Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
WindmiLL
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Amazing Kobe Bryant footwork & shot selection montage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
To paraphrase Tex Winter when asked about Kobe's shot selection

They're not bad shots for Kobe because he practices them

That's a stupid quote.

It's like saying halfcourt or fullcourt shots are not bad for Lebron because he practices them.
WindmiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #33
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Well if we are gonna start listing Tex quotes.....it could go all over the place.

I loved tex. Just spoke his mind.

I loved Tex too. The NBA misses him dearly, I'm so glad to have been a fan of the sport during his time in the league.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #34
hitman24
I usually hit open layups

kobe missed game winners - 2min video
kobe made game winners - 20min video

game.set.match.
hitman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #35
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman24
kobe missed game winners - 2min video
kobe made game winners - 20min video

game.set.match.

If someone actually made them...the missed video would be longer. I know hes missed a lot more than hes made. But most people have.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #36
Eric Cartman
Banned

Kobe fans are very self conscious, which is ironic because Kobe doesn't give a **** about any of the things that his fans care about.
Eric Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #37
kennethgriffin
NBA Legend

you could make a video like this of lebron too.. or most guys who take allot of game winning/tie attempts throughout their career

if a guy shoots 45-50% ... ( which most of those guys do ) then theyre nearly assured to miss half their attempts in their career

and considering the desperation aspect of it and type of shot with increased defensive pressure. the looks are much worse and the percentages should go down

even jordan said in a commercial that he missed like 25 game winners in his life... he made about that many or a few more.. so who gives a crap

useless video lol

/fail thread
kennethgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #38
6 for 24
self-proclaimed Mamba

Friends of ISH,

I did not expect this to be such a controversial topic! But-- and I say this with the utmost respect for my peers-- I feel that many of you are missing the point. The video surely shows various clutch plays by Kobe-- jumpers, drives, assists, etc-- but I did not intend for that to be the focus. Instead, I wanted you all to focus on the footwork and shot creation ability of our living legend.

Kobe is a superior shooter, making over 40% of his takes. So, let's say he takes 10 shots and makes 4 of them. That's 8 points right there! And when you factor in free throws, threes, etc, we can call it an even 10. So if the Lakers need 100 points to win the contest, then the solution is for Kobe to hoist 100 shots. It's just a numbers game.

But ah, if only if it were that simple. Even a player as great as Kobe cannot possibly put up 100 shots in a game. He has to "settle" for only about 40-50, which is still three or four times as good as anyone else. The purpose of my video is to show WHY Kobe is able to put up so many shots-- through his combination of impeccable footwork, shot creation under great duress, and the great leadership to call off his lesser mates and put the pressure on himself. This is the mark of a true champion. I hope that has clarified my stance.

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye
6 for 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #39
branslowski
5/7=71%>>3/8=37%

Quote:
Dozens of people were great at making tough shots. But many(including all 3 you listed) were never gonna take the shots Kobe does. Not of the kind in question. They made absurd catch and shoot shots...and Hornacek for one made crazy layups around the basket look easy. But im talking the one on one create a shot out of nothing shots. Dan Majerle could wet a 30 footer and nobody was surprised. But hes not gonna:

on any kind of regular basis.

Kobes patience, focus, balance and footwork are all immaculate. At times I think he sees too much hate from some because he doesnt shoot well....on shots nobody shoots well.

It does at times come down to poor shot selection but he didnt score 30 something thousand points by not making shots.

I think years of highlights and stat reading have left fans with the idea that making contested midrange jumpers is easier than it is.

Everyone shoots like shit on those shots. A guy like Jordan who at his peak could get 8 layups a night and 2 dunks shoots 48-53% because of them not because hes wetting a high percentage of his turnaround jumpers and pullup 19 footers.

Nobody...and I mean nobody...is gonna make half of their 15+ foot jumpers vs a set defense. If they could they would shoot 60% because they are gonna make 75-90% of their easy layups, dunks, and uncontested jumpers.

Even guys like Wilt who might get 27 rebounds a game 10 on offense and dunk in 8 of them and get 6-7 more easy layups end up shooting about 50% when they are bigtime scorers because you just dont make that many fadeaways.

Now...guys like Jordan, Bird, King, and Dantley...given one on one coverage...10-15 feet...they can work themselves into a shot they can make like 70% of the time. But teams wont just watch them do it(well...they watched Dantley do it). Not that often at least.

You have to contend with doubles, teammates who make shitty entry passes or passes a second late, guys who dont know when to move off the ball to free you up to operate or force a rotation.

Kobe has played with some straight up idiots man. I love Larry Bird and I would take him over Kobe for the record....

But the difference betweem some of Kobes points and a Dennis Johnson....some of Kobes bigmen and a Parish/Mchale...Kobes 2s and a Danny Ainge? Gasol is sefless much of the time. Bynum was an idiot. Shaq played for Shaq and would give you the scraps(he was a great passer...but he wanted the ball first...not that he didnt deserve it).

The Celtics worked to make it easier on Bird. Even Mchale who I believe didnt have the best relationship with him. Dennis Johnson got Bird so many easy looks...Mchale wouldnt let anyone help off him to bother Larry because hes cutting to the basket the second you turn your head....Parish would not get the ball 7-8 plays in a row just keeping his man where Larry could see him. These are HOF talent being selfless playing to the strength of their best player.

Kobe has had that luxury less often. Possibly because hes a dick but whatever the reason...Kobe is fighting teammates as much as working with them. The number of times ive seen Ron Artest fail to even attempt to move his man away from Kobe on the block is disgusting. Or guys like Smush Parker see Kobe come off a screen ready to shoot nd give him that extra long look before passing thats the difference between easy shots and having to faceup and make something happen?

Far too often these days guys see Kobes shooting percentage and hate as if his skill or even...intelligence is the reason.

Kobe is probably as skilled a scorer as has ever been or ever will be. And hes smarter than a fadeaway 20 footer might make one assume if he didnt know why Kobe decided to take it.

What he does not have is the physical tools to make him need to rely on those skills less. Bird is 6'9''. That special tweener size that makes him too big for a 3 and too quick for a 4.

Jordan was Isiah Thomas quick at 6'6'' and could jump over anyone one footed, two footed, coming off a jump stop, or on the move...he also had Dr.J hands that gave him control Kobe never had.

Kobe...is a great athlete but hes not that kind of fast that makes man to man defense irrelevant. Hes strong but hes not the kind of strong that makes Lebron at 270 just drive through guys like they arent there.

And hes got good size but hes not big enough to be a physical mismatch on most wings.

Kobe has all time elite skills and only an above average body to work with. And hes not in the 80s where a team will run off made baskets to get a quick shot or have a center who cant shoot go to the 3 point line because illegal defense rules force his man to go with him.

A lot of things make Kobes life harder than a number of other greats.

And these things make him miss more shots because they force him to fall back on shots NOBODY makes that often more than a lot of the people hes compared to.

Hes not 6'11'' with a 7'5'' wingspan like Durant, hes not 6'8'' 270 with guard athletic ability like Lebron, hes not damn near 6'10'' playing outside forcing guards to check him who cant deal with him in the post or playing inside then stepping out to leave 4s on an island like Bird, and hes not Derrick Rose quick, Melo strong, with Vince carter hops, and Connie Hawkins hands like Jordan.

Now...all those things count which is why if you wanna argue hes not better than some of them you can.

But it does help explain his at times head scratching shot selection.

Comes right down to it...Kobe taking a fadeaway with 4 inches of space is more likely to go in than most of his teammates taking one with 4 feet. Its changed him over 15 years into a guy who kinda forgets those teammates are there.

But for the most part he does the right thing. He does have some pretty good result to show for it....

Greatest most unbiased post of All Time.

Thread and post bookmarked.
branslowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
SwayDizzle
Good college starter

wow what a post
SwayDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #41
pauk
NBA Legend

lol, you fooled me almost, your name/avatar kindof gave away what was coming.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
funnystuff
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
lol, you fooled me almost, your name/avatar kindof gave away what was coming.
My thoughts exactly.

Damn, Ken with the bold, usually means anger.
funnystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #43
kNicKz
College superstar

How soon they forget...
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #44
Doranku
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 for 24
Friends of ISH,

I did not expect this to be such a controversial topic! But-- and I say this with the utmost respect for my peers-- I feel that many of you are missing the point. The video surely shows various clutch plays by Kobe-- jumpers, drives, assists, etc-- but I did not intend for that to be the focus. Instead, I wanted you all to focus on the footwork and shot creation ability of our living legend.

Kobe is a superior shooter, making over 40% of his takes. So, let's say he takes 10 shots and makes 4 of them. That's 8 points right there! And when you factor in free throws, threes, etc, we can call it an even 10. So if the Lakers need 100 points to win the contest, then the solution is for Kobe to hoist 100 shots. It's just a numbers game.

But ah, if only if it were that simple. Even a player as great as Kobe cannot possibly put up 100 shots in a game. He has to "settle" for only about 40-50, which is still three or four times as good as anyone else. The purpose of my video is to show WHY Kobe is able to put up so many shots-- through his combination of impeccable footwork, shot creation under great duress, and the great leadership to call off his lesser mates and put the pressure on himself. This is the mark of a true champion. I hope that has clarified my stance.

Warmest regards,

Ayotunde Ndiaye

Reading these posts actually make me cringe. Sooooooooooooo awkward.
Doranku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #45
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Dozens of people were great at making tough shots. But many(including all 3 you listed) were never gonna take the shots Kobe does. Not of the kind in question. They made absurd catch and shoot shots...and Hornacek for one made crazy layups around the basket look easy. But im talking the one on one create a shot out of nothing shots. Dan Majerle could wet a 30 footer and nobody was surprised. But hes not gonna:

on any kind of regular basis.

Kobes patience, focus, balance and footwork are all immaculate. At times I think he sees too much hate from some because he doesnt shoot well....on shots nobody shoots well.

It does at times come down to poor shot selection but he didnt score 30 something thousand points by not making shots.

I think years of highlights and stat reading have left fans with the idea that making contested midrange jumpers is easier than it is.

Everyone shoots like shit on those shots. A guy like Jordan who at his peak could get 8 layups a night and 2 dunks shoots 48-53% because of them not because hes wetting a high percentage of his turnaround jumpers and pullup 19 footers.

Nobody...and I mean nobody...is gonna make half of their 15+ foot jumpers vs a set defense. If they could they would shoot 60% because they are gonna make 75-90% of their easy layups, dunks, and uncontested jumpers.

Even guys like Wilt who might get 27 rebounds a game 10 on offense and dunk in 8 of them and get 6-7 more easy layups end up shooting about 50% when they are bigtime scorers because you just dont make that many fadeaways.

Now...guys like Jordan, Bird, King, and Dantley...given one on one coverage...10-15 feet...they can work themselves into a shot they can make like 70% of the time. But teams wont just watch them do it(well...they watched Dantley do it). Not that often at least.

You have to contend with doubles, teammates who make shitty entry passes or passes a second late, guys who dont know when to move off the ball to free you up to operate or force a rotation.

Kobe has played with some straight up idiots man. I love Larry Bird and I would take him over Kobe for the record....

But the difference betweem some of Kobes points and a Dennis Johnson....some of Kobes bigmen and a Parish/Mchale...Kobes 2s and a Danny Ainge? Gasol is sefless much of the time. Bynum was an idiot. Shaq played for Shaq and would give you the scraps(he was a great passer...but he wanted the ball first...not that he didnt deserve it).

The Celtics worked to make it easier on Bird. Even Mchale who I believe didnt have the best relationship with him. Dennis Johnson got Bird so many easy looks...Mchale wouldnt let anyone help off him to bother Larry because hes cutting to the basket the second you turn your head....Parish would not get the ball 7-8 plays in a row just keeping his man where Larry could see him. These are HOF talent being selfless playing to the strength of their best player.

Kobe has had that luxury less often. Possibly because hes a dick but whatever the reason...Kobe is fighting teammates as much as working with them. The number of times ive seen Ron Artest fail to even attempt to move his man away from Kobe on the block is disgusting. Or guys like Smush Parker see Kobe come off a screen ready to shoot nd give him that extra long look before passing thats the difference between easy shots and having to faceup and make something happen?

Far too often these days guys see Kobes shooting percentage and hate as if his skill or even...intelligence is the reason.

Kobe is probably as skilled a scorer as has ever been or ever will be. And hes smarter than a fadeaway 20 footer might make one assume if he didnt know why Kobe decided to take it.

What he does not have is the physical tools to make him need to rely on those skills less. Bird is 6'9''. That special tweener size that makes him too big for a 3 and too quick for a 4.

Jordan was Isiah Thomas quick at 6'6'' and could jump over anyone one footed, two footed, coming off a jump stop, or on the move...he also had Dr.J hands that gave him control Kobe never had.

Kobe...is a great athlete but hes not that kind of fast that makes man to man defense irrelevant. Hes strong but hes not the kind of strong that makes Lebron at 270 just drive through guys like they arent there.

And hes got good size but hes not big enough to be a physical mismatch on most wings.

Kobe has all time elite skills and only an above average body to work with. And hes not in the 80s where a team will run off made baskets to get a quick shot or have a center who cant shoot go to the 3 point line because illegal defense rules force his man to go with him.

A lot of things make Kobes life harder than a number of other greats.

And these things make him miss more shots because they force him to fall back on shots NOBODY makes that often more than a lot of the people hes compared to.

Hes not 6'11'' with a 7'5'' wingspan like Durant, hes not 6'8'' 270 with guard athletic ability like Lebron, hes not damn near 6'10'' playing outside forcing guards to check him who cant deal with him in the post or playing inside then stepping out to leave 4s on an island like Bird, and hes not Derrick Rose quick, Melo strong, with Vince carter hops, and Connie Hawkins hands like Jordan.

Now...all those things count which is why if you wanna argue hes not better than some of them you can.

But it does help explain his at times head scratching shot selection.

Comes right down to it...Kobe taking a fadeaway with 4 inches of space is more likely to go in than most of his teammates taking one with 4 feet. Its changed him over 15 years into a guy who kinda forgets those teammates are there.

But for the most part he does the right thing. He does have some pretty good result to show for it....

Didn't read, don't care to.

Kobe appears to make the most bad shots simply because he takes the most… it's that simple.

Let us pretend series in which he would take 6 bad shots and make 1, yet people will remember that ONE bad shot. Next game he'd get hot and make 3 out of 6 bad shots, but then continue to stink it up. People remember the makes, just like they forget about his misses in the clutch. But OMG he makes one game winner and "Kobe Bryant the best closer in the game!!!"

Quote:
Comes right down to it...Kobe taking a fadeaway with 4 inches of space is more likely to go in than most of his teammates taking one with 4 feet. .

That's just plain f*ckin stupid.

I doubt you honestly believe that.

Kobe is simply THE worst decision maker out of the top 25 (possibly top 50), by a good margin at that. Bad decision maker, perhaps even the biggest chucker (didn't watch Gervin and others… but I doubt they're worse chuckers).
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: