Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
tamaraw08
National High School Star

Default ESPN-Lakers to finish 12th in West

10 games below .500, Denver lost Iggy and Karl and yet picked to finish 7th while TWolves was predicted to get the final playoff spot.
I also remembered SI predicted the Lakers to miss the playoffs in 2008 and yet they ended up as Western conference champs. Yes Pau was not in the lineup yet but Bynum was(injured in the playoffs).
Interesting to note too that ESPN also think New Orleans will also fail to land a playoff berth.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: ESPN-Lakers to finish 12th in West

Its not an unfair prediction. The only returning starters are Nash, Kobe, and Gasol. The rest are all up in the air. Young role players that are wild cards every game with some washed up veterans such as Kaman can definitely contribute to a 12th seeded team.

Then again a player as great as Kobe can bring the team to 6th place in the West single handedly. However Kobe is also a big question mark because of everything he is going through. When you compare this team to the other teams in the west, they all have players who have been together longer with cemented role players that know how to fit in their systems.

So what do we have? The elements of surprise? Sure, but thats always tricky as well.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
tamaraw08
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Its not an unfair prediction. The only returning starters are Nash, Kobe, and Gasol. The rest are all up in the air. Young role players that are wild cards every game with some washed up veterans such as Kaman can definitely contribute to a 12th seeded team.

Then again a player as great as Kobe can bring the team to 6th place in the West single handedly. However Kobe is also a big question mark because of everything he is going through. When you compare this team to the other teams in the west, they all have players who have been together longer with cemented role players that know how to fit in their systems.

So what do we have? The elements of surprise? Sure, but thats always tricky as well.

I firmly believe that the most important factor will be health. If Kobe, Nash and Pau play atleast 75 games each, then they have a strong chance of making it in the playoffs. It's not like they have totally lost their role players. Hill, Blake, Meeks are pretty good complementary players plus you add some shooters....I understand if Denver got stronger but they lost their proven coach, Iggy who is atleast top 12 SG in the league, then Harrington etc... Did Minny really improved?, Im not sure.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

As long as everyone stays healthy this is a playoff team. Not a high seed but a 7 or 8.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

I think they're basing it on Kobe being healthy. If Kobe is healthy they're a guaranteed lock for the playoffs. But this team is better than last year's team, more depth, more youth, more athleticism and they might actually run D'Antoni's offense. People forget D'Antoni had the Knicks as a 6th seed with Amare at center and his best players were Gallo, Chandler and Felton.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
I think they're basing it on Kobe being healthy. If Kobe is healthy they're a guaranteed lock for the playoffs. But this team is better than last year's team, more depth, more youth, more athleticism and they might actually run D'Antoni's offense. People forget D'Antoni had the Knicks as a 6th seed with Amare at center and his best players were Gallo, Chandler and Felton.

The Knicks had a nice roster, and people forget the immediately got better when 'antoni left too. When the Knicks traded the majority of that roster to Denver that worked out for them too. But I do agree, it will help the Lakers being a bit younger this year.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA rookie of the year

3 proven players ... All coming back from manor surgeries/injuries...how many games they will play....nobody knows...

We will see
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
akts
Serious playground baller

3 older vets who are supposedly for all intentions done, a cast of low budget
Has beens and forgotten one year rental journeymen. Toss that with a coach whose last success was with the Suns and all anyone can recall is the horrid fiasco in New York he had along now with the utter failure of last year with The Lakers.

You are ESPN and ranking them anything above 10 would get you laughed at.

I like it. It gives them a reason to work hard, and no one expects ANYTHING from this team.

The players here are better than last season without a doubt save for the Center position which was Dwight. Yet that was only for his Defense and boards. His Offense stank. Yet he was still the Center to have. It just didnt work out and he moved on.

Ranking means Squat. Especially when teams get injured and lose players, fail to click or whatever. It all comes down to the team on the floor at the end of the season and what they can do.

I honestly feel we will be higher than 12th.
akts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
DKLaker

Rankings mean absolutely nothing......we were ranked high last year....and we know how that turned out.

I'm not looking forward to watching another season of No D Toni running this team......thank god for football season .......and alcohol

I wish to god No D Toni would prove me wrong...but
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Rankings mean absolutely nothing......we were ranked high last year....and we know how that turned out.

I'm not looking forward to watching another season of No D Toni running this team......thank god for football season .......and alcohol

I do feel like if the team was healthy last year they would have finished higher though. Health is one of those things that is really hard to predict. I do agree about football. I'm glad it's here.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

I still believe that bringing in Kurt was a way to push 'Antoni out of here. The second things go wrong, i.e. a losing streak, I think there's no reason to keep him around. Especially if the lakeshow want to attract Superstar free agents, they're going to need to either bring in a good coach now, or make the spot open so other players can see that they're making the effort.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I still believe that bringing in Kurt was a way to push 'Antoni out of here. The second things go wrong, i.e. a losing streak, I think there's no reason to keep him around. Especially if the lakeshow want to attract Superstar free agents, they're going to need to either bring in a good coach now, or make the spot open so other players can see that they're making the effort.

My suggestion.........Let Jeanie pick the Coach next time
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

If Dwight had stayed, I would have said Lionel Hollins, because of his track record of getting Marc and Z-Bo to co-exist. Now Im really not sure whats right. This team doesn't even have an identity right now. 3 guys that are going to retire in 2 years max, and then a bunch of short term contracts expiring. Who the hell would we hire?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #14
dd24
College superstar

Lakerfreak, I agree with what you said above about bringing in Kurt. I felt that way too. DK, I also agree.... let Jeanie pick lol. Hollins would've been a really good fit with the roster had Dwight stayed. Right now I think it would be better to feel out what would be FA's the Lakers might have a chance at then decided on a coach from there. I'm actually a little worried that Pau may not stay either. Think about it, with 'Antoni here I don't see how Pau would like to continue playing for him. The Lakers FO hasn't really had his back for years. Pau did get traded once....... He's constantly been in trade rumors. If he really was going to take a pay cut, he might feel that going to a team that's already in contention would be the way to go (another reason why we need to keep Hill on the roster). I'd like to see Pau finish his career here. I'm not certain it's going to happen though. The one huge thing that could keep him here is Kobe. Kobe has always stood up for Pau. He's always had his back saying he didn't want him traded and Pau has always been the big man that Kobe has preferred to play with. If Pau stays it will be because of Kobe more than anything.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

i trust the man who made the Lakers...Jerry Buss...he picked Jim Buss...I am cool with that...
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: