Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #1501
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Eurobasket 2013 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.hee
Cool. Would be awesome to see teams as stacked as possible next year. They're the favorite with Noah in my opinion. The guy is just amazing.

IMO Spain is the favorite if all teams are full strength, especially in front of a home crowd. Although I have trouble betting against Team USA in any circumstance especially since Durant and Love have already committed. France is definitely a contender for a medal at full strength though.

Spain has a great blend of players to take advantage of the FIBA rules. A full strength Spain would probably be something like this:
Calderon - Rubio - Rodriguez
Navarro - Llull
Fernandez - San Emeterio
Pau - Reyes- Claver
Marc - Ibaka
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #1502
Miller for 3
Local High School Star

Miller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMiller for 3 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
IMO Spain is the favorite if all teams are full strength, especially in front of a home crowd. Although I have trouble betting against Team USA in any circumstance especially since Durant and Love have already committed. France is definitely a contender for a medal at full strength though.

Spain has a great blend of players to take advantage of the FIBA rules. A full strength Spain would probably be something like this:
Navarro - Llull
Fernandez - San Emeterio
Pau - Reyes- Claver
Marc - Ibaka

I haven't heard, but are Pau, Navarro and Ibaka expected to play at the 2014 WC? I figured it would be the last hurrah for Navarro and Pau. Man, a USA-Spain match in front of crazed Spanish fans next year has me pumped
Miller for 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #1503
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

On Sunday:

Nemanja Nedovic outplayed Tony Parker and Serbia beat France 77-65 Sunday at the European basketball championship.

The win gave Serbia first place in Group E, with both teams having already qualified for the quarterfinals.

Nedovic, headed for the Golden State Warriors in the NBA, finished with 17 points and provided some of the highlights of the game. Parker, the San Antonio Spurs stars, was held to 10 points.

Earlier, Sacha Massot had a key block and a dunk late in the game to help give Belgium a 60-56 victory over Latvia that sent Ukraine into the quarterfinals.

-- Associated Press
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #1504
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has a near all-star reputation herejamal99 has a near all-star reputation herejamal99 has a near all-star reputation herejamal99 has a near all-star reputation herejamal99 has a near all-star reputation herejamal99 has a near all-star reputation here

I can't believe there's no video of Nedovic breaking Parker's ankles. FIBA didn't include it in top 5 or even game highlights...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #1505
dr.hee
National High School Star

dr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder

Navarro - Llull
Fernandez - San Emeterio
Pau - Reyes- Claver
Marc - Ibaka

Didn't even think about team USA, what the hell is wrong with me? If Pau, Ibaka and Navarro are going to play next year, I'd agree that Spain looks fantastic. I've read that Ibaka wasn't happy with his role on the team last year, and at least from what I've heard, he kinda doesn't want to play limited minutes. So I can see Ibaka not playing next year. I mean they won't bench Pau in maybe his last big tournament. No way Ibaka starts when both Gasols are playing.

Would like watching Ibaka next year though, it's hilarious when he's completely overreacting to fakes and stuff from less athletic crafty Euro guys around the rim, being used to all the NBA slashers going for highlight plays.
Don't know, this current Spanish squad plus Pau/Navarro against France with their players missing could be more close than people might think.

As a German, I still hope we get a wildcard. Wouldn't say this makes much sense, but would be cool to see Dirk one last time in a big tournament. While the team isn't really good at all, it's not as hopeless as it was a few years ago. Schröder/Schaffartzik/Günther wouldn't be a PG rotation any other team should be scared of, but it's still better than anything we've had during the medal runs in 2002 and 2005. And Pleiß playing like this year would be the best center Nowitzki ever played with in the national team, too. Put up like 10/10 on good efficiency. Yeah, we are that bad...we think Tibor Pleiß is awesome Benzing migh be the best second option I can remember since Dirk plays for Germany, too. They would be fun to watch at least.
dr.hee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #1506
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Eric Cartman is considered somewhat coolEric Cartman is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Didn't even think about team USA, what the hell is wrong with me? If Pau, Ibaka and Navarro are going to play next year, I'd agree that Spain looks fantastic. I've read that Ibaka wasn't happy with his role on the team last year, and at least from what I've heard, he kinda doesn't want to play limited minutes. So I can see Ibaka not playing next year. I mean they won't bench Pau in maybe his last big tournament. No way Ibaka starts when both Gasols are playing.

Would like watching Ibaka next year though, it's hilarious when he's completely overreacting to fakes and stuff from less athletic crafty Euro guys around the rim, being used to all the NBA slashers going for highlight plays.
Don't know, this current Spanish squad plus Pau/Navarro against France with their players missing could be more close than people might think.

As a German, I still hope we get a wildcard. Wouldn't say this makes much sense, but would be cool to see Dirk one last time in a big tournament. While the team isn't really good at all, it's not as hopeless as it was a few years ago. Schröder/Schaffartzik/Günther wouldn't be a PG rotation any other team should be scared of, but it's still better than anything we've had during the medal runs in 2002 and 2005. And Pleiß playing like this year would be the best center Nowitzki ever played with in the national team, too. Put up like 10/10 on good efficiency. Yeah, we are that bad...we think Tibor Pleiß is awesome Benzing migh be the best second option I can remember since Dirk plays for Germany, too. They would be fun to watch at least.

How did you guys beat France?
Eric Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #1507
dr.hee

dr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation heredr.hee has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
How did you guys beat France?

Don't know, maybe they lowered the difficulty level?

I'd suppose France kinda underestimated them. It's not great or anyting, but still the second highest scoring team in the tournament, averaging 78 ppg.
Also one of the worst defenses, but France maybe really didn't expect this young team could drop 80 on them. Germany also outrebounded France 29 to 18. We could've made it to the next round with a bit smarter play, but would've been completely shut down by better teams getting serious. Not enough defense to grind out a close game against good opponents. With a wildcard and the missing NBA players, this could be a fun high scoring team to watch. Not a medal or anything, but entertaining for sure.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #1508
Qwertyazerty
Decent playground baller

Qwertyazerty has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

Don't know, this current Spanish squad plus Pau/Navarro against France with their players missing could be more close than people might think

Ibaka would be crazy not to go, there is a huge debate about who should actually get the only naturalized player spot in spanish NT. Mirotic would be excellent fit in Spain to play along Marc and or Pau.

I really like France, but I don't see them as close to a full Spain as you claim... Pau and Ibaka/Mirotic would give a very good inside rotation (which is actually missing them), Navarro just brings to them one of most feared exterior threat to balance the whole thing. Actual Spain has good players, but Marc is the only reference and you can see them struggling too easily. Add Pau and Navarro plus a decent inside rotation and they are still the second best National team in the world.
Qwertyazerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #1509
dr.hee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyazerty
Ibaka would be crazy not to go, there is a huge debate about who should actually get the only naturalized player spot in spanish NT. Mirotic would be excellent fit in Spain to play along Marc and or Pau.

Don't know how this works...so both Mirotic and Ibaka isn't possible?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #1510
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Don't know how this works...so both Mirotic and Ibaka isn't possible?

yup

you can only have one naturalized player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
I can't believe there's no video of Nedovic breaking Parker's ankles. FIBA didn't include it in top 5 or even game highlights...

is he the 'serbian derrick rose' kid?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #1511
andz
I brick open layups

andz has an OK reputation so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1nlia6Q2zQ
andz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #1512
screeningnick
Can barely lace up my sneakers

screeningnick has an OK reputation so far

Hey guys,

Anyone got some good tips on the Croatia v Greece game? Whats at stake? Match ups? Who you think will win?

Cheers
screeningnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #1513
dr.hee

Quote:
Originally Posted by screeningnick
Hey guys,

Anyone got some good tips on the Croatia v Greece game? Whats at stake? Match ups? Who you think will win?

Cheers

If I'm not mistaken, Greece has to win and then hope that Italy beats Spain to advance. Matchup wise...Greece is a more talented team and better offensively. Croatia on the other hand is the best rebounding team of the tournament and only allowed 67 ppg so far. So I'd say it's going to be a tough game. If it's a slow grind out type of thing, I'd say Croatia has a chance. But if Greece can push it and attack the basket aggressively, they should win. Greece has the most talented individual player on the court in V-Span, but he's turnover prone and streaky. Still clearly the best player on both teams on a good day.

Last edited by dr.hee : 09-16-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #1514
screeningnick
Can barely lace up my sneakers

screeningnick has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Greece has to win and then hope that Italy beats Spain to advance. Matchup wise...Greece is a more talented team and better offensively. Croatia on the other hand is the best rebounding team of the tournament and only allowed 67 ppg so far. So I'd say it's going to be a tough game. If it's a slow grind out type of thing, I'd say Croatia has a chance. But if Greece can push it and attack the basket aggressively, they should win.

Thanks man.

Pulling for Croatia. Greece also only has 10 players and as you said Croatia is the best rebounding team in the tournament whilst Greece is one of the worst.
screeningnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #1515
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Yeah, from what I read he wasn't happy about his role on the team. I don't think it was as much to do with Pau and Marc starting as it was Reyes getting important minutes ahead of him. Spain has a new coach so we'll have to see if he promises him a more prominent role.

As much as I'd like to see the Germans get a wildcard, there's so many good teams that will be contention - Brazil, Russia, Turkey, Canada, and possibly Greece. You've got to assume China will get one so it could be 2 European teams and 1 American or they might do 1 African, 1 European, and 1 American. A full strength German team could do some damage, no doubt.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: