Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Top PG Emmanuel Mudiay commits to SMU

Larry Brown scored the biggest victory in his tenure at SMU on Saturday, earning the commitment of the No. 2 point guard and No. 5 overall player in the ESPN 100, Emmanuel Mudiay (Prime Prep/Arlington, Texas).

Mudiay picked SMU over Baylor, Kansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma State. He is the highest-rated player to ever choose the Mustangs.

-- RecruitingNation/ESPN.com
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Top PG Emmanuel Mudiay commits to SMU

I got my first look at Mudiay during the Under Armor Elite game in Brooklyn at ESPN the other day. In fact, I watched it twice last week. It was a pretty compelling game by all-star game standards.

I have to say I was really impressed by Mudiay. He may not be an elite elite athlete, but he's a big kid, with great instincts, who's really willing to use his size. He played a ton in the mid post, really read the defense seeing over people on the top PnR. I had no idea he was that highly regarded. He apparently announce SMU at halftime, and my first instinct was to wonder how he was that under the radar, only later to find out that he wasn't, it was just a steal by Larry Brown and SMU (I also wasn't aware until after the fact that he was from Texas, which makes the choice more logical). I guess the only real concern is if that shot is real. From what I read there's some streakiness in that jumper, and when I saw him it was flowing. When a big guard is shooting well, he's a nearly impossible guard, but if he's off, I wonder how effective he'll be. But his instinct to use his size I think will offset whatever disadvantage that may cause.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

I watched him some during the EYBL and he was very unimpressive. Looking at his stats: he played 13 games, averaged 14.6 ppg and 5.0 apg on 38%/15%/69%. His team went 7-11. I don't know what their record was when Mudiay played.

Now he doesn't play on a particularly talented team, but in the past that usually meant the star player would stat pad. As an example, Tyus Jones plays on a relatively weak AAU team and his team still went 12-6 with him leading the way at: 22.8 ppg and 6.8 apg on 57%/45%/88%. Jones' team is basically him and Reid Travis (a top 50 big).

Through the entire EYBL, Mudiay was probably the 4th 2014 best PG on the circuit behind Jones, Berry, and Ulis. Maybe even behind Lyle. He just wasn't that good.

Granted, up to that point, I have only seen him at the EYBL and once in a high school game about a year ago so my sample size isn't great. It's that when some of the top scouts compare you to John Wall (who I watched a lot of and he was consistently spectacular in high school), I except to see a something resembling John Wall. I also heard he played well at some of the lesser tournaments.

You can't teach 6-5 in a PG, though, and for that reason it wouldn't shock me if he ends up as the best pro PG in the class. He does have natural point guard instincts at his size and physical tools unlike most NBA PGs. He reminds more of slightly more athletic Tyreke Evans, with better PG skills and a much less talented driver. Larry Brown is a good choice to learn from how to play the position, too.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Bless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this board

^^^^^^^

I don't know what you saw. Everything I've seen shows me he will be great. Great handles. Great court awareness good passes

Even got post up game. No match for smaller pgs.

He is a one and doner for sure. And I'm sure Larry brown sold him on teaching the real on being an NBA player.
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
38%/15%/69%

That's the part that makes me wonder a little.

I'm guessing that's 38% from the floor, 15% from 3, 69% from the FT line.

And if he played 13 games, then that's not a statistically insignificant sample size for HS or college. You're talking a third to a half of a season.

69% is passable. You could reasonably expect to be over 75% with some extra work, focus, and just physical maturity. I would think he gets to the stripe pretty regularly given his size and the seemingly physical style he plays.

15% is really not good. Especially for a guard as big as him. Sometimes you see the smallish HS PGs not shoot great from deep, usually due to strength issues, but Mudiay is put together. It may be an indicator of decision making issues as well.

And that's particularly true combined with the 38% from the field. That number isn't totally out of wack. Again, particularly with the smallish type tempo PGs. But that's not good for a PG as big and physical as Mudiay appears to be. Does it reflect an issue with the jumper in general? I don't know. I know he was hot when I saw him, but it also didn't appear the shot had any real issues, other than perhaps a tendency to drift a bit. But he also took a lot off the bounce, not really catch and shoot.
To me, I'd guess the low FG% is particularly affected by a guy not being a particularly good 3Pt shooter, but he takes a lot of them, dragging the overall shooting percentage down, because frankly I just don't see how a guy that big, and being a mismatch size wise against most opponents, is not putting up a good 2Pt percentage.
So is he taking a bunch of ill advised 3s.

Of course none of this has much context. How good is his supporting cast? Is he forced to shoot more than even he would like? What sort of opposing teams is he facing?
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
coolnate202
Can barely lace up my sneakers

coolnate202 has an OK reputation so far

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is either the dumbest or smartest decesion ive seen.

Either he has ultimate confidence in his game

or

he has lack of confidence in his upside, skill, caliber.
coolnate202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Goliath Uterus
average size weiner

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnate202
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is either the dumbest or smartest decesion ive seen.

Either he has ultimate confidence in his game

or

he has lack of confidence in his upside, skill, caliber.

or he wants to play for an ex NBA coach and be the centerpiece in a rising program. makes perfect sense.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Bless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBless Mathews has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus

or he wants to play for an ex NBA coach and be the centerpiece in a rising program. makes perfect sense.
Word.

He's one and done for sure...Larry brown knows this and sold him on showing him things to be a PRO player....Smh

And I'm sure some sort of kick down for his family
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

if they can get another major recruit then they might take over the Dallas-Fort Worth pipeline. Considering the talent that has been gushing out of that area, I'm sure that's why Larry Brown made Mudiay his top priority.

Also going after Myles Turner (5 star big man) who's from a suburb of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. If they can get him, I won't shy away from saying SMU is on its way to being back on track. Larry Brown knows what he is doing apparently.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
I don't know what you saw. Everything I've seen shows me he will be great. Great handles. Great court awareness good passes

Even got post up game. No match for smaller pgs.

Sure in an organized "street ball" game where he caught fire in the second half. Unless you are also talking about the EYBL, which I didn't see a ton of posting up from him. Although when I was there, I only caught glimpses of his games. Was paying more attentions the UNC recruits and targets.

@Thorpesaurous
When I did watch him, he actually had trouble finishing around the rim. I heard that's not a problem of his so it was probably an unlucky viewing. He doesn't operation much in that 10-15 foot area (like most high schoolers) and a lot of his missed shots were forced (also like most high school players). Perhaps a product of an untalented team? As for the 3pt percentage, I just don't think he's a shooter. It looks like he has some mechanical issues, but nothing that can't be fixed in college and the NBA. He has a good handle, just doesn't make the greatest decisions. Which makes the Larry Brown decision a smart one because if Larry Brown is still Larry Brown, he will tear Mudiay apart mentally and build him back in the one year. I actually think it would be in Mudiay's best interest to stay 2-3 years, but we all know that won't happen.

However, he's very talented and like I said, it wouldn't shock me if he ends up the best pro PG from this class. Which is high praise because Tyus Jones is one of the most polished offensive PGs I have ever seen at the high school level. Most of Mudiay's problems are problems most high school players have.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
if they can get another major recruit then they might take over the Dallas-Fort Worth pipeline. Considering the talent that has been gushing out of that area, I'm sure that's why Larry Brown made Mudiay his top priority.

Also going after Myles Turner (5 star big man) who's from a suburb of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. If they can get him, I won't shy away from saying SMU is on its way to being back on track. Larry Brown knows what he is doing apparently.
But how long will he stay there? He may end up bolting before anything meaningful can be built.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: