Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
riseagainst
Lebron fan

riseagainst is starting to rub some people the wrong wayriseagainst is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default why is it that you can join the military at 18

but legal to drink when you are 21?

I think if you are old enough to handle guns and serve your country with your life, and possibly kill people, you should be let to drink alcohol.

What's everyone's take on this?
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: why is it that you can join the military at 18

I think the drinking age limit thing is the driving factor behind american youth's obsession with binge drinking.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

That's because at 18 you can handle a gun no problem but at 18 you cannot handle your booze.
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I haven't looked at stats yet but I am sure drinking kills more people every year than war does...

it might even kill more people that don't even drink every year than war does...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst
but legal to drink when you are 21?

I think if you are old enough to handle guns and serve your country with your life, and possibly kill people, you should be let to drink alcohol.

What's everyone's take on this?
I'm assuming you're underage. I too had the same question when I was younger, but now that I am 21 I realize it's no big deal. If anything, it can lead to problems if you are not mature enough to control your alcohol consumption. Believe me, you will waste a lot of money visiting bars every weekend too. And your tolerance grows quickly, I was almost finishing off a bottle of gin every other night. There would only be a small amount left in the bottle next morning.

Don't even get me started on wine, sht is weak, I'd finish a 750ml bottle easily, but that's bc wine has relatively low alc %.

Anyways, you're liver will be fully grown when your 21 and yoy will have all the time in the world to drink.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

At 18 you've just reached your physical prime in some ways. Well, 21-26 is probably you're real physical prime, but 18-21 is right behind that, and there's no reason to get rid of that age group from the military.

Also, if you get rid of 18 year old's in the army, then everyone in the army who is 21 will then be a complete rookie and won't know sh*t.

And at 18 to 21 you're brain is still growing and alcohol can fukk that up.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Yeah but when you join the Military...everyone is Drinking everywhere you go anyways.....Alcohol is EZ to get....like H20

No one cares unless you get busted for a DUI...
AlphaWolf24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

It's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableIt's A VC3!!! is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I understand the reasoning of the law but does the law understand that 95% of underage people that want to drink alcohol end up drinking it anyways. Back in high school every weekend we used our fake id's to obtain alcohol. As did 90% of the junior and senior class. even a lot of freshman and sophomore got their hands on it.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Most people in my generation who grew up with the 21+ drinkin age dont even realize the age used to be 18 when our parents were teens. The reason they raised it is because of all the drunken driving fatalities that were happening in the 18-21 age bracket. So instead of raising the driving age they raised the drinking age.

As usual people look at other countries and think "zomg how come france does it this way but stupid backward US cant???" Well driving is far less common in all of Europe, and therefore drunk driving is not as big of a danger. A kid I knew back in high school is in prison right now for vehicular homocide. And he was a normal kid too, nice guy. Made a really stupid decision to drive drunk, killed someone in an accident, now hes in prison. Drunk driving is no joke. I got popped for it when I was young myself, luckily i got pulled over for speeding, before anything tragic could happen. My BAC was only .12 i was really more buzzed than drunk, i was always conscious even then to never drive if i was goin out to get plastered, but i def crossed over the legal limit sometimes and got busted for it.

Anyway if you wanna argue the age law isnt very efective or efficient and could use overhaul then Im with you. I dont care if 18 year olds drink, i just wanna make sure we can keep em off the road when they do. Goes for any age but theyre proven to be the hardest to prevent
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
greymatter
Local High School Star

greymatter has decent reputation

Very simple.

18 year olds are a lot more impressionable/moldable than 21 y/o's. Also, the government would rather you potentially die as its pawn in some stupid BS war like Iraq rather than possibly dying while doing something stupid in an alcohol inspired incident.
greymatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Cuz people fresh out of high school are physically strong but mentally weak

Joining the army can make you mentally and physically stronger, so that's why it's allowed and encouraged. But if you've ever seen college freshmen partying like idiots it'd be no mystery at all why the law wants to keep them from drinking legally in public.

Military - Improves your mental and physical health

Alcohol - Decreases your mental and physical health (at least for the time you're consuming it)

I don't see why it's even a question why one would be legal and one wouldn't be for impressionable young people
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Because 18 year olds know that guns kill people... but they don't seem to understand that drunk drivers kill more people. Well I think they realize, but they just don't really care yet.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Cuz people fresh out of high school are physically strong but mentally weak

Joining the army can make you mentally and physically stronger, so that's why it's allowed and encouraged. But if you've ever seen college freshmen partying like idiots it'd be no mystery at all why the law wants to keep them from drinking legally in public.

Military - Improves your mental and physical health

Alcohol - Decreases your mental and physical health (at least for the time you're consuming it)

I don't see why it's even a question why one would be legal and one wouldn't be for impressionable young people

Exactly, you learn trades and skills in the military. It doesn't have to be just soldiering in the middle east for 5 years. There are heaps of career opportunities to be had by joining the military.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
KyleKong
Big Sexy

KyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dumb mothers, that's why.
KyleKong is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: