Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Prisoners (Movie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Shut your ignorant ass up

Nobody wants to see their grandfathers break out of prison.

I do. Granddad is innocent
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This was my take from the Rate The Last Movie thread. I didn't have nearly the issue with the ending some did, as mentioned here. I agree with Don Dadda about wishing Gylenhaal's Loki was blown out. But I did have a few plot inconsistency issues. I didn't have a ton of problems with the religious angle, because to me it wasn't all that pervasive.

I went with a buddy to see Prisoner last night. It's the first thing I've seen at the theatre since I hurt my leg, and I love the movies. Frankly it wasn't as highly regarded as the movies I usually see. It's at like 78 on RT. But he and I both are into true crime, so it's in our wheelhouse.*First, the Saturday Night movie experience isn't really my thing. I'm more of a matinee guy. It was packed. And in certain cases, like comedy, or in a suspense like this, I find the ambient buzz of a crowd to be a benefit. However I got stuck in front of two horrible people who spent the movie reassuring each other what they'd figured out.Anyway. I found it pretty enjoyable. Paul Dano was great as the creepy weirdo. And there is a second creepy weirdo who's also great. Wolverine is superbly intense. And a crushed Maria Bello I felt was underplayed in what I read after the fact. Gyllenhaal I'm up in the air about. They intentionally leave a lot of background about him out, which I wasn't crazy about, yet he totally owns a few scenes. His character is a little like his Zodiac Robert Graysmith in the way he unravels with obsession, but much more intense.*Stylistically I thought it was excellent. Gray and dreary late fall Pennsylvania. Some really nicely syllouetted shots. It has an eerie tone, and is quite scary, even though it's not scary, if that makes sense.*There were a few logistical issues I had. I won't get into them, so as not to spoil the plot, but they took me out of a spot or two. Generally, it's a well written plot with a couple nice twists.*The director does make one styllistic choice a few times, once being right at the end, that the audience I was in did not like. But I was fine with it. I noticed it early on, thought it was interesting, and while it's not how I'dve ended, I was cool with it. Again I won't get into it for spoiler reasons. But if anyone else sees it, I'm open to discussion.*I'd give it a mid 80s. Could've been really good if they tightened up a couple plot flaws and blew out Gylenhaal's detective Loki. But it was already 2+ hours.*Definitely worth checking out, particularly for a soft late summer.****
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This was my take from the Rate The Last Movie thread. I didn't have nearly the issue with the ending some did, as mentioned here. I agree with Don Dadda about wishing Gylenhaal's Loki was blown out. But I did have a few plot inconsistency issues. I didn't have a ton of problems with the religious angle, because to me it wasn't all that pervasive.

I went with a buddy to see Prisoner last night. It's the first thing I've seen at the theatre since I hurt my leg, and I love the movies. Frankly it wasn't as highly regarded as the movies I usually see. It's at like 78 on RT. But he and I both are into true crime, so it's in our wheelhouse.*First, the Saturday Night movie experience isn't really my thing. I'm more of a matinee guy. It was packed. And in certain cases, like comedy, or in a suspense like this, I find the ambient buzz of a crowd to be a benefit. However I got stuck in front of two horrible people who spent the movie reassuring each other what they'd figured out.Anyway. I found it pretty enjoyable. Paul Dano was great as the creepy weirdo. And there is a second creepy weirdo who's also great. Wolverine is superbly intense. And a crushed Maria Bello I felt was underplayed in what I read after the fact. Gyllenhaal I'm up in the air about. They intentionally leave a lot of background about him out, which I wasn't crazy about, yet he totally owns a few scenes. His character is a little like his Zodiac Robert Graysmith in the way he unravels with obsession, but much more intense.*Stylistically I thought it was excellent. Gray and dreary late fall Pennsylvania. Some really nicely syllouetted shots. It has an eerie tone, and is quite scary, even though it's not scary, if that makes sense.*There were a few logistical issues I had. I won't get into them, so as not to spoil the plot, but they took me out of a spot or two. Generally, it's a well written plot with a couple nice twists.*The director does make one styllistic choice a few times, once being right at the end, that the audience I was in did not like. But I was fine with it. I noticed it early on, thought it was interesting, and while it's not how I'dve ended, I was cool with it. Again I won't get into it for spoiler reasons. But if anyone else sees it, I'm open to discussion.*I'd give it a mid 80s. Could've been really good if they tightened up a couple plot flaws and blew out Gylenhaal's detective Loki. But it was already 2+ hours.*Definitely worth checking out, particularly for a soft late summer.****
Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

Go into more detail, man. I want to know what plot holes you picked up on because I noticed a few, too. I also would like to know what styllistic choices you're referring to.

Just put "SPOILERS" in bold, giant letters at the top of your post so if someone who hasn't seen the movie ends up reading your post, they were already forewarned.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
Go into more detail, man. I want to know what plot holes you picked up on because I noticed a few, too. I also would like to know what styllistic choices you're referring to.

Just put "SPOILERS" in bold, giant letters at the top of your post so if someone who hasn't seen the movie ends up reading your post, they were already forewarned.

My biggest plot issue was the fact that they weren't right on top of the Paul Dano character on his dissappearance. The I know they addressed not having the budget to watch him. But he was attacked by Keller alrwady, then he goes miss8ng, and it's like a full 2 days before anyone knows? They don't question why the aunt didn't report his disappearance sooner? Then the suicide thing would've shut down that investigation. Also, that house w9ulda been turned inside out way fast, frozen ground or not. The whole thing played like Loki was the only investigator in the world. The first one was the big one.

The style thing refers to the cutaway at the end, which I didn't mind. And I say it was a stylistic decision because he did it more than once. Most notably when Dano is found. They cut away and choose not to show us. They also chose not to show the follow up to them gett8ng in the hospital. It was like the were keeping the ugly details out of it, to f9cus entirely on this isolated part of this story. So to me Jackman was found. Just like Dano was. We didn't need to see it. It ended exactly h9w Gylenhaal told Maria Bello it would.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Was lovely how they spaced out the leads.

And did the tension-release loops.

Man I thought the movie would end into debacuhery until Dano said his infamous lines while the press surrounded him and Wolverine slammed him.

... then I thought it would end and the daughters would shwo up dead

... and bam the campfire scene

.... then I thought it would end and he'd be caught..

and bam something else

... then i thought the container=like objects in the apartment of the 2nd chap would hold the daughters

.... and bloody hell was the heart pumping when the real mastermind was exposed.

JUST SO WELL SPACED OUT! :)

Lol.

Lovely. Will recommend it to everyone. Fukked with my brain tho. And not even Cannibal Holocaust, Caligula, Audience, Creep could do that.

If you guys have the time give me a description of what you think happened after the whistles were heard. Need some imagination stimulation today.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: