Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Anyone else have their check engine light on the car for a while now?

I have had my check engine light on my toyota corolla for almost 2 years now.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Fawker
Banned

Default Re: Anyone else have their check engine light on the car for a while now?

it has that warning for a reason. it may ride for 2 years but probably too late to fix whatever is wrong now.
Fawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Default Re: Anyone else have their check engine light on the car for a while now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawker
it has that warning for a reason. it may ride for 2 years but probably too late to fix whatever is wrong now.
No.

You guys live in a world where you think a check engine light means you're about to throw a rod or your transfer case has 50 miles left before it craters.

You're probably the guy that pays 500 bucks to have his transaxle differential gasket replaced.

This is a chronic issue on GM products. Last time I gave a shit it was an O2 sensor. Aka not in any way integral to the actual operation of the vehicle. I'd be worried if I had a Chevy with 120000+ miles and the check engine light WASNT on.

If something major is happening you won't need a check engine light to tell you you're ****ed.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 08-27-2013 at 03:21 AM.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
No.

You guys live in a world where you think a check engine light means you're about to throw a rod or your transfer case has 50 miles left before it craters.

You're probably the guy that pays 500 bucks to have his transaxle differential gasket replaced.

This is a chronic issue on GM products. Last time I gave a shit it was an O2 sensor. Aka not in any way integral to the actual operation of the vehicle. I'd be worried if I had a Chevy with 120000+ miles and the check engine light WASNT on.

If something major is happening you won't need a check engine light to tell you you're ****ed.

Dude said he had a Toyota though...
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
Dude said he had a Toyota though...
That was a segue.

The point is, some people here obviously equate a check engine light with impending doom. Some people also seem to think that a car could have fatal, "unfixable" problems even though it's running fine because the check engine light is on. "too late to fix whatever is wrong" - Awesome. Spoken like someone who doesn't even know how to change his own oil.

As if a check engine light is gonna tell you that your lug nuts are loose and your wheel's about to fall off, or that your brakes are shot, or that your transmission is about to die.

The irony is that usually a check engine light warns you about something relatively minor, not big issues.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
enayes
Barefoot Bandit

Drove my old car with the check engine light on for over a year. You can try unplugging the battery for 15 minutes, this will reset the light, and who knows maybe it won't come back on.

If you're really worried take it to Autozone and they can tell you why the light is on for free. Chances are it will be some type of emissions leak, which could be a loose gas cap or any number of minor issues. The problem is it can potentially cost a lot of money just to find out what the issue is.

I had to get my car inspected a couple months ago, check engine light was on, and they told me it was probably an 02 sensor. I paid $250 to have it replaced and the check engine light came right back on. I got it passed because I was able to keep it off for long enough but the light came right back on after I got my sticker.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

It can be really bad, and it could also be something very trivial and or a "mistake." That's an expensive game of chicken.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Mine's been on for about 8 months.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

My lights been on for at least half a year now but my mech just says the sensors screwed up. Not sure if I believe him though as I seem to have an oil leak
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen

The irony is that usually a check engine light warns you about something relatively minor, not big issues.

Usually when mine comes on it means $700 at the dealer. Scam?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

The problem with mechanics is that they know most of us aren't. They can tell us any things wrong with our car and how much it costs and there's a good chance we'll believe them. I once was referred to a mechanic by a friend when I had problems starting my car. Called the guy and he told me to bring my car in so he could check it out. I get a call back saying I need a new alternator and an oil change that would run me $1000. I didnt think that I was due for a change yet so I checked for the sticker on my windshield only to see that it had been removed. I then tell the guy ill think it over and get a second quote and left. I get a call a few minutes later saying he found a cheaper alternator and it would be 100-200 lower. I end up going to a mechanic another friend referred and got the alternator replaced for 300-400... It's a good idea to find a mechanic u can trust and stick to him
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

The best way to resolve a check engine light is to be friendly with someone who has the monitor reader at a service station. They plug in the reader and it'll tell them what the issue is. Often times it's just a matter of mileage or a timer that sets it off as a way to cue an oil change. And if you're up to date on that stuff, they can just turn it off.

The problem is that the reader is so goddamned expensive, that service stations invariably charge just for using it. And most places use it as an excuse to bill you a second time by claiming you need an oil change, or some other minor service, that perhaps could be handled elsewhere cheaper.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
Drove my old car with the check engine light on for over a year. You can try unplugging the battery for 15 minutes, this will reset the light, and who knows maybe it won't come back on.

If you're really worried take it to Autozone and they can tell you why the light is on for free. Chances are it will be some type of emissions leak, which could be a loose gas cap or any number of minor issues. The problem is it can potentially cost a lot of money just to find out what the issue is.

I had to get my car inspected a couple months ago, check engine light was on, and they told me it was probably an 02 sensor. I paid $250 to have it replaced and the check engine light came right back on. I got it passed because I was able to keep it off for long enough but the light came right back on after I got my sticker.
Not sure what state you or OP are in, but places like AutoZone can no longer do that in California.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
jaydacris
Al

i have a 2001 honda accord ex... ive had some funny problems with it, but both issues were covered by extended warranty and recall warranty repair. both instances i just dropped by the honda dealership asking what was up with these lights that were coming up on my car (check engine and srs).

first issue, around 5 years ago... EGR tubes got easily clogged with carbon buildup. was messing with the clutch/acceleration. apparently it was a common issue and HONDA had extended the warranty on it by 8 years.

then 2 years ago, SRS light on my dashboard kept coming up. went to the dealership.... needless to say they were very diligent and treated me like warranty. fixed the issue in a day and cleaned my car and gave me new floormats
problem was due to a recall in side passenger airbag,

i read about it after they fixed it:

Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING 2001 CIVIC AND ACCORD VEHICLES. THE DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE.

Consequence:
METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIR BAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING INJURY TO VEHICLE OCCUPANTS.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AIRBAG INFLATOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

haha good thing i got it fixed o_O, sounds dangerous
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Bandito
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
My lights been on for at least half a year now but my mech just says the sensors screwed up. Not sure if I believe him though as I seem to have an oil leak
check under the engine, and if you see oil (pretty much all goeey black and no gray metal) then you're pretty much fvcked. Or if you add oil continuously in your engine then you do have a leak. If you don't see any of the above you should be fine.

If a check engine is on and there isn't anything wrong with the car the sensors are probably busted and should be change.

But a check engine sometimes might be serious on the long haul. That is because a small thing might wear and tear something minuscule and then get worse over days, months even years. Is not something to freak out though, as a check engine is there as a warning most of the time.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: