Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

Default Lakers Positional Breakdown

Nash/Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks/(Delonte West)
Young/W. Johnson/M. Landry
J.Hill/E.Harris/R.Kelly
Gasol/Kaman/Sacre

pg: three smart pure point guards that can handle the ball, and shoot the three ball. two of which(blake and farmar) are excellent defenders, the other the greatest shooter in nba history. grade: A-

sg: very strong defenders at this position. kobe the greatest bball player of all time. meeks, a streaky shooter that doesn't handle the ball too well or necessarily make good decisions with the ball. grade: A-

sf: three young athletic defenders. all average shooters. nick young will complement Kobe with his ability to create his own offense and go off for 20+ any given night. perimeter defense shold be better than last year with the addition of youth and athleticism alone. grade: B

pf: two scrappy defensive minded, hustle energy guys with big hair in hill and harris. some ability to stretch the floor with outside shooting with all three, even hill. definitely undersized at this position. rebounding might be a big concern here. grade: C-

C: gasol should be one of the top three centers in the league this year, and kaman should be one of the best if not the best backup center in the league. sac showed nice improvements in his game this summer. plenty of offense at this position. not much defense aside from the mere presence of long players. grade: A-

All in all, we have a really deep team full of versatile players that can play and defend multiple positions. I think everyone is sleeping on us. This is a championship team right here.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
LosScandalous
#Cadillactica

Default Re: Lakers Positional Breakdown

Yeah the lineup doesn't look as bad as people suggest. I would love to pick up Delonte too BTW, especially if Meeks plays anything like he does last year.

My biggest fear is if Nick and Wes are capable of being true SFs all season. If that can happen and we can stay healthy, making the playoffs should be fine. Championship tho Kobe and Pau better be at 2009 form and Nash needs to be his 06' self for that to happen. One can only hope.
LosScandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
kkinchen

The biggest difference between this years team and last years team is that we don't have any scrubs on this current roster. Metta, Morris, Jamison, Ebanks, and goudelock were all one dimensionally players and complete scrubs. This team is three hall of famers surrounded by solid players. They are put together like that 2004 pistons team and 2011 mavericks team that won it all.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

i dont care what other big mouth says...but this year you will have players buying into the coaching staff and executing the coaching strategy on the floor....

big difference...Dwight Choward never was interested in running anything D'Toni had to sell...

I am excited to watch the upcoming season honestly.....
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

We are not looking bad at all. Let's go Lakers.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinchen
The biggest difference between this years team and last years team is that we don't have any scrubs on this current roster. Metta, Morris, Jamison, Ebanks, and goudelock were all one dimensionally players and complete scrubs. This team is three hall of famers surrounded by solid players. They are put together like that 2004 pistons team and 2011 mavericks team that won it all.
I like Farmar over Morris but he didn't play great with Kobe before, so I would have preferred a PG like Beno Udrih... but calling Jamison a complete scub?
And the current roster has no scrubs? YOu really think the newbies are much better than Metta, Jamison etc? huh.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

i dont blame you, but thats a very optimitic look at our Lakers.

our PG rotation is alright, but in the NBA right now all 3 are average or below. they aren't starters on any other playoff team. too many good PGs out there.

SG position was good last year because of Kobe but we dont know about his health yet. cant rate because Meeks as starter is brutal.

the forwards are all average or unproven, so we dont know what we will get there.

the centers are old and injuryprone. when healthy they are really good.

when everyone is healthy another late playoff position is makeable, but with some injuries it will get ugly sometimes (like last year).
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
kkinchen

Health is the unknown with this group but dont forget that we went 28-12 in the second half of last season, largely because Kobe became a facilitator and was making plays for everyone on the team. With that said, if Kobe can comeback this year with no setbacks and continue to be a facilitator then we will certainly be better on offense because we have better shooters than last year.

And, it stands to reason that we will be better defensively with the addition of Farmar and replacing flatfooted Metta with young athletic defenders. I expect our interior defense to be weaker with the loss of Dwight but our perimeter defense will be much improved because of the young athletic guys we added. So all in all, we will be better on both ends of the floor then that team that had the 4th best record in the league in the second half of the season last year. So what does that make us then? A Contender.

Last edited by kkinchen : 08-09-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

We are really looking at the glass is half full here huh. lol

Gunna be a tough season gents.

I think you guys are not putting in to reality Kobe's injury.
Even if he does come back ASAP he will not be the same player we know and loved for all these years. Besides the injury he is a year older. I believe at best he will still be a good player but not the dominate player he once was. Plus he defense has taken a HUGE hit already. No longer the lock down defender he once was. I love Kobe just as much as the other Laker fan...but lets just be realistic.

Now looking at SF and PF....we are thin. Putting Kaman in with Gasol will be nice. Hill filling in at both spots. But we need another PF that can put in good minutes.

SF....same thing. We need another player who can put in minutes in here as well. Somebody who can defend and hit open shots. Just look at the SF's around the league we have to face.

I like what we have at Center and PG but that all depends on the health of Nash and Gasol.

Let's hope for the best but let's be realistic. I do like the Young and Kamen pick ups...Famar as well but lets see what these guys can do in the Pringles system. Throw up a bunch of shots and no defense.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
We are really looking at the glass is half full here huh. lol

Gunna be a tough season gents.

I think you guys are not putting in to reality Kobe's injury.
Even if he does come back ASAP he will not be the same player we know and loved for all these years. Besides the injury he is a year older. I believe at best he will still be a good player but not the dominate player he once was. Plus he defense has taken a HUGE hit already. No longer the lock down defender he once was. I love Kobe just as much as the other Laker fan...but lets just be realistic.

Now looking at SF and PF....we are thin. Putting Kaman in with Gasol will be nice. Hill filling in at both spots. But we need another PF that can put in good minutes.

SF....same thing. We need another player who can put in minutes in here as well. Somebody who can defend and hit open shots. Just look at the SF's around the league we have to face.

I like what we have at Center and PG but that all depends on the health of Nash and Gasol.

Let's hope for the best but let's be realistic. I do like the Young and Kamen pick ups...Famar as well but lets see what these guys can do in the Pringles system. Throw up a bunch of shots and no defense.

Dr. Crisoner.......did you write a prescription for that dose of reality
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Dr. Crisoner.......did you write a prescription for that dose of reality

Haha, the defence is my largest concern after losing Howard, I don't think we will be winning all that much best case scenario would be a second round exit (that's absolute best case scenario in my opinion and unlikely), probably end up with the last seed hopefully or missing the playoff's. Michael Beasley may soon be waived by the Suns does anyone believe the Lakers should look to try and sign him? Certainly has or had the potential but that's been brought up each time he's changed teams his potential and he's let teams down or not lived up to expectations, I wouldn't mind a one year deal for him best case scenario does something productive, worst case probably on drug charges again or imprisoned
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
brownmamba00
Cali Love

blake and farmar are not excellent defenders

perimeter defense is gonna be weak as always and unless Pau finds the fountain of youth we are gonna get raped downlow too,,,

just making the playoffs with everyone healthy and just taking it from there one game at a time should be the teams goal. maybe nash-kobe-pau start clickin at the right time and we make a push...sheeyit no one was expecting the mavs to win the chip in 11
brownmamba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

It is a young team, and it is a team that is almost brand new. Thankfully we have 3 remaining starters that all have IQ and experience playing.

Expect boneheaded mistakes being made as we progress through the season. Some of these players are over achievers, under achievers, or just don't have an identity yet.

This season is more of a preparation of what will happen next season. Its going to be pre-season all year long in that we have exceedingly low expectations compared to when we first traded for Dwight and Nash.

Some games will be fun to watch, others will be just frustrating. What's important is that the FO has a plan going into next year.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
kkinchen

Expect a championship this year. I guarantee it. If we don't win it all this year, I give you all permission to boot me from this site. Book it.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
JerryWest
kobeee!!

ugh
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: