Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default Why are people so down on reality shows?

I watch reality shows like AGT, X-Factor, American Idol......
They seem to get alot of unjust criticism. It's just like regular drama. For every good program like GoT, Walking Dead...... there are dozens of terrible programs.
There are moments in reality TV that evoke more emotion than I ever felt compared to regular TV programs. Last night I got choked up seeing a guy with major turrets get a break and sing on X-Factor. Such a great TV moment. It ranks up there with seeing (Walking Dead spoiler)Lori die.
What are your thoughts on Reality/singing competition?
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Why are people so down on reality shows?

people watch too much tv in general
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I watch reality shows like AGT, X-Factor, American Idol......
They seem to get alot of unjust criticism. It's just like regular drama. For every good program like GoT, Walking Dead...... there are dozens of terrible programs.
There are moments in reality TV that evoke more emotion than I ever felt compared to regular TV programs. Last night I got choked up seeing a guy with major turrets get a break and sing on X-Factor. Such a great TV moment. It ranks up there with seeing (Walking Dead spoiler)Lori die.
What are your thoughts on Reality/singing competition?

They get a lot of hate because so many times what you are watching is fake, when it is supposed to be reality.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Also, much of them are the same thing over and over. Every season of The Biggest Loser for example (actually one of my fav reality shows because of the emotion) is the same thing season after season.

Also, potentially the biggest issues I have with reality shows, is the people they select. Most reality shows are filled with non-talented people (douche-bags typically) hoping to be celebrities.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
chips93
Very good NBA starter

i love survivor, thats about it though
chips93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Reality shows are about all I watch. amazing race, pawn stars, counts customs, top chef, iron chef, the next iron chef, all star seasons of survivor.

I even liked that show the mole.

I watch, game of thrones, big bang theory, criminal minds, and that's it.

I watch nba games and inside the nba and nfl related stuff as well.

I listen to the first take podcast when working out and driving. and try to watch pti when possible.

Edit: forgot about shark tank.

Last edited by MavsSuperFan : 09-19-2013 at 03:08 PM.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Agreed.

And, I'm not one to begrudge somebody for getting famous off of a reality show either. So many reality personalities have come and gone, thus if one sticks around and continues to have success like the Kardashian's it was meant to be for whatever reason.

'American Ninja Warrior' can get surprisingly emotional for me. I was almost crying tears of joy at this past finale. Seeing someone strive so hard for a physically grueling endeavor and accomplish what they set out to do can be quite moving. And, seeing how disappointed some of them can be when they fall short gets to me as well.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

1. They suck.
2. They put real writers, set builders, etc. out of work.
3. They aren't real.
4. They're mind meltingly stupid and repetitive.
5. It promotes fame-whoring, and the idea of 'celebrity'.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Bum
people watch too much tv in general

Yeah man, too much TV, conspiracy theories, you tell us. Go change the world and uncover the truths. Oh wait, you're spending your time on a basketball message board.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

not my cup of tea. I don't care to bash them because I simply don't care to watch them. Best revenge for a TV show imo

I think stuff like TMZ is putting a lot of ppl's lives at risk. Yes they are celebrities (some of them) but there should be a time and a place to film these folks. And I really don't care that Suri Cruz bought an ice cream cone and dropped it on the floor before she could eat it. But tons of folks do care I guess. I'm not the type to ask for an autograph on a napkin Will Smith just wiped his mouth with so my mindset is different than those types. Some fans are REALLY crazy. I can appreciate someone's work and not have the urge to bombard them with shit

But I do watch Counting Cars, Chasing Classic Cars and Fast N Loud, but thats more for the cars than the ppl on the shows.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
B-Low
The Love B-Low

I don't consider shows like American Ninja Warrior, America's Got Talent etc reality shows, they're just competition shows and those are perfectly fine (even though American Idol needs to just stop...it's become a parody of itself)

But America's Got Talent really is a great show. The Japanese guy that won last night is really, really incredible and his performances were some of the most creative and unique things I've ever seen in show business. That's what I like about AGT is that it gives people with random/unique skills like that a place to shine, where they wouldn't have any real chance to get noticed without them. Same with Ninja Warrior.

But reality shows like Kardashians, Real Housewives of _____, Love and Hip Hop and all those though, those are some of the fakest, most overdramatic shows I've ever seen. Pro wrestling looks like PBS quality programming compared to them
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
I don't consider shows like American Ninja Warrior, America's Got Talent etc reality shows, they're just competition shows and those are perfectly fine (even though American Idol needs to just stop...it's become a parody of itself)

But America's Got Talent really is a great show. The Japanese guy that won last night is really, really incredible and his performances were some of the most creative and unique things I've ever seen in show business. That's what I like about AGT is that it gives people with random/unique skills like that a place to shine, where they wouldn't have any real chance to get noticed without them. Same with Ninja Warrior.

But reality shows like Kardashians, Real Housewives of _____, Love and Hip Hop and all those though, those are some of the fakest, most overdramatic shows I've ever seen. Pro wrestling looks like PBS quality programming compared to them

This basically.

Competition shows Imo at least showcase talent of sorts. Yeah, some situations are edited and at times contrived to make the show more interesting (Top Chef for one) but their actual skills/talent cannot be faked.

I used to watch American Idol all the time as well, I just like competition and shows about talent. Yes I understand that there's some rigging happening in American Idol and other compeition shows.
andgar923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I...just cant do it. Reality tv and gameshows damn near killed network tv to me.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

I like Ink Master...if that counts...throw a bunch of tattoo artists together and make them compete...some cool artwork comes out of it

American Idol? yuck...no thanks...I really don't give a shit who the next Clay Aiken will be

there is some kind of reality show currently being filmed here in Dallas staring 3 girls...forget what it is called but from what has leaked by others who were at some of the filmings it is all 100% staged. The have fake parties with fake fights and fake drama and then on top of that they dressed some of the people up with cowboy hats and make them talk with a fake 'Texas twang'...it is very much like WWF Wrestling
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
1. They suck.
2. They put real writers, set builders, etc. out of work.
3. They aren't real.
4. They're mind meltingly stupid and repetitive.
5. It promotes fame-whoring, and the idea of 'celebrity'.
Absolutely right.

It is like cancer that is killing TV in general.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: