Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

Levity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation here
Default Does the CP3/Griffin duo have potential to be better than GP/ Kemp tandem?

Do you think the 1-2 punch of Chris Paul and Blake Griffin have the potential to be better than Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp when they were on the sonics?

After BG's rookie year, there was soooo much talk(most notably from one defunct poster) about how Griffin could go down as one of the GOATs. His second season continued to keep that train of thought alive, but a lot of naysayers emerged due to griffins lack of a complete game at that time.

On his 3rd season, Chris Paul had been traded to the clipps, and everyone assumed the chemistry between him and griffin would be outstanding. truthfully, it was kind of lack luster, but has been improving with every game

fastforward to the present, the clippers have a new coach, new supporting cast, and a hopefully improving 1-2 punch in paul and griffin. So with all signs pointing in the right direction, do you see paul and griffin ever being better than payton and kemp? Or do you believe they are on par or better than them already?
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people
Default Re: Does the CP3/Griffin duo have potential to be better than GP/ Kemp tandem?

Have to wait and see. It depends how they utilize Griffin. His strength is inside. One of most productive players in the paint and the offense can run through him very good. Utilize his strengths. Chemistry wise they are not the best fit, but they can make it happen. Just got to wait and see.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Does the CP3/Griffin duo have potential to be better than GP/ Kemp tandem?

I'm really baffled why these two haven't put it together. BG's got a jumpshot, nice footwork, and can easily jump over defenses. But Chris Paul seems to be more content pounding the ball over and over.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
I'm really baffled why these two haven't put it together. BG's got a jumpshot, nice footwork, and can easily jump over defenses. But Chris Paul seems to be more content pounding the ball over and over.
Huh were we watching the same Clippers? CP pounds the ball strategically when it comes time to manage clock at end of games or to slow down slides, otherwise he's not "pounding the ball over and over" he's setting up plays and shouting at teammates so they can get the best out of the possession. Griffin pounding the ball has been a problem though he needs to get going faster whether passing or attacking the rim or just shooting. He's great in fullcourt but he stagnates the offense sometimes in the halfcourt. When he's backing the defender down from 15 feet out everyone knows it's not where he's comfortable making his moves and will end up passing it out, but he still spends a few seconds practicing his dribble, which just wastes time or ends up in a turnover. He has a jump shot but it's not been consistent at all, if he could make all his open looks he would get so many better opportunities. He is very good though close to the basket or facing up and driving quickly off the catch. It is just maddening though to watch him working back to the basket in the high post. I think he's a smart guy though so maybe with new coaching he will thrive.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

^^^^^^^^^^^
My bad. It's too harsh in saying CP3's just "pounding" but I guess I wanted a little more leadership from him.

Being the team's best player AND point guard, he has the responsibility to make sure his team fares well. I still feel he underutilizes Blake in stretches.

If Blake's not comfortable posting up 15 feet away, then Chris shouldn't be passing the ball to him 15 feet away. However that doesn't mean he needs to ignore him completely.

It's just weird how CP3 can make magic out of Tyson Chandler and David West and not be as successful with Blake.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Young X
College star

Young X is considered somewhat coolYoung X is considered somewhat coolYoung X is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
It's just weird how CP3 can make magic out of Tyson Chandler and David West and not be as successful with Blake.
That's because Blake isn't a good PNR player. He doesn't set good screens, his jumper is inconsisent, and he's super passive. Bad combination. Every time he gets the ball off the PNR he looks to pass before shoot, I wish he was more aggressive.
Young X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Haymaker
College star

Haymaker has decent reputationHaymaker has decent reputation

Quote:

Not really, since both West and Chandler are better system players than Blake.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
SamuraiSWISH
Samurai Swoosh

SamuraiSWISH is popular on this boardSamuraiSWISH is popular on this boardSamuraiSWISH is popular on this boardSamuraiSWISH is popular on this board

I watched the games, don't stat watch. Kemp is much better than Blake.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
#number6ix#
WE INHERE LIKE ROGAINE

#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster

They're too soft
#number6ix# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

ralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Blake hasn't learned the PnR game like those two. Once he does he'll be deadly, especially because he's a great passer who can kick it out if the D collapses on his roll to the rim.

BG probably has the best face up game in the league right now and it only gets better as his jumper continues to improve.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
AboutBuckets
Championship is coming

AboutBuckets has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
BG probably has the best face up game in the league right now and it only gets better as his jumper continues to improve.

Every Knick fan (which doesn't even include me) who reads this post will shake their head in disappointment.
AboutBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

No they won't be as successful due to the difference in defensive ability.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
To4
Good High School Starter

To4 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

hell... ill take kemp over blake.. BG doesn't even know how to PnR well.
jumpshot = horrendous.. Flopping = Master
To4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
coin24
NBA sixth man of the year

coin24 has a near all-star reputation herecoin24 has a near all-star reputation herecoin24 has a near all-star reputation herecoin24 has a near all-star reputation herecoin24 has a near all-star reputation herecoin24 has a near all-star reputation here

Payton and kemp>>>>>>> cp3 and griffin (team flop)

Doubtful many of you even watched Payton and kemp play together.
How many more failure seasons and excuses till people finally realise CP3 is overrated as fu*k
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

not sure if OP watches basketball
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: