Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheReal Kendall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Would the NBA be better without recording stats?

Without recording stats would people play harder?

The only stat that would matter is your W/L record and how many Championships you win.

I know without stats a lot of people on ISH would be forced to actually watch the games instead of looking at the boxscore at the end of ever game.
TheReal Kendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Would the NBA be better without recording stats?

No, because they do help with analysis. I just don't care for some of the newer stats that try and sum up a player's whole game in one number.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
USABall
Kids at the park dunk on me

USABall has no real reputation yet.

I think in some ways it would be. However, NBA teams who use statistics in a comparative/competitive fashion are probably improving the quality of play based on their ability to predict, albeit with little certainty, opposing floor position likelihood, how they react to certain situations and where their opponent/own players are most effective. Most of these statistics can't be taken as definitive, however I feel, if used properly by the right people, it can help improve the game.

Last edited by USABall : 09-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.
USABall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

durant will still secretly record lebron's stats
inclinerator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryTheReal Kendall posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by USABall
I think in some ways it would be. However, NBA teams who use statistics in a comparative/competitive fashion are probably improving the quality of play based on their ability to predict, albeit with little certainty, opposing floor position likelihood, how they react to certain situations and where their opponent/own players are most effective. Most of these statistics can't be taken as definitive, however I feel, if used properly by the right people, it can help improve the game.

The game of bball is simple.

You can tell where people are most effective simply by playing with them and watching them play.

I feel like the game would be better without stats though.

I know I'm probably just saying this cause I'm tired of all of the comparing of players or whatever.

I just enjoy watching the game. I could careless about fg% or anything like that
Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Fresh Kid
Banned

Fresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Kid

I don't see how this is facepalm worthy.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What???
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Marchesk has an OK reputation so far

Without stats, Kobe > Lebron
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesk
Without stats, Kobe > Lebron

Melo > Kobe > Lebron > MJ
Old 09-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here

Yes it would because it would force people to actually watch games rather than base everything off meaningless stats. Statistics lie and are very often misleading, some of the time they are used well but when it comes to discussion of basketball people never use them how they should.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
kennethgriffin
NBA rookie of the year

kennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkennethgriffin has one of the lowest reputations on this board

i think it would make the game better if they recorded with hockey style box scores

points ( scoring + assists )

assists ( last man + 3rd last man to touch the ball )

kobe would average 10 more asissts a game and 45 overall ppg

plus it would make people more willing to pass
kennethgriffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
i think it would make the game better if they recorded with hockey style box scores

points ( scoring + assists )

assists ( last man + 3rd last man to touch the ball )

kobe would average 10 more asissts a game and 45 overall ppg

plus it would make people more willing to pass

So you want it to change to help Kobe out?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Dr. Ice
Great young streetballer

Dr. Ice has an OK reputation so far

People would start debating if jamal crawford is a top 10 player in the league
Dr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
CanYouDigIt
Banned

CanYouDigIt has one of the lowest reputations on this boardCanYouDigIt has one of the lowest reputations on this boardCanYouDigIt has one of the lowest reputations on this boardCanYouDigIt has one of the lowest reputations on this boardCanYouDigIt has one of the lowest reputations on this boardCanYouDigIt has one of the lowest reputations on this board

ISH would be better without you

CanYouDigIt is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: