Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #46
CeltsGarlic
so sophisticated

Default Re: Eurobasket 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
Lithuania had a lot better guard rotation las year because of Kaukenas and Jasikevicius and until JV shows he became great player I will consider them weaker than in 2011.

Well, if you ask me , I consider them stronger. MUUUCH STRONGER.

Better coach, extremely good frontcourt, great bench in all positions, except PG.

Even if Kalnietis fails we are still better than we were in 2011. And if hes good its no question.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #47
duskovujosevic
Decent playground baller

Lithuanian guards are not elite shooters like they used to be 10-15 years ago. So 3 point shooting is not their main weapon anymore. I expect diferent approach by Lithuania
duskovujosevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 AM   #48
CeltsGarlic
so sophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskovujosevic
Lithuanian guards are not elite shooters like they used to be 10-15 years ago. So 3 point shooting is not their main weapon anymore. I expect diferent approach by Lithuania

yep, good old drive kick back, drive kick back, drive kick back are not going to fly.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #49
Dr.J4ever
Justice4 the ABA

I'm very pumped with the upcoming Eurobasket 2013. What will I be watching?

1. My favorite Euro player, Rubio. Euroleague basically calls him a fraud and a "scrub" in Europe. Normally, euroleague's opinion is not worth more than a bucket of @#$%, but some Euros actually agree with him on this. So from initial reports I've heard, and I could be wrong, Rubio will be starting in the back court with Calderon. Obviously, Spain believes in Rubio. Let us observe his play.

2. Serbia. I would like to see Teodosic. How good is he? And how good can he be in the NBA, if he ever signed there.

3. Lithuania. I would assume Val is playing. Is Lithuania rebounding and becoming a power again?

4. Greece and Spanoulis. I have said that Greece is declining. They peaked in 2006 when they defeated the US. Last year's embarrassment to Nigeria is starting to show that they may need to revamp their entire program.
We will see.

5. The overall level of play. Is Europe ready to challenge the US again, like they did in the early part of the 2000's? Or is Europe declining? Are they producing a new generation of players, or are they leaning on the same older players who have already been defeated by US ballers the last few years?

We may get some answers in the next couple of weeks.
Dr.J4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #50
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever

1. My favorite Euro player, Rubio. Euroleague basically calls him a fraud and a "scrub" in Europe. Normally, euroleague's opinion is not worth more than a bucket of @#$%, but some Euros actually agree with him on this. So from initial reports I've heard, and I could be wrong, Rubio will be starting in the back court with Calderon. Obviously, Spain believes in Rubio. Let us observe his play.

2. Serbia. I would like to see Teodosic. How good is he? And how good can he be in the NBA, if he ever signed there.

3. Lithuania. I would assume Val is playing. Is Lithuania rebounding and becoming a power again?

4. Greece and Spanoulis. I have said that Greece is declining. They peaked in 2006 when they defeated the US. Last year's embarrassment to Nigeria is starting to show that they may need to revamp their entire program.
We will see.

5. The overall level of play. Is Europe ready to challenge the US again, like they did in the early part of the 2000's? Or is Europe declining? Are they producing a new generation of players, or are they leaning on the same older players who have already been defeated by US ballers the last few years?

1. Rubio wasn't too good, but everyone knew he's young and has crazy potential which slowly starts showing, he's better player now than back then, this eurobasket will show by how much though.

2. Woulnd't have too much success in NBA but definetly could be starter in some teams even though his style is better for euro ball, unique player, quite streaky and never afraid to take big shots at the end of the games, problem is percentage of the oens he makes is probably very low, basically goes hero chuck mode too often.

3. Probably has best frontcourt and rebounding with that aswell, problem is that we have no real pg and no substitution to Kalnietis which isn't a true pg anyways, will have to use sgs and wings to share pg duties, we'll see how that works.

4. They got better, one of the top teams, yes Spanoulis is one of top players in europe, but he's still overrated in my eyes and too ref dependant, but it's ok for him as they are on his side like everytime...

5. Despite some big names not attending this eurobakset I feel like level got better overall for sure, teams like Spain and Lithuania would still have close games with USA, and in few years might get dangerous for them to meet Lithuania especially seeing it was never easy game for USA against us, ofcourse USA still would be favorites against any team. As for Argentina, future doesn't look bright.
Sakkreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #51
Dr.J4ever
Justice4 the ABA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakkreth
1. Rubio wasn't too good, but everyone knew he's young and has crazy potential which slowly starts showing, he's better player now than back then, this eurobasket will show by how much though.

2. Woulnd't have too much success in NBA but definetly could be starter in some teams even though his style is better for euro ball, unique player, quite streaky and never afraid to take big shots at the end of the games, problem is percentage of the oens he makes is probably very low, basically goes hero chuck mode too often.

3. Probably has best frontcourt and rebounding with that aswell, problem is that we have no real pg and no substitution to Kalnietis which isn't a true pg anyways, will have to use sgs and wings to share pg duties, we'll see how that works.

4. They got better, one of the top teams, yes Spanoulis is one of top players in europe, but he's still overrated in my eyes and too ref dependant, but it's ok for him as they are on his side like everytime...

5. Despite some big names not attending this eurobakset I feel like level got better overall for sure, teams like Spain and Lithuania would still have close games with USA, and in few years might get dangerous for them to meet Lithuania especially seeing it was never easy game for USA against us, ofcourse USA still would be favorites against any team. As for Argentina, future doesn't look bright.

Yes, I think you could be right about Lithuania. Besides, Valencionas, who played very well in the Summer League, after a pretty solid rookie campaign in the NBA, you also have Donatas(don't make me type his last name).
So, I forgot about that. In your case, there is some new young talent, but alas, your back court can no longer rely on Sarunas as in the past.
Dr.J4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #52
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
Hey hey hey, lets not get too far, alright? :)

markota is a fvcking shit of a player. Hate that guy, even tho he played for Zalgiris and Ive seen 50+ games of his. Dude sucks. Lampe is good.soft, but good. Not my fav player tho.

And even with those aditions, I wouldnt call them a top 10 team in europe. No way.

Lampe is probably the best big man playing in Europe right now.
Markota doesn't suck in the Euro format, that is nonsense, he didn't even play a full season for Zalgiris so you can't possibly have seen 50 games of his. And he played for Zalgiris 5 years ago, when he was 22..

And with Jerebko, Taylor, prime Mbemba and Maraker they'd easily be a top 10 team in Europe.

Last edited by millwad : 08-31-2013 at 07:02 AM.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #53
alenleomessi
yeah bitch! magnets!

worst case scenario -1/4 finals
best case scenario - bronze medal

we are playing in a good group but the teams are missing lots of the keys players... so we should be at least 2nd in this group... in the 2nd round we will play with the best 3 from group which has france as the only good team... which means our place in the 1/4 finals is almost guaranteed... ( and btw if parker doesnt play we can take the france too )

1/4 finals im confident we can win IF we dont play spain
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #54
duskovujosevic
Decent playground baller

Quote:

He was injured throughout july and august. He recently started to train with NT. I am afraid you wont see much.
duskovujosevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #55
S13M
Serious playground baller

Would have liked to see Erik Murphy play for Finland. He would have added size which is what we need.
S13M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #56
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Quote:

We will see.

1. I watched some of their preparation games and I think that Llull and Rodrigez will have more minutes than Rubio.

2. Teodosic has been injured for 3 months now but because he's our best player and he wants to help Ivkovic decided to wait for him and tommorow we'll now if he'll go but even if he does go he won't play at first stage and latter will play 5-10 minutes (you would be suprised what he can do with that little time when healthy). If you watch Seriba you should pay attention to Micic, he was best pg in u19 WC this year and was one of 3 best players in Mega Vizura and lead them to Adriatic league, Bjelica (Minnesota drafted him) who will be one of the leaders of the team, and Nedovic and Bogdanovic at sg. You should also pay attention to Rasko Katic who reached his peak at age 33 and becomes better every day so people even joke how he will break Prigionis record for oldest rookie in NBA, in our last preparation turnament he destroyed Tomic and played very good against Asik.

3. As Sakkreth said they have no pgs but they can beat every team when they start hitting 3s but if it's not their night they will have to rely on JVs scoring.

4. Greece isn''t declining they have some very good young players who will only become better, best of them being Papanikolaou
Fiba basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #57
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
I just copied this list from an some article from few weeks ago I didn't write it. Diamantidis stoped playing for NT few years ago so he doesn't count. Mirotic was offered to play after Ibak said no but he didn't want to so they both said no to Spain NT.

Spain is much weaker than before and I don't think they'll take the gold.
France is missing Noah, Turiaf, Gobert, Traore etc. so they don't have good C. Against Spain they were playing Lauvergne as a C but he is a pf and can't defend stronger Cs.
Lithuania had a lot better guard rotation las year because of Kaukenas and Jasikevicius and until JV shows he became great player I will consider them weaker than in 2011.
Serbia, Germany, GB, Russia are clearly weaker but so are Italy (no Galinari,Bargnani or Hackett) and Turkey (their best players are old now).
Macedonia also has an older team now and won't be good as in 2011.
Slovenia will also be worse because they won't have Lorbek who is their best player, same goes for Montenegro because they won't have Pekovic.

So tell me what countries are better than in 2011 ? Greece probably is but othere than that I don't see any othere team that is goging to be better than before ( and I'm not talking about instead of loosing all games you win 1 or 2) ?

Serbia is weaker how? They sucked the last 2 years and now they actually play decently. They got better.

Spain is a lot weaker? How? They don't seem a lot weaker to me. They miss Navarro and Pau, but they are not much weaker. They actually are better on defense for example with those two gone, and they are better at running the floor also.

They miss from the offense in half court and the clutch ability of Navarro, but certainly they are not "much" weaker.

France is just the same as they were. Ajinca is a good center, much better than Turiaf, Gobert, or Traore. Noah is a miss for them, but then again he wasn't that good when he played for them. He's just a hustle and energy guy for the most part.

Plus they added some better outside shooting from the guard position, which they always severely lacked before. So there is no difference in the level of France.

Lithuania was not better last year. They are clearly better THIS year. And Jasikevicius and Kaukenas are washed up has beens. They can barely contribute anything, especially Kaukenas, who is an ex player. Jasikevicius only comes up now in certain situations.

Don't know what you are watching, but Lithuania looks better to me this year. Sure their point guard position sucks, as Kalnieits and Delininkaitis are not actually point guards, and are playing out of position, but the rest of their team is better than it was last year for the most part.

Their coach also fits their team better.

Italy? How is Italy worse when 2 of the 3 super ball hogs (Gallinari and Bargnani) won't play? If they just got rid of the third super ball hog (Belineli), they might actually win something. Bargnani and Belineli are 2 of the 3 worst FIBA players, along with Hedo, that there are.

Italy gets better by default without Bargnani and Galinari hogging the freaking hell out of the ball, chucking like crazy, and refusing to play any defense ever. If they just got rid of Belineli, they could actually be a decent time.

Macedonia is weaker? What? They are not weaker at all.

Slovenia is weaker? How is Slovenia weaker? They have plenty of good players and they play at home, which means an advantage, plus help from the refs. Lorbek factor is way overstated by you. He's a 50/50 proposition. One year he plays great, another year he plays terribly and does nothing but hurt his team. He's the most inconsistent player ever. He was absolutely terrible at the last tournament.

No way is Slovenia going to be weaker, when they play at home.

You start to sound like an NBA only fan. You are just listing a bunch of names and doing no analysis whatsoever.

Perfect example is Serbia. I don't care for all those players they are missing, in terms of evaluating how they are playing. The bottom line is they are playing better than they did the last 2 years (especially last year) with those other players.

Did you watch Serbia last year? They were atrociously bad. They look much better right now, regardless of whatever players are on the team, they are actually playing as a team on offense and defense, and following what Ivkovic wants.

That alone is an improvement. And some of those guys you list as an absence for them played bad usually for the national team. I mean what has Erceg ever done?

Also, Greece isn't stronger. They just actually got a preparation period. Last year Greece had ZERO days of preparation before the tournament started, and the coach and several players of the team did not even have a day off from their club teams. They actually had guys flying from Italian league and Turkish league and going straight to Venezuela.

Last edited by Euroleague : 08-31-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #58
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
Lampe is better than any Greek big and Greece got no players better than Jerebko and Taylor.

Put down the meth pipe.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #59
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakkreth

Yeah, every time Olympiacos plays against Panathinaikos, the refs are clearly on Spanoulis' side....

Old 08-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #60
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Yes, I think you could be right about Lithuania. Besides, Valencionas, who played very well in the Summer League, after a pretty solid rookie campaign in the NBA, you also have Donatas(don't make me type his last name).
So, I forgot about that. In your case, there is some new young talent, but alas, your back court can no longer rely on Sarunas as in the past.

Right...the only players in the world worth anything play in the NBA. Right....

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: