Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #316
Deleterious
Banned
 
Deleterious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,743
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

lol @ CNN and this Danny dude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DCZxsrt9I
Deleterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #317
HarryCallahan
Banned
 
HarryCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,636
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
That's an interesting thought albeit not true at all. The japanese government was completely neutered at this time, the millitary complex was not going to essentially remove their existence. Japan was trying to surrender, yes japanese people wanted to surrender, the government wanted to, the millitary was not going to.

If this was true it would be a huge bone of contention all over for japanese, for anti bomb people, etc. And it's not at all because it's really twisting a situation's facts around.

I'm 100% against any action toward Syria but your comparison isn't valid.

That's your argument? That because you haven't heard it, then it must not be true?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Decision-U.../dp/067976285X
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #318
daily
I rattle in 5-footers
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,300
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallahan


Oh f*ck I'm dying here..

This thread has officially gone off the rails when we start quoting that crackpots work
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #319
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,747
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
That's your argument? That because you haven't heard it, then it must not be true?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Decision-U.../dp/067976285X
Yes, somewhere along the 70 or so years since then people who have spent their whole life against the war might have mentioned the fact they were trying to surrender as they were bombed. No one talks about it because it's a rewriting of history after the fact.

We can go back and forth if the bomb was necessary and you probably have my opinion dead wrong, but going back and rewriting the situation to remove any ambiquity is just wrong and tbh, kind of lazy.

And note: Obama should go to Congress if he is not 100% decided on an action. Congress in theory represents the american people, and the people don't want to attack Syria. I don't get how being prudent makes one week.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #320
LoPro4u2c
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 574
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Attacking Syria is just a waste of time now. By now, Syria has moved the important military weapons that they hold dear, the technology that's important to the regime, electronics that they use on a regular basis, etc. If Obama does decide to attack Syria, the locations that are targeted will have nothing but old military weapons and shit that the Assad regime no longer uses.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Syria has a location filled with military goods that the Syrians want the Americans to attack only for the Americans to find out that all that military crap is outdated.
LoPro4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #321
Deleterious
Banned
 
Deleterious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,743
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

This is way before the attack published by Dailymail.. Can't find the original article.
Quote:
PUBLISHED: 14:16 EST, 29 January 2013

http://web.archive.org/web/201301292...ame-Assad.html
U.S. 'backed plan to launch chemical weapon attack on Syria and blame it on Assad's regime

#Leaked emails from defense contractor refers to chemical weapons saying 'the idea is approved by Washington'
#Obama issued warning to Syrian president Bashar al-Assad last month that use of chemical warfare was 'totally unacceptable'

Leaked emails have allegedly proved that the White House gave the green light to a chemical weapons attack in Syria that could be blamed on Assad's regime and in turn, spur international military action in the devastated country.

A report released on Monday contains an email exchange between two senior officials at British-based contractor Britam Defence where a scheme 'approved by Washington' is outlined explaining that Qatar would fund rebel forces in Syria to use chemical weapons.
Deleterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #322
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,747
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleterious
This is way before the attack published by Dailymail.. Can't find the original article.
I don't doubt the US is looking for provocation but this falls into the "i will believe anything that supports my point" bucket of evidence. Made up shit on top of made up shit cover in made up shit.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #323
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,747
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacers4ever
Anyone see the video of the rebel ripping the heart and liver of the syrian soldier then eat it Can we stay out of this please
This is my view 100%.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #324
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star
 
oh the horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 12,976
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

So on the news they're interviewing some Joe Politician, and dude says "I don't see how this would be a threat to our national security"


So....involving yourself in a conflict that isn't your own, that is intertwined with various other factors....bombing them...you don't see how that could have consequences?
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #325
HarryCallahan
Banned
 
HarryCallahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,636
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily


Oh f*ck I'm dying here..

This thread has officially gone off the rails when we start quoting that crackpots work

Fellow at Cambridge, fellow at Harvard= Crackpot. Got it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Yes, somewhere along the 70 or so years since then people who have spent their whole life against the war might have mentioned the fact they were trying to surrender as they were bombed. No one talks about it because it's a rewriting of history after the fact.

We can go back and forth if the bomb was necessary and you probably have my opinion dead wrong, but going back and rewriting the situation to remove any ambiquity is just wrong and tbh, kind of lazy.

And note: Obama should go to Congress if he is not 100% decided on an action. Congress in theory represents the american people, and the people don't want to attack Syria. I don't get how being prudent makes one week.

Stop being disingenuous. Plenty of people cite this, there have been many books have been written. It is false to state that "somewhere along the 70 or so years since then people who have spent their whole life against the war might have mentioned the fact they were trying to surrender as they were bombed" your ignorance doesn't change the fact that Hirohito was trying to avoid being tried for war crimes and retain the position of emperor, he got both things anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second paragraph? It's fairly vague. It was wrong to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki, there's no ambiguity about it.

Don't pay attention to people who speak like that. They are partisan hacks. If he had an (R) next to his name, he'd be "prudent and all the (D)'s would be calling him either a war criminal or weak.
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #326
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,747
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
Fellow at Cambridge, fellow at Harvard= Crackpot. Got it.




Stop being disingenuous. Plenty of people cite this, there have been many books have been written. It is false to state that "somewhere along the 70 or so years since then people who have spent their whole life against the war might have mentioned the fact they were trying to surrender as they were bombed" your ignorance doesn't change the fact that Hirohito was trying to avoid being tried for war crimes and retain the position of emperor, he got both things anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second paragraph? It's fairly vague. It was wrong to nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki, there's no ambiguity about it.

Don't pay attention to people who speak like that. They are partisan hacks. If he had an (R) next to his name, he'd be "prudent and all the (D)'s would be calling him either a war criminal or weak.

The people in charge didn't want to surrender, you're just talking about something's that's utterly false. I'm glad you found someone to support your position, it's still revisionist bullshit.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #327
gigantes
A piece of fluff
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,674
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

trying to keep a little neural space open to evaluate this thing. right now it sure sounds like this is way more than just some batshit crazy rebels pulling cruel stunts. more like huge segments of the general populace who are being treated mercilessly.


9 questions about Syria you were too embarrassed to ask
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rassed-to-ask/



the way this runs (from what i've read so far), it almost doesn't matter to me that assad may have used banned weapons. he's absolutely brutalising the people, either way.

my other concern is still the same, tho-- why should the US have to be one of the only payers for a bombing operation? no, tragic as it is, we must still wait for the UN mandate... no?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #328
Deleterious
Banned
 
Deleterious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,743
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
trying to keep a little neural space open to evaluate this thing. right now it sure sounds like this is way more than just some batshit crazy rebels pulling cruel stunts. more like huge segments of the general populace who are being treated mercilessly.


9 questions about Syria you were too embarrassed to ask
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rassed-to-ask/



the way this runs (from what i've read so far), it almost doesn't matter to me that assad may have used banned weapons. he's absolutely brutalising the people, either way.

my other concern is still the same, tho-- why should the US have to be one of the only payers for a bombing operation? no, tragic as it is, we must still wait for the UN mandate... no?

funny article. lots of lies.
Deleterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #329
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,747
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

What i don't like about an intervention here is I don't see how it helps.
1) I don't see a clear message from the rebels. I'm not even sure it's remotely clear who leads them.
2) BOTH sides are committing atrocities. Assad used chemical weapons. Rephrehensible. But if we were to remove him, we'd put more than likely just as bad people in charge, but more fragmented. Meaning most likely more war.
3) A measured (limited) response shows what? That we can blow the shit out of Syria? Anyone doubt that?

Millitary action's purpose should be to accomplish an aim and prevent more conflict. This accomplishes nothing and extends the current conflict. if they wanted Assad out, they could have helped a long time ago, not now when he's entrenched again.

I say no go on Syria.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #330
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,747
Default Re: Breaking: US and Britain pledge to use force within two weeks in Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleterious
funny article. lots of lies.
Such as what? It's all very basic, it gives the viewpoint of the US, not says the viewpoint is right. It's not slanted, it's factual, but very basic.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy