Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #61
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Re: Raps Forum Keeper League CHECK IN...

Thanks for the help, Zan. I forget how to check my list every year. I'm ashamed.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #62
bokes15
Playoffs!

RF, i see your point and all, but I can already foresee the arguments of someone getting kicked out of the league for participation.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #63
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

I wasn't sure if this was discussed but I hope this season we can use last year's standings to plot the drafting positions. The worst team the year before should get the 1st overall pick (Unless their keeper is in the 1st round). That's how it is in every other keeper league and you will make the argument that it will cause teams to "tank" but it's only logical. If FC and RF were 1-2 last season and likely have the best keepers from their winning teams, and gain a top 1 or 2 pick, it stacks the deck in their favor once again.

Maybe we can put it to a vote? I think it will make the league more competitive long-term.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #64
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I wasn't sure if this was discussed but I hope this season we can use last year's standings to plot the drafting positions. The worst team the year before should get the 1st overall pick (Unless their keeper is in the 1st round). That's how it is in every other keeper league and you will make the argument that it will cause teams to "tank" but it's only logical. If FC and RF were 1-2 last season and likely have the best keepers from their winning teams, and gain a top 1 or 2 pick, it stacks the deck in their favor once again.

Maybe we can put it to a vote? I think it will make the league more competitive long-term.

I agree that it does makes sense but as this is my first keeper league I don't know what the likelihood of someone tanking is (especially since they are talking about kicking inactive teams).
Bcogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #65
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni

We discussed this last year. The problem is, you get guys like T-low for example (no offense T) that just aren't active and don't set their lineup. And for that he should be rewarded the first pick?..

In a perfect world it works (if all teams were going full throttle right to the end, then yeah) but in this case I don't think it does.

Random draft order gets my vote.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #66
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I agree with Toni. I've always felt it should be done that way, but there is the obvious problem with bottom dwellers just becoming inactive.

With that said, though, we've always had the same core of managers (probably 10 of us) from the very start. The people who become inactive always come back the next year anyway. Giving them the higher picks would add parity to the league and perhaps keep their interest level up.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #67
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
RF, i see your point and all, but I can already foresee the arguments of someone getting kicked out of the league for participation.

I see both your points. The problem is it's not as simple as 'so and so player didn't play 80% of his games so he should be axed'. There is a certain amount of discretion that has to be used.

But I agree, anyone with 80% or lower should be looked at, but that doesn't mean he's an automatic cut.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #68
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
And for that he should be rewarded the first pick?..

No, I should be!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #69
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcogswell
No, I should be!
I see your motive ;)

There is also the matter of keepers when it comes to draft order. If a guy is tanking and is last place and has.... let say LeBron James. He can not keep Bron and draft him the next season...With a Random draft you don't know where you are going to draft so it forces managers to choose wisely when it comes to their keepers...
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #70
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Just institute a rule where if you don't keep your first rounder, you can't pick him in the first round. Or something to that effect.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #71
Bcogswell
Raptors > You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
I see your motive ;)

There is also the matter of keepers when it comes to draft order. If a guy is tanking and is last place and has.... let say LeBron James. He can not keep Bron and draft him the next season...With a Random draft you don't know where you are going to draft so it forces managers to choose wisely when it comes to their keepers...

I don't know what your talking about man, i've got no motive for the draft to be based on the previous years standings.

No matter if its random or pre determined, there is always going to be some negatives for that system.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #72
bokes15
Playoffs!

The issue was not about it causing a lack of competitiveness, it was about the fact that the top players (Bron, KD, Chris Paul, etc...) are more often than not kept from the previous season so the draft order matters less being that it's a keeper league. The only actual discrepency I remember was someone (probably Brwnman) saying that we should scrap keepers in the first round or 2 to keep them from getting recycled around.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #73
RapsFan
Great college starter

We have this talk every year. Keeper leagues will mostly use last place gets first pick....BUT that is leagues that take the keepers right out of the mix and have a normal redraft of remaining players. Our league doens't work that way obviously. The top teams is MANY cases have top players right.....so with what everyone is saying, FC will get Kevin Durant at the end of the first round and then with the 2nd pick in the second round. Huge advantage. As it's said every year, with OUR format, it just has to be random. Does that make sense?

Also, as Zan said, knowing the order in advance can basically give some teams 5 keepers.

As for the 11th round thing, I don't know why people are married to that but overall I don't care too much about it. I get both sides to that argument.

Finally for the particpation, you can see on the pool site when the last time a manager was on the site and did anything. So it will be very easy to tell participation. Are you guys aware what I am talking about? So if you're in the bottom 3, and haven't done a thing to your roster in a month etc, then you're done. I don't see any arguments, especially now if the rule is set in place going into the season. Even setting your lineup will 'log' you as making a move.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #74
RapsFan
Great college starter

FYI - I have sent my keepers to Zan. Please send along your keepers as you see fit.

I have the keeper deadline as the 11th, we could start the draft that day if people like. Or we could wait until the 14th or something. We need 2 weeks for the draft. Normally we'd have started by now, but seeng some preseason makes some sense.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #75
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I'm able to start drafting whenever. You got my keeper picks right, RF?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: