Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Budadiiii
Live Strong.

Budadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation hereBudadiiii has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: What if we discovered that everytime you fall asleep you died..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
there isn't. it just runs under different guidelines and is actually more active than during waking states, IIRC.

i know that wasn't your point, but... :P
Yes, technically, we don't lose consciousness, we just don't form memories at certain times. Which of course is what I was getting at..
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Nah **** it
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Yes, technically, we don't lose consciousness, we just don't form memories at certain times. Which of course is what I was getting at..
if that is the case, then i'd say that one notable aspect of your scenerio is that we would go insane rather rapidly.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I guess this one define the expression "Woke up a different person", but yeah eventually you would have to sleep and that would be that.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Wait...the us from yesterday is basically dead. We are not who we were yesterday. The yesterday us (or a second ago) already stop existing.

That is true in a sense, but the present us is always accepted as the continuation of the previous versions of us. What I think I found interesting about the question last night is that trying to fend off death is a large part of human behavior. But in some way if we have already experienced death (by dying every night and someone new waking up) we might realize there isn't anything to worry about. If you were to realize the you right now is going to die and be replaced by another you would you still try to fight it or would you just go with it?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
..and a new person with all of your memories wakes up in the morning, would you go to sleep tonight?

The new person has no idea they are new and they just assume that they are a continuation of the person that fell asleep the night before. So basically you right now will stop existing if you go to sleep and be replaced by a new you. This also means that the you from yesterday is now dead and you are their replacement. Does impeding death bother you in this scenario and would you try to hold it off or are you willing to give up your existence to the replacement you?

(Yeah.. I am kind of drunk again lol I think this makes sense though.. right!?)
But that is what is actually happening... the continuity that it is you is imagined
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
That is true in a sense, but the present us is always accepted as the continuation of the previous versions of us. What I think I found interesting about the question last night is that trying to fend off death is a large part of human behavior. But in some way if we have already experienced death (by dying every night and someone new waking up) we might realize there isn't anything to worry about. If you were to realize the you right now is going to die and be replaced by another you would you still try to fight it or would you just go with it?

The ego views many things as death like (maybe even worse than death)... public shaming, failing, etc. We have instincts to survive yes, but a fear of death? I don't know if I really buy that. As far as we know, animals don't fear death. They haven't evolved enough to become aware of death... so in that regard there is nothing for them to fear. I mean yes because we are aware of death we can say we fear it somewhat, but it's only because it represents the unknown. Otherwise, why should we fear something that is a part of life? There cannot be life without death.

The fact that we don't know what happens is the beauty of the whole process. If we knew for sure what happened after we die surely we would look at life differently and live it differently. The kicker is, when you go to sleep, you expect to wake up so there is nothing to fear. But what if you never woke up? What if you just died in your sleep and never came back? You would have never been afraid of anything in the first place.

BTW props to you for thinking thoughts like this. Usually when I drink, smoke weed or munch on some shrooms by myself, I start thinking about this kind of stuff too (I do when I am sober as well, but I definitely start thinking more abstractly when my mind is freed from sobriety). Some people might think, well what does it accomplish? And I would answer, a greater understanding of the self and the only things really matter in the end... life, and death.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 09-17-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #23
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
The ego views many things as death like (maybe even worse than death)... public shaming, failing, etc. We have instincts to survive yes, but a fear of death? I don't know if I really buy that. As far as we know, animals don't fear death. They haven't evolved enough to become aware of death... so in that regard there is nothing for them to fear. I mean yes because we are aware of death we can say we fear it somewhat, but it's only because it represents the unknown. Otherwise, why should we fear something that is a part of life? There cannot be life without death.

The fact that we don't know what happens is the beauty of the whole process. If we knew for sure what happened after we die surely we would look at life differently and live it differently. The kicker is, when you go to sleep, you expect to wake up so there is nothing to fear. But what if you never woke up? What if you just died in your sleep and never came back? You would have never been afraid of anything in the first place.

BTW props to you for thinking thoughts like this. Usually when I drink, smoke weed or munch on some shrooms by myself, I start thinking about this kind of stuff too (I do when I am sober as well, but I definitely start thinking more abstractly when my mind is freed from sobriety). Some people might think, well what does it accomplish? And I would answer, a greater understanding of the self and the only things really matter in the end... life, and death.
well, let's just say this-- you are a pretty, pretty, pretty amazing motherf--ker to realise all that, IMO.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Haha yea I don't know about that. Sometimes I think you give me too much credit Gigantes but
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #25
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has decent reputation

You can't stop yourself from falling asleep right? So i'll do whatever I want then go sleep...
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #26
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Haha yea I don't know about that. Sometimes I think you give me too much credit Gigantes but
dude... f--k credit. credit can go to hell.

i'm on the old side of 30, straining to comprehend this stuff... and you're that much younger than me, stating the reality so beautifully.

it's jealousy, mate... nothing but pure, unadulterated, hateful jealousy.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: