Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default Is NFL football the only North American sport where....

if your city does not have a professional team you're considered a true NFL fan being loyal to a team instead of being a fan of a player?

I find that it seems more acceptable to follow players in other sports and support the team he plays on whereas NFL fans all over North America have a true loyalty to one franchise if they don't have their own.

Is it acceptable as an NFL fan to see someone follow a player and claim them as your team?
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Default Re: Is NFL football the only North American sport where....

Yes, there are no rules.

Just a bunch of stupid tw*ts take shit too seriously
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
if your city does not have a professional team you're considered a true NFL fan being loyal to a team instead of being a fan of a player?

I find that it seems more acceptable to follow players in other sports and support the team he plays on whereas NFL fans all over North America have a true loyalty to one franchise if they don't have their own.

Is it acceptable as an NFL fan to see someone follow a player and claim them as your team?

Besides quarterbacks the average NFL player has much less impact on the success of his team than the average NBA player.

You can be the greatest offensive tackle ever, but alone that isnt going to translate into wins.

Offensive tackle is one of the most important positions other than QB. Why they are often drafted high and paid a lot
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
RagaZ
Deal with it

NFL has a good fan-culture, unlike NBA.

Its really disgusting to see NBA-fans follow players rather than support a team.

A team/club will live forever, a player only "lives" 15 years. What are you gonna do when the player retire?
RagaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

Yeah like machoman said above, there are no rules to this.

But in football it would be harder to root for a whole team just because you like one player, unless that player is the QB.

Because half the time, that player won't even be on the field. And if he isn't the QB, he'll probably only be directly involved in about 10 plays per game (or 25 for a RB as good RB's get about 25 carries per game).

So it'd be pretty boring to try to watch a whole game just because of one player.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

tw*ts like that^

aahhhh tmac, not you!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagaZ
NFL has a good fan-culture, unlike NBA.

Its really disgusting to see NBA-fans follow players rather than support a team.

A team/club will live forever, a player only "lives" 15 years. What are you gonna do when the player retire?

I'd disagree.

Supporting a team really doesn't amount to much besides being part of a fan-base and rooting for colors. The players are not from that city and come and go all the time, so the city association is meaningless besides being a part of that fan-base.

Furthermore, it's pretty strange when a player who used to be on a rival team comes to your team. Or when you keep rooting for your team even after they make some disloyal moves and screw somebody over. Or when a team just all out moves.

Following a team is pretty wierd.

At least when you root for a player you might be rooting for something real. You like the players work ethic, his style of play, the fact that he played college at your alma matter, or whatever. All of that is just as real, if not more real, than rooting for a professional team.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
tw*ts like that^

aahhhh tmac, not you!

wut
Old 09-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Shade8780
Father Christmas

Dont you hate NFL football Macho?
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

I was calling the other guy a ****, not you.

I don't hate it, it's a little boring.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Shade8780
Father Christmas

Quote:
I was calling the other guy a ****, not you.

I don't hate it, it's a little boring.
I know, just wondering :)

Meh, it's not as exciting as basketball, but I find that it's more exciting than how other people think of it. Most people think it's one of the most boring sports to watch, but I think it's quite entertaining :P
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
I know, just wondering :)

Meh, it's not as exciting as basketball, but I find that it's more exciting than how other people think of it. Most people think it's one of the most boring sports to watch, but I think it's quite entertaining :P
i actually think nfl games are more exciting than your average nba game. mainly because i follow phoenix suns and we don't have anything exciting going on, but overall there is more parity in the nfl, and a lot of exciting talent. unless you have a top 3-4 player on your nba team, you know your team isn't going anywhere. i enjoy nba playoffs a lot, especially conference finals and finals but you already know which teams are making it and which aren't. the nfl is unpredictable because talent doesn't dictate success, who the hell thought 49ers were superbowl-bound and that ravens would win the championship? with the nba, you know a healthy okc or spurs are coming out of the west and it is a given that miami is coming out of the east. although this last season things were more exciting bc of rising teams (indiana, GSW, etc) but you still know in the back of your head curry and company ain't got enough to beat okc or a veteran squad in spurs.

tl;dr - nba is predictable, exciting sure, but predictable to a good extent. NFL is less predictable and most teams are on even ground so-to speak because of 1 game series instead of 7 game series. coming from phoenix, i like cheering for the underdogs
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
tomtucker
Prince of Wallachia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
I'd disagree.

Supporting a team really doesn't amount to much besides being part of a fan-base and rooting for colors. The players are not from that city and come and go all the time, so the city association is meaningless besides being a part of that fan-base.

Furthermore, it's pretty strange when a player who used to be on a rival team comes to your team. Or when you keep rooting for your team even after they make some disloyal moves and screw somebody over. Or when a team just all out moves.

Following a team is pretty wierd.

At least when you root for a player you might be rooting for something real. You like the players work ethic, his style of play, the fact that he played college at your alma matter, or whatever. All of that is just as real, if not more real, than rooting for a professional team.

tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
i actually think nfl games are more exciting than your average nba game. mainly because i follow phoenix suns and we don't have anything exciting going on, but overall there is more parity in the nfl, and a lot of exciting talent. unless you have a top 3-4 player on your nba team, you know your team isn't going anywhere. i enjoy nba playoffs a lot, especially conference finals and finals but you already know which teams are making it and which aren't. the nfl is unpredictable because talent doesn't dictate success, who the hell thought 49ers were superbowl-bound and that ravens would win the championship? with the nba, you know a healthy okc or spurs are coming out of the west and it is a given that miami is coming out of the east. although this last season things were more exciting bc of rising teams (indiana, GSW, etc) but you still know in the back of your head curry and company ain't got enough to beat okc or a veteran squad in spurs.

tl;dr - nba is predictable, exciting sure, but predictable to a good extent. NFL is less predictable and most teams are on even ground so-to speak because of 1 game series instead of 7 game series. coming from phoenix, i like cheering for the underdogs

When I say it's a little boring I meant the gameplay though. A predictable NBA game is better than a predictable NFL game. BBall is just a more enjoyable game to me
Old 09-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
highwhey
el vato encabronado

Quote:
When I say it's a little boring I meant the gameplay though. A predictable NBA game is better than a predictable NFL game. BBall is just a more enjoyable game to me
thats reasonable. i enjoy hooping more than i do playing football so i can relate. both sports are enjoyable to me though, it just irks me that suns don't do anything in the playoffs
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: