Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,983
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: angels and demons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
Your mindset is stuck in the common mentality of thinking of God as being nothing more than the magical man/face long bearded figure in the sky like some fairy tale and nothing more. This blows my mind.

You argue evidence, I argue faith. You argue tangible, I argue intangible. Lack of evidence doesn't prove there is no God. That's something you'll just have to accept. You'll have to accept it today, tomorrow and for the rest of your life.

I never pretended there's any concrete scientific evidence that proves the existence of God. Just like there's zero evidence He doesn't exist. It's supposed to be that way. It's a riddle that keeps man wondering... imagining, believing or not believing. If you don't believe, I don't blame or find fault in you or anyone who doesn't; I was once in that position too. I understand why one wouldn't believe; but what I don't understand is why some folks entirely 100% discredit there being the slightest chance of the-re being a God or ultimate creator. That to me is entirely silly.

Comparing angles/demons on the same plane as God is silly.

Quote:
Lack of evidence doesn't prove there is no God.
God and religion are about the only thing where people apply this type of logic. Everything else needs to be proven before it exists, but somehow god needs to be disproven.

If someone came on ISH and claimed to be Bill Gates would you believe them until it was conclusively proven they weren't Bill Gates? Of course not, you would laugh at them until the offered at least some evidence they were bill gates.

Quote:
You argue evidence, I argue faith.

As long as you acknowledge that, we totally agree. its when religious people start arguing that it is obvious that god exists that makes people like me row our eyes. Nothing that is obvious needs faith for it to be believed. Eg. you don't need faith to believe that usain bolt runs fast.

Quote:
I don't understand is why some folks entirely 100% discredit there being the slightest chance of the-re being a God or ultimate creator. That to me is entirely silly.

The atheist position on this is very simple. If jesus ever rises and battles the forces of lucifer during the apocalypse we will concede we got this one wrong.

Seriously, though its not that it is impossible, its that there is no evidence that he exists. How do we know dragon ball z didnt get it right and the world was made and guarded by the supreme kai? How do we know that halo didnt get right and we are devolved forerunners?


off topic a little here, but I am always curious about christians ( I am going to assume you are a christian, probably a protestant of some sort, probably baptist or lutheran.)

Do you have premarital sex?
Do you eat shellfish?
Do you wear clothing of different fabrics?
Do you give 10% of your income to the church?
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona
 
Hoodlum Science's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ℑoshua ζives
Posts: 752
Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: angels and demons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Isnt kind of arrogant to suppose that God created this planet (and by extension the whole universe) just for man?

everything else in the universe is basically just a part of our playground?

If you look into a telescope and consider the vast depth space and the infinite number of stars, planets, and galaxies in the sky, isnt it hard to believe that we are the center of this massive creation? We aren't even located at the center of our own galaxy..

We aren't the center, God is.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona
 
Hoodlum Science's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ℑoshua ζives
Posts: 752
Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: angels and demons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
God and religion are about the only thing where people apply this type of logic. Everything else needs to be proven before it exists, but somehow god needs to be disproven.

If someone came on ISH and claimed to be Bill Gates would you believe them until it was conclusively proven they weren't Bill Gates? Of course not, you would laugh at them until the offered at least some evidence they were bill gates.



As long as you acknowledge that, we totally agree. its when religious people start arguing that it is obvious that god exists that makes people like me row our eyes. Nothing that is obvious needs faith for it to be believed. Eg. you don't need faith to believe that usain bolt runs fast.



The atheist position on this is very simple. If jesus ever rises and battles the forces of lucifer during the apocalypse we will concede we got this one wrong.

Seriously, though its not that it is impossible, its that there is no evidence that he exists. How do we know dragon ball z didnt get it right and the world was made and guarded by the supreme kai? How do we know that halo didnt get right and we are devolved forerunners?


off topic a little here, but I am always curious about christians ( I am going to assume you are a christian, probably a protestant of some sort, probably baptist or lutheran.)

Do you have premarital sex?
Do you eat shellfish?
Do you wear clothing of different fabrics?
Do you give 10% of your income to the church?

You're comparing Bill Gates to God. I can't proceed any further. (joke)
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,983
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: angels and demons...

The Erosion of Progress by Religions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w

One of my favorite videos by a hero of mine.

Basically all religion is a set of ever diminishing deficiencies in our collective understanding of the universe.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,983
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: angels and demons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
You're comparing Bill Gates to God. I can't proceed any further. (joke)

No I am saying that your assertion that the inability to disprove something proves its existence, is ridiculous.

But you're right it is a horrible comparison. There is irrefutable evidence that Bill Gates exists.

Edit: you got me lol
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch
 
Killbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bombing Organisms Timelessly
Posts: 19,005
Killbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: angels and demons...

Angels? No such thing.

Demons? Yes.

Source:


Ignore the hero and the zombies.
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #22
Fresh Kid
Banned
 
Fresh Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: long island, NY
Posts: 5,517
Fresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: angels and demons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
That's where we differ. I see us just an unimportant in the scheme of things as the racoons and every other animal, insect, or single celled bacterium.

We just don't know man, we just don't know... us, as humans, are WAY in over our heads trying to comprehend this shit.
but no matter what you say or conclusions you come up with you cant deny tha fact that somebody had to make all of us.
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #23
Fresh Kid
Banned
 
Fresh Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: long island, NY
Posts: 5,517
Fresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: angels and demons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
You're comparing Bill Gates to God. I can't proceed any further. (joke)
ether.
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #24
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,983
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: angels and demons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
but no matter what you say or conclusions you come up with you cant deny tha fact that somebody had to make all of us.
Not really. we are the result of an evolutionary path. Certain adaptations made some of our ancestors more likely to survive/breed (Breeding is only possible with survival). these adaptations resulted in us. For humans it primarily relates to an increase in brain size and secondarily relates to bipedal walking (which is more energy efficient allowing our bodies to allocate more energy to brain function).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
ether.
not really, tbh I stand by the claim that there is conclusive, irrefutable evidence bill gates exists, and the existence of god is entirely premised on faith.

I was just referring to the white text.

Last edited by MavsSuperFan : 10-02-2013 at 08:53 AM.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy