Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA rookie of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here
Default Any bartenders? Or drunks... (speech help)

I have to give a demonstration speech and couldn't think of shit. So I was watching a Mad Men rerun and saw Draper making an Old Fashioned for Conrad Hilton. The episode with the racist black face sketch. Anyway, it all connected for me (the intro, conclusion, visual aids) instantly and now I just need the body.

Cards on the table: I rarely, if ever, drink and I have no clue what an Old Fashioned is consisted of or taste like. So I watched all the YouTube videos and think I got the recipe down. Sugar cube+very little water/club soda or 2:1 simple syrup, Angostura bitters, bourbon or rye whiskey, lemon and/or orange peel, and large ice cubes. Basically combine and stir. Simple enough.

What I'm trying to figure out is how you would separate that into, ideally, three separate bodies if you were giving this speech? Maybe four would be okay, probably not two or five+. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. In fact, I don't want it to be. Simpler, the better. I can BS well, but not so much when I have a large group of people staring at me and I don't know much about the topic. About 1 1/2 minutes per body if separated into three of them. Little over a minute if four bodies. So it doesn't need to be, and probably can't, be extensive.

What I initially thought was 1 paragraph about the ingredients. Where to get them, briefly explaining cube or syrup and bourbon or rye (which I don't know the difference yet), and whatever. I can stretch that if needed. And then the 2nd on making the drink. Then, yeah, drawing a blank... Any way to separate the creation of the drink into two paragraphs? Or any ideas to break one of those into another paragraph or add something new entirely? I don't know. Remember, it doesn't need to be very detailed, but I need to be able to talk about the third paragraph for probably a minute and a half.

Help, please.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Any bartenders? Or drunks... (speech help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
I have to give a demonstration speech and couldn't think of shit. So I was watching a Mad Men rerun and saw Draper making an Old Fashioned for Conrad Hilton. The episode with the racist black face sketch. Anyway, it all connected for me (the intro, conclusion, visual aids) instantly and now I just need the body.

Cards on the table: I rarely, if ever, drink and I have no clue what an Old Fashioned is consisted of or taste like. So I watched all the YouTube videos and think I got the recipe down. Sugar cube+very little water/club soda or 2:1 simple syrup, Angostura bitters, bourbon or rye whiskey, lemon and/or orange peel, and large ice cubes. Basically combine and stir. Simple enough.

What I'm trying to figure out is how you would separate that into, ideally, three separate bodies if you were giving this speech? Maybe four would be okay, probably not two or five+. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. In fact, I don't want it to be. Simpler, the better. I can BS well, but not so much when I have a large group of people staring at me and I don't know much about the topic. About 1 1/2 minutes per body if separated into three of them. Little over a minute if four bodies. So it doesn't need to be, and probably can't, be extensive.

What I initially thought was 1 paragraph about the ingredients. Where to get them, briefly explaining cube or syrup and bourbon or rye (which I don't know the difference yet), and whatever. I can stretch that if needed. And then the 2nd on making the drink. Then, yeah, drawing a blank... Any way to separate the creation of the drink into two paragraphs? Or any ideas to break one of those into another paragraph or add something new entirely? I don't know. Remember, it doesn't need to be very detailed, but I need to be able to talk about the third paragraph for probably a minute and a half.

Help, please.

Bitters, a little sugar or simple syrup, splash of soda, cherry and orance slice. Muddle that shit. then put some ice in there. then you add your bourbon.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You can also talk a bit about the history of the drink: who invented it, where, cultural significance or appearances in TV/ movies, etc.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious

Help, please.
Here are the four key components to an old fashioned

Whiskey - The goods
simple syrup - The foundation
bitters - The highlights
fruit, generally citrus (I use the juice and the zest in the drink. Last sat I made some nectarine old fashioneds that were awesome). - The flair
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

Bitters, a little sugar or simple syrup, splash of soda, cherry and orance slice. Muddle that shit. then put some ice in there. then you add your bourbon.
****ing soda. What a waste
Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
****ing soda. What a waste

I only drink bourbon in the fall/winter. I'll start messing around with different shit.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:

I only drink bourbon in the fall/winter. I'll start messing around with different shit.
mostly just ****ing with you. But I like my bourbons how I like my women. Straight, neat, and fiery.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
mostly just ****ing with you. But I like my bourbons how I like my women. Straight, neat, and fiery.

I'm a gin guy but I feel weird drinking it when it's cold out. Do you have a favorite bourbon?

Also I prefer my women bi.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
I'm a gin guy but I feel weird drinking it when it's cold out. Do you have a favorite bourbon?

Also I prefer my women bi.
Fair enough. As for favorites, I tend to drink rye whiskeys and most of the really good ones are out of my price league. For bourbons, I keep a handle of evan williams around, and then various smaller bottles (Makers Mark, Eagle Rare, Ridgemont Reserve, 1792). Most of the mainstream mid-levels (Bullet, etc) are overpriced for what they are. The jim beam small batches (bakers, bookers) are all decent. I also like all of the wild turkey specialty labels.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Fair enough. As for favorites, I tend to drink rye whiskeys and most of the really good ones are out of my price league. For bourbons, I keep a handle of evan williams around, and then various smaller bottles (Makers Mark, Eagle Rare, Ridgemont Reserve, 1792). Most of the mainstream mid-levels (Bullet, etc) are overpriced for what they are. The jim beam small batches (bakers, bookers) are all decent. I also like all of the wild turkey specialty labels.

whiskey/bourbon is my drink of choice.

the better question for a whiskey person is what is your favorite cheap whiskey?

Mine is Rich & Rare.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
bigballer
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bigballer has decent reputation

why dont you separate the old fashioned into 4 senses- smell, touch, sight, and taste. Touch could cover the type of glass and using the back of your hand to feel for right temperature, and also the techique of stirring the bar spoon.
bigballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA rookie of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here

Yeah, I came across the cherry muddling part on some instruction videos. Most of them were what the YouTube people were calling the "original" or "old" old fashioned. No cherries and all you want are the oils from the lemon or orange peel. I'm going with that purely because it's easier to remember. I may change my mind if I find myself needing an extra minute or so.

That senses suggestion is interesting. I can't build the entire speech around that because I just don't know enough about the drink. I could probably uses parts of it as fillers, tho. I probably should try the drink once... and I likely won't.

History idea is what I was going to do until I was told that it shouldn't be part of the speech.

I'll figure this out. Anyone know the difference between rye and bourbon? Reading up and it appears rye is spicer and bourbon is a little sweeter?

Maybe I'll do a prepare part. Ingredients, preparation, and the making as the bodies. Kind of follow the process from the store to the glass. Large ice (read can use muffin pans), maybe go over how to get clear ice cubes, peeling of the orange, and making the syrup?

To be honest, I don't really think the content is all that important. As long as it's accurate (ahem, believable). Most of the grading is about the delivery and what not.

For someone who does drink this: rye or bourbon? orange, lemon, or orange and lemon peel? I think I'm going with the syrup if I do a preparation body.

Thanks guys.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: