Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people
Default Lakers Sign Shawne Williams

27 years old, somewhat athletic 6'9 SF/PF, once got in the face of Metta World Peace. Heard the guy can shoot lights out from 3pt in D'Antoni's system and he actually can play a lick of defense at the same time.

What do you guys think?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...#axzz2dtjBs7EQ
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lakers Sign Shawne Williams

Williams, a six-year NBA veteran out of Memphis, was originally selected by the Indiana Pacers in the first round (17th overall) of the 2006 NBA Draft and has appeared in 215 career games (23 starts) for the Pacers, Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets. The 6-9 forward holds career averages of 5.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=14180#ixzz2duHkkfkE
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

I have 3 thoughts on this;

1. Why would we allow ourselves to stay over the cap this year, we're not going to win anything so this is the time to get under. (This deal has no effect either way)

2. Wow, am I looking forward to next year's free agency for hope.

3. I hope Kobe goes crazy putting up points this season....why not?
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I have 3 thoughts on this;

1. Why would we allow ourselves to stay over the cap this year, we're not going to win anything so this is the time to get under. (This deal has no effect either way)

2. Wow, am I looking forward to next year's free agency for hope.

3. I hope Kobe goes crazy putting up points this season....why not?

Don't worry about minimum one year deals. Doesn't really damage the luxury tax too much.

What I think the lakers are doing is having sort of a "try-outs". They'll be able to afford 1 or two superstars next year. At the same time they're looking for some role players that they can keep cemented on to the team. What a better way than to have a bunch of scrubs sign cheap one year deals?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Don't worry about minimum one year deals. Doesn't really damage the luxury tax too much.

What I think the lakers are doing is having sort of a "try-outs". They'll be able to afford 1 or two superstars next year. At the same time they're looking for some role players that they can keep cemented on to the team. What a better way than to have a bunch of scrubs sign cheap one year deals?

My main point is that since we all know we will be over the cap next year....and following years, we should do whatever it takes to get under the cap this year.
The penalties go up based on how many consecutive years you have been over the cap.....this is the right time to get a re-set. I would try to move Blake, Nash......and I don't understand $3 million to Kaman.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The only players that should be left on this roster next year is the starting five, Nick Young & Farmar.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

L.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
My main point is that since we all know we will be over the cap next year....and following years, we should do whatever it takes to get under the cap this year.
The penalties go up based on how many consecutive years you have been over the cap.....this is the right time to get a re-set. I would try to move Blake, Nash......and I don't understand $3 million to Kaman.

The one thing i dont care about is the money of the Buss family. i never think about the cap and so, as long as being over the cap will not hinder the Lakers to an extreme extend. if the Buss family wants to pay some old dudes millions of dollars they can do so.
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:

chillax...the trade deadline is in Mid Feb...

they are doing the right thing....if 1 of these guys pan out they can trade blake+Jhill to bring us below the tax level....& get a 1st rounder out of it

these are camp invites...nothing more...nothing less...I hate when people overreact for 14-15-16 spots on the squad
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
chillax...the trade deadline is in Mid Feb...

they are doing the right thing....if 1 of these guys pan out they can trade blake+Jhill to bring us below the tax level....& get a 1st rounder out of it

these are camp invites...nothing more...nothing less...I hate when people overreact for 14-15-16 spots on the squad

There is a point there, but also a question that I don't know the answer to;

At what point are you considered "Over the Cap" for a season? Is it at the midway point, at the trade deadline or the end of the season?

If it is the trade deadline then I would completely agree with you.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
There is a point there, but also a question that I don't know the answer to;

At what point are you considered "Over the Cap" for a season? Is it at the midway point, at the trade deadline or the end of the season?

If it is the trade deadline then I would completely agree with you.

The bill comes in july/aug if i am correct

The lakers paid 29mil just few weeks back

So
Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

We needed to sign players. We were running out of guys, and we needed to add some young talent. We already talk about having a team of old guys and how they need some reliable youth to come in there and do some damage. How do we do that? Trading Pau was an option. But Kobe still wants to win a championship, which won't happen if we trade Pau for a bunch of young guys, even if we did sign a superstar next year, we still need Pau.

The 3 million to Kaman may have been a bit of an overreaction, seeing that Pau is more than qualified to be a starting center on our team. But we just lost Dwight, who else could we have gotten? Noone.

A low risk one year deal for each and every one of the newly adds to the team.

Besides, Dwight's walking was already a major relief penalty wise.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
We needed to sign players. We were running out of guys, and we needed to add some young talent. We already talk about having a team of old guys and how they need some reliable youth to come in there and do some damage. How do we do that? Trading Pau was an option. But Kobe still wants to win a championship, which won't happen if we trade Pau for a bunch of young guys, even if we did sign a superstar next year, we still need Pau.

The 3 million to Kaman may have been a bit of an overreaction
, seeing that Pau is more than qualified to be a starting center on our team. But we just lost Dwight, who else could we have gotten? Noone.

A low risk one year deal for each and every one of the newly adds to the team.

Besides, Dwight's walking was already a major relief penalty wise.

it was....Even if pau plays @Center you need him for the long haul....Kaman is going to back Pau and play good mins...

Pau is not young where he can log 38 mins....

all these old guys nash/kobe/pau need solid backups and need to go 3 deep to save them of any injuries...

i thought a coach at any level would understand that
Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
it was....Even if pau plays @Center you need him for the long haul....Kaman is going to back Pau and play good mins...

Pau is not young where he can log 38 mins....

all these old guys nash/kobe/pau need solid backups and need to go 3 deep to save them of any injuries...

i thought a coach at any level would understand that

Can't resist hurling insults can you? Completely immature and unnecessary.

I don't think anyone understood nor answered a single one of my questions.

I do not believe for one minute that there was a market for Kaman at $3 million......I believe we panicked and paid him more than double his current value. Look at what we got a young scorer Nick Young for......that was a steal!!!!
Obviously I wasn't saying that we didn't need a backup center, that wouldn't be the least bit intelligent.

I think someone mixed up my main point which was the salary cap issues, things that GTS and So Cal Mike understood best, even better than I do......now there seems to be a great lack of understanding of this issue.

This was copied and pasted from the linked article below;

• 2011 CBA: Teams pay $1 for every $1 their salary is above the luxury-tax threshold in 2011-12 and 2012-13. Starting in 2012-13, teams pay an incremental tax that increases with every $5 million above the tax threshold ($1.50, $1.75, $2.50, $3.25, etc.). Teams that are repeat offenders (paying tax at least four out of the past five seasons) have a tax that is higher still -- $1 more at each increment ($2.50, $2.75, $3.50, $4.25, etc.).

• Who benefits? I'll tell you which teams don't benefit -- the perennial taxpayers, like the Lakers and Mavericks. When the league was unable to negotiate a hard cap, they settled for the next best thing -- a more punitive luxury tax that will make teams think twice before committing to a higher payroll. For example, the Lakers' tax bill in 2011 (when the tax was dollar-for-dollar) was about $19.9 million. Under the new system, being that far over the tax line would cost them $44.68 million. If they were a repeat offender (paying tax at least four of the previous five years) they would owe $64.58 million!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...pares-last-one

That being said, my point of WHEN are you considered to be liable for over the cap fees (Nothing to do with the collection date!!!!)
Is it at the start of the season, after the trade deadline or at the end of the season.

In other words to make it SIMPLE, if you start the season over the cap but get under the cap before the trade deadline will you have to pay any fees?

To answer an earlier post, "I" do not care about the Buss money either.....but it makes a difference to them if being a repeat over the cap offender will cost them an extra 30 million instead of an extra 10 million.......there is a logical cut off point for how much you are willing to spend so what we do this year in relation to the cap could have a HUGE impact on what we do in the future.

Of course being a veteran coach I understand this
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: