Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: South Park season 17, 09/25/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
Like everyone has said, the show just seems to not have the same tone anymore. B-Low put it well in that they do sound "douchey" now, like every episode is about the new popular thing.

What made south park funny is that in the early seasons, they did talk about current issues, but they actually plot of that current episode could still be funny even if you didn't know exactly what they were talking about, that doesn't happen anymore.

And also it was a lot funnier when the boys didn't know what they were talking about of doing, like cartman not knowing what semen was and having to "suck it out of a tube" to give to the seamonkeys. Their ignorance to sex, drugs, etc was what made the show hilarious. Now they just sound like arrogant elitists that look down on everybody. Theres a difference between criticize/satire and being arrogant/douchey, the show leans more to the latter now.

Right. I said that a little while back too. That it was funnier when the boys acted like kids when they were young and naive. The example I gave was the Cartman Joins NAMBLA episode. The whole humor of it was that the guys were obviously pedophiles, but the boys thought they were just meeting mature new friends. If it happened in the later seasons Stan woulda just said "dude they're obviously pedophiles" and the whole episode woulda just been them talking shit about the NAMBLA guys. Same with the when they were trying to find an erection for Kyle's dad, when they were trying to shoot the talking whale into space etc. They just seem like a bunch of hipster assholes now
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Right. I said that a little while back too. That it was funnier when the boys acted like kids when they were young and naive. The example I gave was the Cartman Joins NAMBLA episode. The whole humor of it was that the guys were obviously pedophiles, but the boys thought they were just meeting mature new friends. If it happened in the later seasons Stan woulda just said "dude they're obviously pedophiles" and the whole episode woulda just been them talking shit about the NAMBLA guys. Same with the when they were trying to find an erection for Kyle's dad, when they were trying to shoot the talking whale into space etc. They just seem like a bunch of hipster assholes now
Or when stan was doing the red rocket with his dog. Yea I honestly wouldn't care if the show ended at this point.

Gotta watch some old eps now.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
HarryCallahan
Banned

HarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation here

I don't know why you guys are hating on the "hipster a$holes" (They're hicks from Col. so i'll call them cynical a$sholes). It was a necessary transition once Chef left.
The change of dynamics was the only way forward from a story-telling perspective, and it helped keep the show fresh. Again, i'll point to Assburgers as an episode that shows the cynicism of the character (and by extension the creators), providing for hilarious and intriguing tv.
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #19
christian1923
Y'all ni**** trippin

christian1923 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

They need to find a way to make fun of Hernandez and the Rutgers coach at the same time
christian1923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

Levity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation here

so far, its been more of the same as the last few seasons. the newest one, the minecraft episode, was a bit closer to their older, classic episodes. but the first two fell right into that "pretentious" category theyve been flirting around with the last handful of years.
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levity
so far, its been more of the same as the last few seasons. the newest one, the minecraft episode, was a bit closer to their older, classic episodes. but the first two fell right into that "pretentious" category theyve been flirting around with the last handful of years.

There has only been 2 new episodes.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tomorrow's episode tackles George Zimmerman and the movie World War Z. In it Cartman (Zimmerman) will be trying to kill Token (of course) because he sees him as a threat to all mankind

People aren't gonna be happy about this one
Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #23
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen is considered somewhat coolTheMarkMadsen is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Tomorrow's episode tackles George Zimmerman and the movie World War Z. In it Cartman (Zimmerman) will be trying to kill Token (of course) because he sees him as a threat to all mankind

People aren't gonna be happy about this one

@ the reaction this will cause most people to have.

These guys are crazy smart but the show feels so lazy. The formula now is pick a topic recently in the news, and build a show around it.

We need more episodes like Scott Tenorman must die, Trapper Keeper 4000 (or whatever that episode was called) Fun Time with weapons, Butters very own episode, CartmanLand and so many others are classic episodes that have little to nothing to with any current events or political bullshit.

The episode ( I think the under pants gnome) Cartman gets the idea of having illegals do their homework. So the boys pay them money to write their essays.. And when the boys come back to get their papers the illegals (in this case Mexicans) had all written home to their friends.

It was just a little gag but its that kind of humor southpark is missin these days.

With that said, I still enjoy the new episodes, and there have been a few gems recently ( Cartman killing off his stuffed animals was a great episode) but the new ones lack the creativity of the old

Last edited by TheMarkMadsen : 10-08-2013 at 05:59 PM.
TheMarkMadsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
@ the reaction this will cause most people to have.

These guys are crazy smart but the show feels so lazy. The formula now is pick a topic recently in the news, and build a show around it.

We need more episodes like Scott Tenorman must die, Trapper Keeper 4000 (or whatever that episode was called) Fun Time with weapons, Butters very own episode, CartmanLand and so many others are classic episodes that have little to nothing to with any current events or political bullshit.

The episode ( I think the under pants gnome) Cartman gets the idea of having illegals do their homework. So the boys pay them money to write their essays.. And when the boys come back to get their papers the illegals (in this case Mexicans) had all written home to their friends.

It was just a little gag but its that kind of humor southpark is missin these days.

With that said, I still enjoy the new episodes, and there have been a few gems recently ( Cartman killing off his stuffed animals was a great episode) but the new ones lack the creativity of the old

Like I said i definitely do agree. The episode tomorrow will probably be funny, but for how long? How long down the line before people forget the whole Zimmerman thing (and especially World War Z) and it's not funny anymore? When I go back and watch reruns online, it's almost exclusively seasons 1-8 because everything after that seems dated as hell even though technically they're more current than the original ones, but it's because like you said the old episodes were built around the characters, not current events
Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

Levity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation hereLevity has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
There has only been 2 new episodes.

o wow my bad. for whatever reason when typing that up that post, i thought the first one was 2 episodes. i really didnt pay too much attention to that one cause i lost interest in that one right from the beginning. totally slipped my mind

Last edited by Levity : 10-08-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #26
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levity
o wow my bad. for whatever reason when typing that up that post, i thought the first one was 2 episodes. i really didnt pay too much attention to that one cause i lost interest in that one right from the beginning. totally slipped my mind

It is all good. I wasn't a big fan of the 1st episode myself, but did like the 2nd. Looking forward to this one.

Also, there have been several years where the 1st episode was one of the worst of the season.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
Myth

Quote:
Like I said i definitely do agree. The episode tomorrow will probably be funny, but for how long? How long down the line before people forget the whole Zimmerman thing (and especially World War Z) and it's not funny anymore? When I go back and watch reruns online, it's almost exclusively seasons 1-8 because everything after that seems dated as hell even though technically they're more current than the original ones, but it's because like you said the old episodes were built around the characters, not current events

I agree that the completely original ideas are best, but I still enjoy jokes about current events even when the episodes become old. Same thing with other shows. I still crack up at old SNL skits about Reagan, both Bushes, and Clinton. If the jokes are funny and are about things memorable enough, they will last in my mind. More specifically to South Park, the episodes with Kenny in a coma (based on Terri Schiavo) and N*****-guy (based much on the Michael Richards rant) are absolutely hilarious episodes that still work even though it has been a while since those events.

I guess in the end, funny is funny and I don't care if it is based on current events or not as long as it is still creative and not lazy.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
Myth

Just as I hoped: World War Zimmerman = Hilarious.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
TheReturn
Rnbizzle 2.0

TheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Just as I hoped: World War Zimmerman = Hilarious.
Agreed. I hadn't watched any South Park in like two years and thought I'd gotten too old for it, but I was wrong. This episode was amazing.
TheReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #30
paperstreet
Serious playground baller

paperstreet has an OK reputation so far

World war Zimmerman was a fantastic episode
paperstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: