Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 02-23-2007, 03:53 AM   #1
JMEWLS

Default Nets wanted, we didnt!

Quote:
Magic resist what the Nets wanted
The NBA trade deadline passes with Vince Carter staying in New Jersey and Orlando standing pat.

The Orlando Magic rejected a potential trade earlier this week to get New Jersey Nets all-star Vince Carter because they were unwilling to bundle a package of players that included Darko Milicic, Trevor Ariza and Hedo Turkoglu.

The Nets wanted all three in return for Carter, who is expected to opt out of his contract and become a free agent this summer.

The NBA trade deadline passed Thursday afternoon with no major deals around the league and the Magic staying with the same 15 players they had.

Dallas traded point guard Anthony Johnson to Atlanta, which acquired him for the third time in his well-traveled NBA career, in exchange for a 2007 second-round draft choice.

The Portland Trail Blazers sent Juan Dixon to Toronto in exchange for Fred Jones in a trade of backup point guards. And the Philadelphia 76ers traded Alan Henderson to Utah for the rights to exchange second-round draft picks.

None of the much-talked trade possibilities materialized Thursday. The Nets had talked to several teams about Carter, including the Los Angeles Clippers and the Magic.

"Yes, I talked to Rod [Thorn, Nets general manager] about that [Vince Carter trade]," Magic General Manager Otis Smith said Thursday. "I won't get into the particulars, but the price was too steep."

A source in the Eastern Conference with knowledge of the talks between the two teams, confirmed that the Nets were asking for Milicic, Ariza and Turkoglu.

Carter is making $15 million this season, and the salaries of the three Magic players would have allowed the deal to work under salary cap rules. Carter has expressed interest several times in returning to play in Florida.

He is expected to opt out of the final year of his contract -- paying him $16 million -- and become a free agent this summer. By trading for him now, the Magic could have re-signed him this summer without regard to salary cap constraints. As the Nets free agent next summer, the Magic would have to clear enough room to fit his new salary under the cap, which is unlikely to happen.

"We weren't going to give up the players they wanted," said Magic Coach Brian Hill. "If they were going to give him up, they wanted something back. They wanted players."

The Magic are overloaded with guards, and tried several places to find another frontcourt player or a small forward who could score. Nothing materialized because they weren't willing to part with their young core of Howard, Nelson, Ariza and Milicic.

"There just wasn't anything out there that could have helped us," Smith said. "I'm a believer in that you've got to let things marinate and grow together. I wasn't going to do a deal just so you had something to talk about. There was nothing out there that made sense for us."

Im happy this trade didnt go through, as i said earlier i dont think Vince Carter is our answer.

But what if this trade did go down, Would you have liked it? I think Darko and Ariza are just to much too be giving up, they're packed with potential. If Darko went, i would've been so disappointed he likes it so much in Orlando.

But what if this trade did go down, would you be for it or against it and why?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
det2orl
Good High School Starter

det2orl has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Nets wanted, we didnt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEWLS
Im happy this trade didnt go through, as i said earlier i dont think Vince Carter is our answer.

But what if this trade did go down, Would you have liked it? I think Darko and Ariza are just to much too be giving up, they're packed with potential. If Darko went, i would've been so disappointed he likes it so much in Orlando.

But what if this trade did go down, would you be for it or against it and why?

I would've hated this deal. Darko AND Ariza is too much for Vince. Especially when he can opt out at the end of the year after giving them up. He would've had to sign an extension as the deal went down. I still wouldn't want to give up those guys. I like them both a lot and think they will both be pretty good players for the Magic over the next few years.
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

Darko is a sack of s***, so he could be easily dealt. But Ariza has good defense and rebounding, plus he is much younger than Carter and is payed a lot less. Turgolu is a decent guard, NJ was asking for too much. But I suggest they trade away Darko for a few picks.
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
JMEWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsPackers
Darko is a sack of s***, so he could be easily dealt. But Ariza has good defense and rebounding, plus he is much younger than Carter and is payed a lot less. Turgolu is a decent guard, NJ was asking for too much. But I suggest they trade away Darko for a few picks.
Did you just say "Darko is a sack of S***? Obviously you dont watch Orlando basketball enough, he's been very good and he's going to keep getting better.

Why would we trade Darko for a few picks? He loves it in Orlando and he's not going anywhere!!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
dsparksd49353
Can barely lace up my sneakers

dsparksd49353 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Darko isnt a sack or s***, Turkoglu isnt a guard, and Ariza plays GREAT defense and also attacks the rim better than anybody on the team. Darko isnt going anywhere for picks or players. He will get his money this summer. Other than that your dead on man.
dsparksd49353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEWLS
Did you just say "Darko is a sack of S***? Obviously you dont watch Orlando basketball enough, he's been very good and he's going to keep getting better.

Why would we trade Darko for a few picks? He loves it in Orlando and he's not going anywhere!!

Co-Sign. Darko will only get better, like you said.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
MetsPackers
new based god

8.2 points and 5.2 rebounds . Just put the no-trade clause in his contract now!!! Darko sucks, he's barely getting better at all. He's a supreme bust who only gets a lot of attention because he did average when getting minutes last year. Until I see drastic signs of improvement, Darko is still the heap of s*** he's always been.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
JMEWLS

Quote:
8.2 points and 5.2 rebounds . Just put the no-trade clause in his contract now!!! Darko sucks, he's barely getting better at all. He's a supreme bust who only gets a lot of attention because he did average when getting minutes last year. Until I see drastic signs of improvement, Darko is still the heap of s*** he's always been.
Again, as most people think. Stats tell the whole story, well they dont.
He's still developing, and number dont show that he's a pretty decent defensive player and his work ethic is good.

Darko's been getting limited minutes, but in those minutes he's shown that he can be a pretty dominate player in this league. Only thing thats really battled the player is consistency, his very inconsistent.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
MetsPackers
new based god

He has been getting close to 30 minutes, so if he only gets 8/5 in that time he sucks. And he hardly has potential to be "dominant". Every single NBA player has a good work ethic, otherwise they wouldn't be in the league. Darko sucks, and he would not be a valuble piece for any franchise.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
JMEWLS

Quote:
He has been getting close to 30 minutes, so if he only gets 8/5 in that time he sucks. And he hardly has potential to be "dominant". Every single NBA player has a good work ethic, otherwise they wouldn't be in the league. Darko sucks, and he would not be a valuble piece for any franchise.
If he wasnt good or had no potential, why is it when teams wanna trade he's usually involved. It's because everyone knows the potential that he possesses, its obvious that he's going to be a great player. Does everyone see that but you?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: