Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #151
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Weeden will go down as one of the worst 1st round picks ever. It isn't because he is so awful that he didn't deserve playing in the league. I thought he did reasonably well last year for a rookie. The problem? The guy is 30 years oldWeeden will go down as one of the worst 1st round picks ever. It isn't because he is so awful that he didn't deserve playing in the league. I thought he did reasonably well last year for a rookie. The problem? The guy is 30 years old.

This is what makes the pick more abstract than anything else. Regardless of position. Regardless of talent, who's ever heard of a 28 year old selected in the 1st round of any sport, much less the one professional sport where age has the most impact? Weeden had his moments. He wasn't a sure-shot bust, and I wouldn't even go as far as saying the "worst" - but certainly one of the most bizarre and enigmatic 1st rounders to say the least.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #152
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I seen no timidness. If you examine each run and cut back opportunities, it wasn't there. The backside had contain, or their simply wasn't a cutback hole to go through.

I don't think you gain 85 percent of your yards after contact by running timid GoBB
You know my stance on Richardson. I like a lot of what he does. I do think he lacks big play explosiveness, but I always thought he was incredibly steady and the kind of guy who was capable of grinding teams down with a barrage of 8-10 yard runs.

All of that said, he has to start producing at some point, doesn't he? He's still learning the system in Indianapolis and the cohesion between a line and a RB is an underrated aspect of the run game which takes time to acquire. Still, Bradshaw was breaking runs last week with the same line.

I still believe Richardson will be a quality RB in this league, but he needs to do better than 3 yards per carry.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #153
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
This is what makes the pick more abstract than anything else. Regardless of position. Regardless of talent, who's ever heard of a 28 year old selected in the 1st round of any sport, much less the one professional sport where age has the most impact? Weeden had his moments. He wasn't a sure-shot bust, and I wouldn't even go as far as saying the "worst" - but certainly one of the most bizarre and enigmatic 1st rounders to say the least.
I'll never forget the sheer terror that I felt as the Browns' pick was approaching and they began flashing Weeden's ginger mug onto the screen, holding a telephone, clearly in deep discussion with a team. Then, the sense of disbelief when Kiper told the audience that he would, in fact, be the pick.

I had a house full of friends. We had waited months for the draft. When the Weeden pick was made, everyone left with their heads down and I went to bed.

Again, thanks Mike... you fat slob.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #154
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

I think if you go back and examine the type of holes Bradshaw was being presented with, it would explain the yards per carry. Don't want that to come across as any RB could have made those yards Bradshaw did, because Bradshaw is really really good, IMO. He made the most and then some for what type of blocking he was given.

....but he at least was given holes to run through, not a muddy mess or getting hit behind the LOS like so many of Trents runs thus far.

If Trent doesn't run well I'll be the first one to admit it. I don't hide from being critical of Luck when he plays bad, or any Colt.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #155
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I'll never forget the sheer terror that I felt as the Browns' pick was approaching and they began flashing Weeden's ginger mug onto the screen, holding a telephone, clearly in deep discussion with a team. Then, the sense of disbelief when Kiper told the audience that he would, in fact, be the pick.

I had a house full of friends. We had waited months for the draft. When the Weeden pick was made, everyone left with their heads down and I went to bed.

Again, thanks Mike... you fat slob.

I think Mike's short tenure heading Cleveland's back office has easily proven he's much more suited for the sidelines opposed to making player personnel decisions on paper. Then again, at times, I just feel that franchise is just cursed.

Last edited by Hoodlum Science : 09-30-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #156
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Besides that that first round with the Weeden and T-rich debacle I thought he did a good job with the Browns.

He built the team up with alot of young talent, the first round of that particular draft just sent him to his grave though.

If they were to have gotten lets say Tannehill with their first pick then he'd be looking like a genius right about now..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #157
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Besides that that first round with the Weeden and T-rich debacle I thought he did a good job with the Browns.

He built the team up with alot of young talent, the first round of that particular draft just sent him to his grave though.

If they were to have gotten lets say Tannehill with their first pick then he'd be looking like a genius right about now..
I give most of the credit for the good drafts during those years to Heckert. From what I've read, Heckert did the majority of the draft work. Holmgren would occasionally step in and pull rank on a pick, like he did for Colt McCoy.

It sounds like he pulled a similar ranking of Heckert for Weeden.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...on-weeden-pick

Also, don't forget... Not only did they take a RB ridiculously high, they gave up three picks, including a 4th rounder, to move from No. 4 to No. 3 to get Richardson, even though Minnesota had no intention of taking him or trading the pick.

I have very little respect for Holmgren for what he did here. What Jim Brown said is exactly the perception which was rumored during his time here and definitely the lasting impression now that he's gone. It was all about a paycheck and he put in very little work to building this football team.

He brought in Heckert, which I consider his only valuable decision. Shurmur was a pick made by Holmgren and it just so happened that he is good friends with Pat's dad and they're represented by the same PR company. That's what Brown is referring to when he talked about "getting money for his buddies."

Shurmur, in on way, shape or form, was ready to be a head coach in the NFL. It was a joke. A worse decision than his Richardson/Weeden picks.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #158
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Buying Browns jerseys is a risky investment. Ask these three guys, randomly photographed at yesterday's game.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #159
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer

Mike Holmgren literally stole money. Almost every decision he made was bad. He hired his good buddy's nephew as HC, Pat Shurmur. Lazy fat f*ck. The Browns were exactly as sh*tty as they were, maybe worse off, after Holmgren's reign of laziness, nepotism, and poor drafting. F*cking crook.

The Browns D is where they are because of Lombardi and Banner bringing in Kruger and Bryant and drafting Mingo who looks to be a stud. Much more impressive rookie than T-rich ever was. L+B also brought in Hoyer who actually makes the brown's offense look like an offense.

Last edited by DukeDelonte13 : 10-02-2013 at 10:10 AM.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #160
DukeDelonte13

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Context behind 3ypc, good one. He is running too timid especially between the tackles. No burst or explosion. Where is the vision and cut back? For xmas can you ask for a new phone? Looks like I was watching vintage football with technicolor

Nailed T-Rich on the head. He isn't a decisive back. He just needs to hit holes hard and focus on just advancing the line of scrimmage rather than dancing around waiting for a big hole to open up. He's frustrating to watch because its obvious he's very talented but he just isn't putting it together out there.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #161
zoom17
Relax

zoom17 has an incredible reputation herezoom17 has an incredible reputation herezoom17 has an incredible reputation herezoom17 has an incredible reputation herezoom17 has an incredible reputation herezoom17 has an incredible reputation herezoom17 has an incredible reputation herezoom17 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Buying Browns jerseys is a risky investment. Ask these three guys, randomly photographed at yesterday's game.

No Brandon Weeden
zoom17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #162
DukeDelonte13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom17
No Brandon Weeden

he was the bastard red-headed child. Nobody really wanted him pre draft. After they picked him some people were optimistic but Colt had a following that was pretty damn pissed that he wasn't given a shot to play behind an actual o-line with an actual RB and receivers. McCoy v. Weeden discussions became very heated between Browns fans.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #163
Godzuki
NBA All-star

Godzuki is starting to rub some people the wrong wayGodzuki is starting to rub some people the wrong way

i really don't like what the Colts gave up for him, or the idea that they wanted some superstar RB and become a power running team when they gave up Peyton for their QB of the future who is supposed to become a future superstar, and now just want him to be a game manager. its just real dumb to me.

only thing dumber IMO is what TB gave up for Revis, and CB's in this league can go to complete shit quick w/ reputations that are often exaggerated because they aren't tested often. just way too much for one player.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #164
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

If you think the Colts want Luck to be a game manager in the sense of what I think you mean, you are severely ignorant on the subject.

It's about balance.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #165
Godzuki
NBA All-star

Godzuki is starting to rub some people the wrong wayGodzuki is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
If you think the Colts want Luck to be a game manager in the sense of what I think you mean, you are severely ignorant on the subject.

It's about balance.

they want a power running game. that is suggesting a focus on ground based running game.

yes they want Luck to be a game manager if their focus is power running. you can't have it both ways. just look at how much Luck's throwing has been used or how much his WR's have been putting up this year. he's hardly used compared to any/all other top tier or somewhat star QB focused teams, and nowhere close to last year.

either way its just a dumb move considering most RB's are much more dependent on their Olines than some being so much better than the rest...unless its AP. even if they're injured or injury prone Ballard wasn't bad, Bradshaw is above average, and even their 3rd string had his moments as well, i forget his name.

Last edited by Godzuki : 10-02-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: