Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here
Default Roy Jones or Floyd Mayweather

More impressive boxer to you and why?
I don't follow boxing that closely to be honest with you, so I'm simply trying to educate myself on how great Roy really was.

I know he was something like 49-0 before ending up losing more then half of his remaining fights after that point. Floyd is 44-0, very similar stats but who was the more impressive/dominant performer in the boxing ring?
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Roy Jones or Floyd Mayweather

i'd go with floyd 'joy' mayweather who fought sugar ray leonard, i'm not even sure if roy jones sr. was a boxer

Last edited by magic chiongson : 09-13-2013 at 04:58 PM.
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would go with Floyd.
Roy Jones Jr was f.ucken exciting as shit because he was so fast and quick. That's what set him apart, his speed and his quickness that was unmatched.

Floyd is fast and quick too, but he has more "skill" I would say. More technique, footwork, etc. very smart boxer and understands boxing as an art.

Both some of my favorite boxers

Last edited by MJ(Mean John) : 09-13-2013 at 05:13 PM.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Both very very very skilled, with Floyd having more discipline and Roy having better natural gifts. Roy was more skilled than people think. People got caught up in his flashiness and showmanship, etc., but he could box the sh*t out of you with superior technique. Floyd is simply a master of all things boxing, a MASTER. Very proper in his technique.

As for who is more exciting, I'd say Roy. I love watching Floyd but Roy was a freakshow in his prime. One of the most entertaining fighters of all time.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
rhythmic †hesis
Welcome to LA S. Nash!

rhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation hererhythmic †hesis has an incredible reputation here

Dam I grew up watching Roy and loved him.
Him, Oscar, Whitaker & Tyson were my favorite boxers...I didn't expect people to say Floyd is that close to Roy.

Again, I haven't watched too many of his fights but I hear the hype.
Interesting, Floyd truly is a legend then.
rhythmic †hesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Roy Jones Jr is the more exciting fighter, but Floyd would rank higher than him when his career is over.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Roy Jones dominated with superhuman athleticism while Floyd dominates mentally.

Neither is more impressive than the other I think. The former is more entertaining to watch, the latter appeals to me more on a personal level.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
KyleKong
OTC Heir Apparent

KyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Roy Jones Jr. was the most exciting and dominating boxer in the lighter divisions, ever.

Not as good Sugar Ray, but in terms of just making your opponent look like a child whose never put on a pair of gloves, Roy is the GOAT.

Also, Roy Jones could have retired undefeated if he never won that title at Heavyweight. When he dropped back down he had to lose around 20 pounds of pure muscle, fvcked up his agility and shit.
KyleKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

I wish both fighters would have fought a bunch more guys, or at least fought their opponents earlier.

If Roy and Floyd were born a few years earlier, it would have been a lot crazier imo.

Roy should have fought Eubank, McClellan, Nigel Benn, Herol Graham, Nunn, Norris, Watson, Toney again, Hopkins again way earlier, etc.

Floyd should have fought DLH way earlier, Mosley way earlier, Cotto way earlier, Pac, Williams, Harris, Forrest, etc.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

prime roy jones.

keyword: prime
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #11
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Roy Jones Jr. was otherworldly over the span of about a decade. Not only did he never lose fights, he never seemed to lose rounds until after the Ruiz fight. He was also very unique in that he relied so heavily on his insane natural talent and reflexes that, as soon as they began to slip, he was done.

Roy was completely fundamentally unsound. The same thing that made him so great and so unique was eventually his downfall. In his prime, he broke every rule in the boxing book... going straight back after throwing a combination... Putting your hands down and sticking your chin out... throwing wild punches from odd angles....

He was always able to overcome these flaws with his unreal reflexes. When those reflexes started to slow, however, you saw the result. I've never seen a fighter go from 'unbeatable' to being beaten around by guys that he should be toying with. That is what happens, though, when you base your whole fighting style on reflexes and athletic talent rather than proper fundamentals.

Had Roy learned how to roll with punches, step to the side after unleashing a combination, use his jab to set up power shots, be a little more cautious with his jumping in and out of trouble and having a solidly fundamental defensive base to fall back upon, his undefeated streak would have lasted even longer than it did.

Then again, he wouldn't have been as dynamic and unique as he was in his athletic prime.

Floyd is pretty much the exact opposite. Both Roy and Floyd were born with a ridiculous amount of natural talent, but Floyd didn't rely on that to make him a champion. He has matched and exceeded his natural talent with a skillset centered around proper technique and defensive skill.

It's rare to get that kind of combination in a fighter.

So, when Floyd begins to slow down (already happening), he will still have that skill, technique and solid fundamentals to fall back upon. That's why I'd be very surprised if he went out the way Roy did, being knocked out by guys who he'd have annihilated a couple years prior.

At the same time, that's the reason a lot of people say Floyd is boring, yet they loved watching Roy. I guess that's the trade-off.

Who's greater? In the grand scheme, Floyd will likely finish above Roy on most historians' pound-for-pound rankings. A lot of that will have to do with a lack of elite competition for Roy during his best years, which wasn't really his fault. I still say, at his prime, he might beat anyone who has ever fought in the 168-pound division.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-14-2013 at 03:42 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Wade3
I hit open layups

Wade3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Roy Jones Jr. was otherworldly over the span of about a decade. Not only did he never lose fights, he never seemed to lose rounds until after the Ruiz fight. He was also very unique in that he relied so heavily on his insane natural talent and reflexes that, as soon as they began to slip, he was done.

Roy was completely fundamentally unsound. The same thing that made him so great and so unique was eventually his downfall. In his prime, he broke every rule in the boxing book... going straight back after throwing a combination... Putting your hands down and sticking your chin out... throwing wild punches from odd angles....

He was always able to overcome these flaws with his unreal reflexes. When those reflexes started to slow, however, you saw the result. I've never seen a fighter go from 'unbeatable' to being beaten around by guys that he should be toying with. That is what happens, though, when you base your whole fighting style on reflexes and athletic talent rather than proper fundamentals.

Had Roy learned how to roll with punches, step to the side after unleashing a combination, use his jab to set up power shots, be a little more cautious with his jumping in and out of trouble and having a solidly fundamental defensive base to fall back upon, his undefeated streak would have lasted even longer than it did.

Then again, he wouldn't have been as dynamic and unique as he was in his athletic prime.

Floyd is pretty much the exact opposite. Both Roy and Floyd were born with a ridiculous amount of natural talent, but Floyd didn't rely on that to make him a champion. He has matched and exceeded his natural talent with a skillset centered around proper technique and defensive skill.

It's rare to get that kind of combination in a fighter.

So, when Floyd begins to slow down (already happening), he will still have that skill, technique and solid fundamentals to fall back upon. That's why I'd be very surprised if he went out the way Roy did, being knocked out by guys who he'd have annihilated a couple years prior.

At the same time, that's the reason a lot of people say Floyd is boring, yet they loved watching Roy. I guess that's the trade-off.

Who's greater? In the grand scheme, Floyd will likely finish above Roy on most historians' pound-for-pound rankings. A lot of that will have to do with a lack of elite competition for Roy during his best years, which wasn't really his fault. I still say, at his prime, he might beat anyone who has ever fought in the 168-pound division.

Basically covered everything although i will say Floyd relies more on his reflexes than people think, not as athletic as Roy (who is) but i see a sharp decline coming soon for Floyd as much it hurts to admit.
Wade3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
lefthook00
College star

I already think Floyd has noticeably slowed down. Part of it is fighting at a higher weight, part of it is bigger gloves, part of it is age, part of it is using his feet a bit less. He has been out of his physical prime for a while but is still at the top due to his skill and mind, a la Kobe Bryant a few years back.

I relate Floyd's combos to Kobe's dunking. 2005-10 Kobe could dunk and jump nearly as high as he could when he was when he was younger, when he wanted to, but you just simply saw it less often. Same with LeBron now vs. his Cavs days. That's how you know when a baller is exiting his physical prime imo. Not the level of explosion on individual dunks, but the frequency. Floyd can obviously throw some sick combos but you see it less and less since the De La Hoya fight. Now you still need unreal reflexes and hand/foot speed to pot shot, but Floyd used to come behind those potshots with punishing combos. I dunno, maybe he just changed his style against the bigger guys.

They both have insane natural cardio though, they both have been known to play full court basketball games literally hours before their fights. That's f*cking crazy, as I'm sure most people on this forum play/played full court basketball.

Last edited by lefthook00 : 09-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: