Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Budadiiii
Live Strong.

Default Re: Do those "all natural" folk really bug you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I wouldn't say the supplement indistry is a sham. It's only a sham to the people who look to it for 100% of results.

The most purchased product in our industry is protein powder. Whey protein is no different than any form of meat/vegetable protein when it broken down into it's components. Therefor it's food. Is food a sham?

I think the people who are uneducated in supplements usually resort to calling it a sham
Commercial Whey Protein is a sham. You're pretty uneducated yourself.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

BTW since you're the supplement expert, what is your thoughts about Pea Protein:

http://www.nowfoods.com/Pea-Protein-2-lbs.htm

I usually just mix it in my smoothies after a work out.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
I wouldn't say the supplement indistry is a sham. It's only a sham to the people who look to it for 100% of results.

The most purchased product in our industry is protein powder. Whey protein is no different than any form of meat/vegetable protein when it broken down into it's components. Therefor it's food. Is food a sham?

I think the people who are uneducated in supplements usually resort to calling it a sham

This is what I always try to explain to people. I was drinking a protein shake at work a while back and a girl comes in and goes "you know those things don't even work. My brother drank them for 3 months and it didn't do anything". The shit works if you know what it's supposed to do. Its like if someone tried to use a flashlight to light a BBQ grill and said "this thing doesn't work".

And as far as the natural stuff goes, I don't think there's a more overplayed word in the food industry than "organic". You wanna talk about scams, paying twice as much for an organic version of a food is a full-on scam
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Budadiiii
Live Strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
The whole eat natural thing is a sham.

But are you not in the supplement industry? Which is an even bigger sham?
How is eating natural a sham? Please elaborate. Eating organic whole foods = sham?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
My wife is obsessed with buying our baby nothing but organic, sh!t is putting me in the poorhouse.

So I guess your baby will grow up accepting (wait for it)

Only the finest?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
Budadiiii
Live Strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
This is what I always try to explain to people. I was drinking a protein shake at work a while back and a girl comes in and goes "you know those things don't even work. My brother drank them for 3 months and it didn't do anything". The shit works if you know what it's supposed to do. Its like if someone tried to use a flashlight to light a BBQ grill and said "this thing doesn't work".

And as far as the natural stuff goes, I don't think there's a more overplayed word in the food industry than "organic". You wanna talk about scams, paying twice as much for an organic version of a food is a full-on scam
You really think drinking pasteurized dairy does you any good? Of course you do. Completely oblivious to how harmful it really is. You're just talking out of your ass when it comes to this sort of stuff, you really have no idea.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
BTW since you're the supplement expert, what is your thoughts about Pea Protein:

http://www.nowfoods.com/Pea-Protein-2-lbs.htm

I usually just mix it in my smoothies after a work out.

I'm actually curious about pea protein too. I was talking get to someone and they were saying they started using that instead of soy (vegetarian) and they were raving about all the benefits.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
I'm actually curious about pea protein too. I was talking get to someone and they were saying they started using that instead of soy (vegetarian) and they were raving about all the benefits.

Well over 90% of soy in the US is genetically modified. There is some controversy with soy causing increasing estrogen levels as well.

Pea protein is nasty tho. Took me awhile to get used to it lol.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Paleo people don't really bug me.

But people who 100% consume organic whole wheat pasta and criticize my white rice consumption piss me off a lot lol.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Commercial Whey Protein is a sham. You're pretty uneducated yourself.
What do you do for a living?
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young

Being organic and healthy has almost become a status symbol of wealth. You have to be able to afford to pay the extra to "save the world".

This is true. My thing with food is threefold:

I want it to taste good.
I don't want it to have harmful ingredients.
I'd like any animals I eat to be humanely raised.

The best way to do that is to try and stay local, if possible. Go to your farmer's market and meet the people who grow the stuff and raise the livestock. I try and do this whenever possible.

The thing is it's not always convenient and it certainly isn't cheap. So when I'm in the supermarket I go for the produce that looks and smells the freshest. Sometimes it's organic, sometimes not. I try to avoid processed crap and I'm very selective when it comes to meat and fish. That being said, it's still hard to know if the origin of the food (free range, line caught, etc.) on the label is accurate.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
In my industry we call them granolas. Those type of people who are always pushing all natural, gluten free, non-GMO.....
I find that most of them are ignorant to the facts. Usually know very little yet it gives them a sense of entitlement. They are constantly looking down at others.

What category do you guys fit in? How do you view these followers?
i don't really have a problem with these people. at least they're on the right track... trying to do the right thing, even if it's sort of a fad / identity thing for them. but as they grow older, they'll probably lose much of the attitude about this stuff and get a better handle on the nutritional science.

at the same time, if you're eating like most people in western civilisation, you're pretty much slowly destroying your health. so it's probably a pretty good idea to whang-dang-doodle them facts.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
So I guess your baby will grow up accepting (wait for it)

Only the finest?

Like father like..........daughter I guess
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Its like if someone tried to use a flashlight to light a BBQ grill and said "this thing doesn't work".

Les Stroud could make it work

As to the OP not an organic foods person or household, we eat healthy but the only things we buy from the natural foods joints are bulk items sometimes, things like steel cut oatmeal because it's actually cheaper than buying the stuff that comes in the can. Whole foods carries some decent coffee you can catch on sale at times. All in all we'll buy things for the house there but not because it's organic, we buy it because it's
A. Cheaper or
B. the only place you can get it.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
kNicKz
College superstar

I know a dude who refuses to eat bread. He's not even an organic eater like that but he goes off on how humans weren't meant to consume bread
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: