only going to skyrocket. That 2011 playoffs basically got him a get of jail free for his career. How many times does anyone bring up the 06 Finals or 07 playoff losses? You're going to only hear good things about him as the years go by.

As for KG/D-Rob, the thing is, I don't think D-Rob's career ever totally got over losing to Hakeem in the fashion he did. Its not fair at all, but that seems to be the case with him. He also has kind of a rep of being soft. With KG, the whole defense/intensity is going to carry him a long way. People will start talking about how he was the ultimate leader, best defender since Russell, etc. Im obviously not a KG fan at all. I don't even try to hide it. Does that mean he isn't a top 3-4 PF? Of course not. But I cringe at the thought of KG>>>>Duncan threads. I really, really do.

Good points. Do you think he ended Ewing's career as well? Or did the fact that Starks was complete shit in G7 take the blame off of him?
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #37
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,420
rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Hakeem was also swept 5 times in the 1st round I believe.
Heck I remember his pathetic performance in 1989 playoffs.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #38
juju151111
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,349
juju151111 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
If I had more time, I'd honestly post each of those 9 1st round loses with my summary and his statistical impact. I do recall in some of those instances he underperformed signficantly.

I don't recall Kobe playing poorly at all, in either 2006 or 2007 against the Suns. His team just stunk. Hakeem actually underperformed in some of those instances.
I think Hakeem underperformed in like 1. You can't compare 9 times to two either small sample size. Since the suns wouldn't always be the team he faces in the first round.
juju151111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #39
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,753
SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju151111
Dirk is a good playoffs performer for most of his career give or take a year or two.

I wasn't arguing otherwise. I have always been a big fan of Dirk's game. But his legend is going to take off. And I have no problem with that. It's the Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway legends that get annoying. I swear some people would take prime Hill over Larry Bird
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #40
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,420
rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

17.5 ppg .443 FG 11.5 RPG 2.0 APG 2.5 SPG 5.8 BPG 2.8 TO 4.8 FPG
19.8 ppg .394 FG 10.8 RPG 2.4 APG 1.0 SPG 3.2 BPG 2.6 TO 3.6 FPG

Got swept in 89-90 & lost in 5 I believe in 97'.
If Kobe put up 17.5 PPG on .443 in a sweep you'd have a field day with him.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #41
Mr Exlax
McFailed next season
 
Mr Exlax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,149
Mr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Hakeem was also swept 5 times in the 1st round I believe.
Heck I remember his pathetic performance in 1989 playoffs.

Did he play bad for any of those series or was it just a few games here and there in them? Also, I'd like to know who he lost to and the team he had in those sweeps. We can skip the other ones. I'm trying to grasp what you're saying. Hakeem wasn't good enough to lead a shitty team to a playoff victory over a better team?
Mr Exlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #42
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,420
rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
Did he play bad for any of those series or was it just a few games here and there in them? Also, I'd like to know who he lost to and the team he had in those sweeps. We can skip the other ones. I'm trying to grasp what you're saying. Hakeem wasn't good enough to lead a shitty team to a playoff victory over a better team?

He played like horse shit in 1989-90 & 1997-98 bro.
He had some EPIC moments too though, even in sweeps.

87-88' he lost in 4 games but had one of the greatest performances I've ever seen in a single series.

Still 9 losses, is 9 losses...
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #43
juju151111
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,349
juju151111 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
17.5 ppg .443 FG 11.5 RPG 2.0 APG 2.5 SPG 5.8 BPG 2.8 TO 4.8 FPG
19.8 ppg .394 FG 10.8 RPG 2.4 APG 1.0 SPG 3.2 BPG 2.6 TO 3.6 FPG

Got swept in 89-90 & lost in 5 I believe in 97'.
If Kobe put up 17.5 PPG on .443 in a sweep you'd have a field day with him.
He was injured that year with a bloodcloth in his knee or something like that. The only reason he made it back was new medical technology. Hakeem was done by 97 I give u that one through.
juju151111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!
 
rhythmic †hesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: manhattan, ny
Posts: 2,420
rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju151111
He was injured that year with a bloodcloth in his knee or something like that. The only reason he made it back was new medical technology. Hakeem was done by 97 I give u that one through.

He was injured in 89-90?
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #45
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,753
SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
Good points. Do you think he ended Ewing's career as well? Or did the fact that Starks was complete shit in G7 take the blame off of him?

Hard to say. 94 was definitely the Knicks best shot. I think Ewing is underrated though. His teams weren't all that. They could defend and rebound, but their offense was ugly and a lot of their players didn't have the best IQs. He tends to get the blame, but im not buying it. While he wasn't as talented as D-Rob, I would still take Ewing over him for his toughness. I mean old, broken down Ewing put the team on his back in game 5 to beat prime Zo in and the Heat in 99 playoffs.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy