Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League CHECK IN...

So since my original request was kind of ignored:

For the 2013/14 Raps Forum Keeper league we will only be selecting 3 keepers. Any other rule changes, speak now or forever hold your peace.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #47
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Welcome aboard. Enjoy the drama and madness that Raps Forum Keeper League always is.

Thanks

I'm sure it will be fun, and this is the first time i've done a keeper league so that should make it a little bit more interesting.
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #48
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcogswell
Thanks

I'm sure it will be fun, and this is the first time i've done a keeper league so that should make it a little bit more interesting.
Just remember my words of wisdom... In a non-keeper league winning is about playing your best players and making a few good trades.

In a keeper league the differences are, at least in this one:
1. Not everyone plays to win. By mid-season multiple people have thrown in the towel and either make lopsided "next year" trades, or simply sit on their team and don't play their players. There is no consequence for this so expect it to happen again.

2. In THIS keeper league the best salesman always wins. RF and FC are two of the best i've seen at spinning a deal where while you're making it you're saying "yeah that's true, I see his point." and then afterwards your like "****, why did I just do that.

3. Keepers MATTER. Don't make any short-sighted moves if you are planning to win for multiple seasons. The keeper value is VERY important to both the trader and the tradee.

4. Sometimes some of the best trades are made on a gamble, no explanation necessary.

That's all I can think of for now, but when some more gems pop into this genius brain of mine i'll write some more. Good luck bro!
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #49
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
2. In THIS keeper league the best salesman always wins. RF and FC are two of the best i've seen at spinning a deal where while you're making it you're saying "yeah that's true, I see his point." and then afterwards your like "****, why did I just do that. :
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #50
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Bcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBcogswell is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Just remember my words of wisdom... In a non-keeper league winning is about playing your best players and making a few good trades.

In a keeper league the differences are, at least in this one:
1. Not everyone plays to win. By mid-season multiple people have thrown in the towel and either make lopsided "next year" trades, or simply sit on their team and don't play their players. There is no consequence for this so expect it to happen again.

2. In THIS keeper league the best salesman always wins. RF and FC are two of the best i've seen at spinning a deal where while you're making it you're saying "yeah that's true, I see his point." and then afterwards your like "****, why did I just do that.

3. Keepers MATTER. Don't make any short-sighted moves if you are planning to win for multiple seasons. The keeper value is VERY important to both the trader and the tradee.

4. Sometimes some of the best trades are made on a gamble, no explanation necessary.

That's all I can think of for now, but when some more gems pop into this genius brain of mine i'll write some more. Good luck bro!

Thanks LB, I'll keep these in mind.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #51
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I'm going to need some help with my keeper rounds, RF, due to equal parts forgetfulness and stupidity.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #52
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I'm going to need some help with my keeper rounds, RF, due to equal parts forgetfulness and stupidity.

Go to your team...and click on your yahoo user name, in your case 'shaun'
...your fantasy history should come up...click on last years league ...then go to 'draft central'
Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #53
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

OK cogswell your invite has been sent. Your team name may be T-Low but I think you can change it.

Some reminders, ONLY the players listed have the 50% rule apply to them. You can't KEEP a 1st rounder more then 2 times....I don't know if that apply's to anyone. It may and I'll look back at years past.

Draft history is on last years pool which you can access through your user profile. Go to the managers list and click on your yahoo ID and you'll find it there.

Cogswell, I'll send you your team list and round values.

As for the keeper function, I THINK that only works for leagues that have online drafts and the keepers are just taken out of the draft pool. Our league it doesn't work, so you still need to PM me your keepers and I'll slot them accordingly. There was some concern (FC) that I was getting an unfair advantage knowing people's keepers, so I'll send my keepers to a GM or 2 in advance. I know 2 of my keepers but am unsure of the other one yet, but it has no impact on any other team.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #54
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Rule changes:

Official - 3 keepers THIS year

To be Discussed:

1. Undrafted round value of 11 is too low.

Please remember, the 11th round was just picked out of thing air. No reason behind it so in my opinion, people shouldn't be married to that. Year after year it has proven to be too low. In most cases, it's not skill that leads to the wire pickup of the year so I don't think we can play the "reward my effort/skill" card. It's normally who ever just happens to check a big box score and is online. Still can be rewarded, but I think something like 8th round is more appropriate.

2. League participation in jeopardy

Like Beast said, we need to have some sort of consequences for inactivity. My suggestion is that the bottom 3 teams in the league are on the chopping block. If you're active, then you can be dead last by a mile but you're still in. It's only if your team sucks and you bail. If you go AWOL for a month, log back in and make a bonehead deal that impacts the league outcome and then got AWOL again, then you could be chopped. If you don't set your lineup....the usual stuff.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Ok I'm signed up, now just to figure out what I'm doing.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #56
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Ok, sent in my keepers.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #57
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Rule changes:

Official - 3 keepers THIS year

Pay attention everyone, this is important and relevant to all of us in the league.

Quote:
To be Discussed:

1. Undrafted round value of 11 is too low.
Quote:
Please remember, the 11th round was just picked out of thing air. No reason behind it so in my opinion, people shouldn't be married to that. Year after year it has proven to be too low. In most cases, it's not skill that leads to the wire pickup of the year so I don't think we can play the "reward my effort/skill" card. It's normally who ever just happens to check a big box score and is online. Still can be rewarded, but I think something like 8th round is more appropriate.
I'm fine with the 11th round thing. It usually ends up working out that someone who is not doing too well in the standings ends up with that undrafted player, which gives more incentive for the player to stay active.
Quote:
2. League participation in jeopardy

Like Beast said, we need to have some sort of consequences for inactivity. My suggestion is that the bottom 3 teams in the league are on the chopping block. If you're active, then you can be dead last by a mile but you're still in. It's only if your team sucks and you bail. If you go AWOL for a month, log back in and make a bonehead deal that impacts the league outcome and then got AWOL again, then you could be chopped. If you don't set your lineup....the usual stuff.
This one I know is a hot topic, because some people expressed concern that a hotseat isn't fair if they play and participate and their team sucks or gets ravaged by injuries. Then it could lead to more debates over who should get replaced and who shouldn't. A suggestion I have of a more arbitrary way to do it is this:

In my good old elementary school, one of my teachers had a rule that if you hand in homework that is less than 80% completed, it won't be graded at all. So how about we do something like each GM must play at least 80% of their games to be eligible for the following season? Or in order to avoid the hotseat.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #58
RapsFan
Great college starter

^^^^

Issue I see with the 80% is the injury factor. Some teams get smoked but still may want to hang onto a guy for keeper options. But if it's a boarderline player, yes in general you should drop them and move on to keep up the games. We see every year, the top 5 teams usually have at minimum played their games.

In terms of the chopping block, to make it clear, you could be last by a mile, but you will NOT be in jeopardy if you're active. Post in the forum, respond to trades with comments, set your lineup to max games....general good GM type of stuff. If you do that, you're in. If you don't do that and your team sucks, you're out. This is an activity rule, not a performance rule.

I think last year Chamberlain was hit hard with injuries so his games played was low...under 80% probably. You can be an active, solid GM in the league and not hit a % of games easily.

More devils advocate I guess for the 11th round thing....I don't think standings has anything to do with it. I have gotten to keep guys in the 11th round basically every year from this rule. Perhaps you mean the low standings guy get that player via a trade for a better keeper. In theory you may be right but I've done well and kept those guys also.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #59
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
This is not true. RF and me are very different type of managers. He is a salesman and your quote applies to him. My strong point is picking players from waivers.

Well I am warming up... I've been playing chess this summer and I am dull right now... I promise some real drame soon lol
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #60
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
In terms of the chopping block, to make it clear, you could be last by a
More devils advocate I guess for the 11th round thing....I don't think standings has anything to do with it. I have gotten to keep guys in the 11th round basically every year from this rule. Perhaps you mean the low standings guy get that player via a trade for a better keeper. In theory you may be right but I've done well and kept those guys also.

I like 11th round. Undrafted players should go lower than drafted players. I mean, a player drafted in 13th round, waived and picked up by another team is still 13th round, but an undrafted player goes in round 8? It doesn't make sense.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: