Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #61
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,999
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

fans views are about 50/50 on this it seems
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=531012


the ones siding with Cleveland generally stating that Trent isn't worth a 1st round pick...

it's bad news for the Browns either way though...the team just declared their 2012 draft to be busted with this trade, and in the NFL it is vital to draft well.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #62
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,040
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
fans views are about 50/50 on this it seems
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=531012


the ones siding with Cleveland generally stating that Trent isn't worth a 1st round pick...

it's bad news for the Browns either way though...the team just declared their 2012 draft to be busted with this trade, and in the NFL it is vital to draft well.
When isn't it bad news for the Browns?

Safe to say the current regime doesn't think much of the previous one. I hope they're right. That's all I can say. They could lose fans with this move if it doesn't work out.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #63
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,945
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Michael Lombardi on the 2012 draft:

1. I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.

Very interesting.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #64
SCY
Put yr guns up
 
SCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HoustoN
Posts: 4,268
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
For those saying the Browns did this one year after taking him No. 3 and trading up for him, I will remind you that this is a completely different front office and coaching staff. This group had nothing to do with the decision to take Richardson.

Even it was the same regime, his draft position is irrelevant to this particular trade IMO. If you're convinced you made a bad investment, you can't undo it, but you want to minimize your losses, not throw good money after bad. If I'm a Browns fan I can at least look on the bright side that this appears to be a bolder regime that wants to make their own way. We'll see if it works out.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #65
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,312
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Got some friends who are claiming that they are "done" as Browns fans. The team leaving for Baltimore didn't kill it for them, nor did the 85 quarterbacks and multiple losing seasons in the row since their rebirth in 99. It took the Trent Richardson trade to do them in.

Kinda strange that they are punting the season, though, because it's widely assumed that the Steelers and Ravens will have possible down years (Steelers are already on their way towards that), which doesn't happen very often. They missed out on a rare chance to compete, because those teams will probably rebuild/reload. They always do.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #66
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,040
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Got some friends who are claiming that they are "done" as Browns fans. The team leaving for Baltimore didn't kill it for them, nor did the 85 quarterbacks and multiple losing seasons in the row since their rebirth in 99. It took the Trent Richardson trade to do them in.

Kinda strange that they are punting the season, though, because it's widely assumed that the Steelers and Ravens will have possible down years (Steelers are already on their way towards that), which doesn't happen very often. They missed out on a rare chance to compete, because those teams will probably rebuild/reload. They always do.
I think it probably has more to do with the front office basically throwing in the towel after two games than Richardson himself. With that said, he had become the face of the franchise along with Joe Haden and one of the few bright spots we've had to look forward to each week over the past year.

This move is so completely out of left field, the natural reaction is to question what the hell the front office is doing. And, let me tell you, if that second first round pick doesn't turn out to be a quality player, it could be the end for this group. They've really put themselves in a "must hit" situation with the fans.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #67
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,040
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Michael Lombardi on the 2012 draft:

1. I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.

Very interesting.
Lombardi was an annoying TV personality, which made me very unexcited when he was announced GM. Maybe things changed for some reason? They obviously believe that mid-to-late first round pick is worth more than Richardson at this point.

Maybe Banner is the guy calling the shots?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #68
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,312
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I think it probably has more to do with the front office basically throwing in the towel after two games than Richardson himself. With that said, he had become the face of the franchise along with Joe Haden and one of the few bright spots we've had to look forward to each week over the past year.

This move is so completely out of left field, the natural reaction is to question what the hell the front office is doing. And, let me tell you, if that second first round pick doesn't turn out to be a quality player, it could be the end for this group. They've really put themselves in a "must hit" situation with the fans.


I feel pretty bad for the fans that I know, because there are few fanbases that are more loyal. Anyone can be a Steelers fan, and lord knows Ohio has plenty of them. Even people living in the heart of Browns/Bengals territory. I think it would be good for the league to have a competitive football team coming from Cleveland. Put a big time playoff game in that stadium, and they would most definitely rock that joint like few cities could.

I've never lived in northern Ohio, but I'm aware of the mentality. The Cavs/Indians are time passers, no matter how well those teams are doing. That region lives/breathes/eats Browns football.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #69
MMM
877-954-1893
 
MMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,593
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

I think a 1st round pick is more valuable than people think even if it is a mid round pick. Cleveland is stacking up picks which will give them flexibility to move up, down, or trade into future drafts. I think in a few years this trade has the potential working out well for the Browns.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #70
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,945
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Holmgren had this to say.


4 Weeks. 12 Teams. 1 Cash Prize. Check out the all-new Fantasy Football Player Challenge!
EyeOn
Football
Holmgren rips Browns for Richardson trade, says he would have quit
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
September 20, 2013 8:03 am ET

The outrage surrounding the Trent Richardson trade -- Cleveland sent him to Indy for a first-round pick -- has been strong. Go ahead and add Mike Holmgren to the list of people who don't like it.

Holmgren, who actually drafted Richardson No. 3 overall in 2012, said if he was coaching the Browns they would've had to "fire me" after the deal they made.

"I struggled with it,'' Holmgren said on Sports Radio KJR via Cleveland.com. "Philosophically, if I am the coach and someone came in anywhere and did that, I'd say 'OK, fire me, or I'm going to quit. Or we're going to both go into the owner and talk about this and the we'll see who's still standing."

"To me, they're putting all their eggs for next season,'' said Holmgren. "They started off 0-2, they couldn't score any points, I think it was a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction. There's a little bit of a 'what's going on?' I don't know this for sure but I can sense it."
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #71
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,945
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Something else to point out is the previous regime in Cleveland really did a great job of drafting.

They drafted Haden & Ward, two very productive players in 2010.

They also drafted Lauvao, a RG who has started for them for two years and counting when he gets healthy.

2011 they drafted Taylor & Sheard...two vital pieces to their defense....and also got Buster Skrine late, a serviceable player.

They also drafted Jason Pinkston, a LG who is a starter for them.

Jordan Cameron looks like he's on his way to being a very productive player as well, another pick from the 2011 class.

2012 they drafted Mitchell Shwartz, a guy who had a hell of a rookie year (but tough start to this year) along with John Hughes and Billy Winn, two guys who look like they will be a part of that defensive line for a long time.

Aside from the Weeden pick they showed a very very impressive track record of drafting. I think they knew what they were doing when they drafted Trent 3rd overall. I am not a proponent of drafting a RB at 3rd overall, but it shows you the type of player and overall package Trent was thought to be by a superior drafting regime.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #72
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 28,040
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Something else to point out is the previous regime in Cleveland really did a great job of drafting.

They drafted Haden & Ward, two very productive players in 2010.

They also drafted Lauvao, a RG who has started for them for two years and counting when he gets healthy.

2011 they drafted Taylor & Sheard...two vital pieces to their defense....and also got Buster Skrine late, a serviceable player.

They also drafted Jason Pinkston, a LG who is a starter for them.

Jordan Cameron looks like he's on his way to being a very productive player as well, another pick from the 2011 class.

2012 they drafted Mitchell Shwartz, a guy who had a hell of a rookie year (but tough start to this year) along with John Hughes and Billy Winn, two guys who look like they will be a part of that defensive line for a long time.

Aside from the Weeden pick they showed a very very impressive track record of drafting. I think they knew what they were doing when they drafted Trent 3rd overall. I am not a proponent of drafting a RB at 3rd overall, but it shows you the type of player and overall package Trent was thought to be by a superior drafting regime.
They did a great job of drafting prior to the 2012 draft. It wasn't just the awful (which is being kind) selection of an average 28-year-old QB in the first round, it was also being completely bamboozled into giving up a 4th, 5th and 7th round pick to move from No. 4 to No. 3 in order to draft Richardson. Those are valuable pieces that were basically just given away when Minnesota had no intention of taking Richardson or trading the pick.

Those guys did a very nice job of building up our defense, especially the run defense, and that has paid dividends for the franchise (hopefully longterm). But, from the very questionable strategy of taking a RB that high (which I pointed out at the time), to being swindled out of three picks by Minnesota, to drafting Weeden in the first round (one of the worst decisions in draft history)...

That might go down as one of the worst first rounds a team has ever had. And, it squandered a lot of the goodwill that regime had with previous good drafts. I think Holmgren/Heckert panicked a little bit and they felt like they were gone anyways unless they had a huge season in 2012, so they just completely swung for the fences with no thought to the future of the franchise.

And, as far as I'm concerned, Holmgren needs to keep his fat mouth shut. He took a lot of money from this franchise and the reports around Berea were not good... He was the last one in the door, the first one to leave and he put in very little effort. That was the word around town.

The hiring of Shurmur was a disaster and it seemed like a "gold old boy" system. Pat was represented by the same agent as Holmgren and Shurmur's dad and Mike went way back. And, Shurmur was beyond awful as a head coach.

Holmgren's years in Cleveland were not a good look.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 09-20-2013 at 08:03 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #73
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Da KO King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: twitter.com/RandomHoopsMike
Posts: 7,544
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

I always felt Richardson was overrated so I think the move will pay off
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #74
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona
 
Hoodlum Science's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ℑoshua ζives
Posts: 752
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Browns also just announced that Hoyer, the 3rd string QB, will be the starter


they are tanking the season on purpose...going for the #1 overall and giving up on Weeden...another 1st round pick

unreal...

I would be pissed if I was a Brown's fan...Weeden and Richardson aren't going to be All Pros right away...you have to give these guys a few years to develop...not just give up on them right after their rookie year

the Browns just got done rebuilding...and now they are going to rebuild AGAIN

Weeden is/was already way past his potential based on age along. Richardson is/was obviously on his way to being one of the premier backs in the league. Moronic trade by Cleveland - absolute steal by Indy. Considering Indy's 1st round pick will be somewhere around 14-18th, getting that for Richardson is just robbery.

What the hell is Cleveland thinking?
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #75
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Da KO King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: twitter.com/RandomHoopsMike
Posts: 7,544
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
Weeden is/was already way past his potential based on age along. Richardson is/was obviously on his way to being one of the premier backs in the league. Moronic trade by Cleveland - absolute steal by Indy. Considering Indy's 1st round pick will be somewhere around 14-18th, getting that for Richardson is just robbery.

What the hell is Cleveland thinking?
That Richardson is injury prone, overrated, and isn't going to be a feature back in the NFL.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy