Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #511
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Default Re: THE ONE: Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez - Sept 14th!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
At this point, I think Pacquiao might have to leave Top Rank for it to happen. There is so much bad blood between the two promoters/networks, I'd be surprised if they were even in the discussion.

It's not just TR/GBP anymore... Throw HBO/Showtime into the war. Time for Pacquiao to defect, I think. Arum's a snake anyway.

As for Floyd's future... I think Broner is probably going to happen, eventually.

Yea definitely, if he wants that dream fight, he needs to leave Top Rank. I think he has two fights left under contract so we'll see. Seems too loyal though.

Also, what makes you think the Broner fight can happen? From what they've said, it would never go down.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #512
Wally450
Poland <3

$150 million in revenue on 2.2 million buys.
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #513
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Yea definitely, if he wants that dream fight, he needs to leave Top Rank. I think he has two fights left under contract so we'll see. Seems too loyal though.

Also, what makes you think the Broner fight can happen? From what they've said, it would never go down.
It's just talk at this point. If Broner looks good against Maidana and whoever he fights after that (a big *if* because Broner's overrated), there will be a public clamoring for that fight. Too much money on the line to not make it happen before Floyd retires. I'm still not completely sold that Mayweather just has this final contract to play out and then he's done. Boxers are notorious for talking retirement and then continuing for years. If there is still money to be made and his skill level is still on point, I don't think he stops.

That's why planning your retirement so many years in advance probably isn't a great idea. We'll see what he's saying a couple years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally450
$150 million in revenue on 2.2 million buys.

Safe to say that makes up for the Guerrero debacle.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-20-2013 at 07:11 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #514
lefthook00
College star

I really want to see Judah-Broner, Khan-Broner, and Garcia-Broner.

I also want to see Terence Crawford face some more high profile fighters, I think he's ready. He is my favorite prospect by far!
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #515
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii

Maidana's been hurt by Josesito, Soto Karrass, Khan, Ortiz, Morales....now not counting those bums he KOd in Argentina, thats about every fight he has been seriously hurt in at some point of the fight.(Alexander slapped him around and hugged him to a UD )

Broner is stopping Maidana you can put your money on that. Yea he is a clown and doesnt have the best mobility in comparison to his days at 126 and 130, but dude is a beast finisher. Malignaggi will make anyone look bad in there with his movement. Maidana is gonna stand right in front of Broner in those middle rounds, when Broner really starts letting go of his power.
Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #516
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade305
Maidana's been hurt by Josesito, Soto Karrass, Khan, Ortiz, Morales....now not counting those bums he KOd in Argentina, thats about every fight he has been seriously hurt in at some point of the fight.(Alexander slapped him around and hugged him to a UD )

Broner is stopping Maidana you can put your money on that. Yea he is a clown and doesnt have the best mobility in comparison to his days at 126 and 130, but dude is a beast finisher. Malignaggi will make anyone look bad in there with his movement. Maidana is gonna stand right in front of Broner in those middle rounds, when Broner really starts letting go of his power.
Broner hasn't looked great in a few fights, imo. Neither Demarco nor Rees were anything to write home about. I'm not saying the guy isn't a talented fighter. He's got nice (not great) power and he has pretty fast hands on the rare occasion that he's not plodding forward, throwing one punch at a time.

I'm not sold on his defense, however, and I think his lack of head movement could cost him against a heavy hitter. I think a guy like Matthysse could give him all kinds of problems. First off, Matthysse's power will give most guys problems, but especially against Broner who is pretty stationary. On top of that, the thing that gives Matthysse problems (as was evident in the Garcia fight) are guys who throw combinations. He tends to stop punching and he covers up. Broner tends to throw one punch at a time these days.

We don't know much about Broner's chin, but I think Matthysse could put him on his @ss. I'd LOVE to see that fight, but it is probably out of the picture for now.

Broner is overrated, not because he isn't good, but because he's being heralded as the next elite fighter. He sort of reminds me of a young Cotto in terms of the hype he's getting. We all knew Cotto was good, but HBO was trying to pass him off as the next great fighter in the world.

I just don't think he's that once-in-every-10-years type talent that you saw from Mayweather or even Pacquiao. Then again, he still hasn't fought anyone of any real consequence, so I guess I should reserve judgement.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #517
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade305

Yeah Maidana can definitely get hurt, but he has great recovery. I think the bigger question is if Broner can take Maidana's punches.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #518
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Broner hasn't looked great in a few fights, imo. Neither Demarco nor Rees were anything to write home about. I'm not saying the guy isn't a talented fighter. He's got nice (not great) power and he has pretty fast hands on the rare occasion that he's not plodding forward, throwing one punch at a time.

I'm not sold on his defense, however, and I think his lack of head movement could cost him against a heavy hitter. I think a guy like Matthysse could give him all kinds of problems. First off, Matthysse's power will give most guys problems, but especially against Broner who is pretty stationary. On top of that, the thing that gives Matthysse problems (as was evident in the Garcia fight) are guys who throw combinations. He tends to stop punching and he covers up. Broner tends to throw one punch at a time these days.

We don't know much about Broner's chin, but I think Matthysse could put him on his @ss. I'd LOVE to see that fight, but it is probably out of the picture for now.

Broner is overrated, not because he isn't good, but because he's being heralded as the next elite fighter. He sort of reminds me of a young Cotto in terms of the hype he's getting. We all knew Cotto was good, but HBO was trying to pass him off as the next great fighter in the world.

I just don't think he's that once-in-every-10-years type talent that you saw from Mayweather or even Pacquiao. Then again, he still hasn't fought anyone of any real consequence, so I guess I should reserve judgement.
Once Broner beats Maidana, Matthysse is next. He said he wants him.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #519
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I hope he does want him. Broner better have a beard if he wants that fight. Maybe he knows something we don't?

Did he say that before or after the Garcia fight?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #520
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Quote:

Thurman would literally kill Broner if he fights him next year. Malignalli is a a Bum, and Broner didn't even destroy him. Broner is the next Andre berto.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #521
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Thurman would literally kill Broner if he fights him next year. Malignalli is a a Bum, and Broner didn't even destroy him. Broner is the next Andre berto.
Malignaggi is not a bum, he just doesn't have any power. If Paulie could punch, he'd be an elite fighter. He just wasn't born with that ability. He's still a good boxer who has made a lot of guys look bad over the years, even in his losses. I mean, Malignaggi dominated Pablo Cesar Cano just before he fought Broner. Cano is not exactly a slouch (barely lost to Mosley a few months back).

As for Thurman, he is just as unproven as Broner if not moreso. Even though I think Broner is overrated, he's probably better than Berto ever was.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #522
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
I hope he does want him. Broner better have a beard if he wants that fight. Maybe he knows something we don't?

Did he say that before or after the Garcia fight?
He's been saying it for a while. He said he wanted he Argentina boys. After he gets done with Maidana he wants Lucas. If he fights just like Danny GArcia, he should win easily. And I think Broner is a little better than Garcia.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #523
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
He's been saying it for a while. He said he wanted he Argentina boys. After he gets done with Maidana he wants Lucas. If he fights just like Danny GArcia, he should win easily. And I think Broner is a little better than Garcia.
He's a completely different kind of fighter. First of all, Garcia has a world-class chin. We know nothing about Broner's beard. Secondly, the main thing giving Matthysse problems in the second half of the fight (along with his eye) was the combination punching by Garcia. Broner tends to pot shot with one or two punches at a time.

I wouldn't draw anything from Garcia-Matthysse when it comes to predicting a Broner-Matthysse fight. The biggest question is, can Broner take that kind of power? Garcia could, but he's not exactly your run-of-the-mill chin.

And, Matthysse will hit Broner, who is often a stationary target.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #524
lefthook00
College star

I think Broner's biggest problem is his potshotting actually, a fighter that young should be throwing way more combos, he shouldn't be potshotting so much at this stage of his career.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: