Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #136
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Default Re: 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

Classic Biendrins. 1 rebound and 6 fouls.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #137
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Yeah hope he made them count!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #138
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jody Genessy: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson laughed when asked if it's hard to stay positive and optimistic during rough offensive times: "Not a chance."

Twitter @DJJazzyJody
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #139
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

The Utah Jazz continue to express interest in free agent Jamaal Tinsley, per sources. Trey Burke's injury opened the door for him to return.

Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA
Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #140
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Posted on October 23, 2013 by David Locke

EMPTYING THE NOGGIN

Jazz were +2 tonight with players that will be on the roster when the season starts.

But the Lakers suck too!

Quote:
In the first quarter the starters (Lucas, Jefferson, Hayward, Favors and Kanter) lead 11-7 in 6:00 of action. Strong they would have only allowed 14 points in the first quarter at that pace. Then in the 2nd quarter (Lucas, Jefferson,Hayward,Burks and Kanter or Favors) played for 3:00 minutes and were outscored 8-7. Then to start the third quarter the starters played 6:40 and were outscored 13-12. Again a pretty good though not great defensive stretch. Overall the group outscored the Lakers 30-26.

Favors is going to be the leading rebounder in the NBA or top 3 behind Dwight Howard and Love. But he is going to be in the elite rebounders in the NBA..
Per 36 minutes? He's going to have to prove he can stay on the floor first.

Quote:
My highlight of the night was two great passes from Favors to Burks.
Burks played a much more patient game tonight. However, every time he goes away from the pick he is breaking the offense and playing 1 on 1 with no outlet inside of the offense. These plays are very rarely developing into anything productive for the offense. According to Zach Lowe Burks goes away from the pick at a higher rate than any guard in the NBA.

Got to think he's improved on that since he was a rookie though.

Quote:
I have always admired the Jazz organization for giving every player that comes to camp a fair shot at showing their skills. If you come to camp and work the Jazz always give players an opportunity to play and show their skills to the entire league. Tonight the Jazz did the same, unfortunately for some of those players their flaws showed more brightly than their strengths.

Kanter needs to reassert himself on the glass.

Hayward did not make an outside shot tonight. He is not getting looks on the right side of the floor where he is most successful. No one else on the team can create and distribute. This is going to make it tough on Gordon to get looks he can bury.

See you tomorrow.

Posted in Emptying the Noggin
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #141
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jody Genessy: Former Laker Brian Cook after scoring 18 for Jazz: "I’m just trying to stay even-keeled right now and just show that I can still play at 32"

Twitter @DJJazzyJody

He might have made the team if not for injuries but I'm guessing that will cost him. Could look at him again down the line when they get some guys back I guess though.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #142
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Props!!!

Best fan ever right here!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #143
Random_Guy
I rep the Celtics

Good job keep it up man
Random_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #144
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57...guard.html.csp

Tinsley signed. Good to see, he might actually be able to keep the offense moving when he's in.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #145
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Wonder if it's guaranteed for the year? Machado looked pretty good today. Can't shoot.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #146
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
A guy who was momentarily left behind after shootaround in the morning started things off for the Jazz.

Good thing the bus returned a moment after it became evident the Jazz’s new $49 million man wasn’t on board.

Derrick Favors, who inked that contract extension this past weekend, had his strongest start of the preseason and his best overall game.

The 6-foot-10 big man elicited a loud “Ooooh!” from the Clipper crowd when he scored the Jazz’s first points on a strong stuff.

"If you get an easy basket like that," Favors said, "it kind of gets you going."

Favors then showed more of his improving offensive skills, hitting from inside and draining a jumper, for eight points in the first quarter as Utah jumped ahead 23-21.

Favors led the Jazz with a game-high 24 points and 17 rebounds. Along with playing like a man child down low, the 22-year-old also had his mid-range jumper going — a combination that will prove to be brutally hard for defenders to deal with if he can find consistency.

"It felt good to just break out of that slump that I was in," Favors said. "Just get into a rhythm, play may game, just finally see shots go in that I normally make."

He was impressive today. If he can ever do that on a consistent basis he will be everything he's been hyped to be.

Quote:
An hour after Clipper coach Doc Rivers proclaimed that he had a “man crush” on him, Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward gave more reasons for respectful opponents and Utah faithful to adore him.

Hayward had 19 points, six rebounds and six assists. His all-around strong night included an impressive third-quarter sequence in which he blocked J.J. Redick’s shot and then powered over the returned L.A. sharpshooter for a strong driving score.

The Jazz’s young centers also gave a sneak peek of what they can bring to the league in the future.

Backup big Rudy Gobert, who's been dealing with a nagging shoulder injury, had his breakout game of the preseason. The 7-foot-1 Frenchman swatted five shots, grabbing 12 rebounds and scoring four points.

He's still very raw but he was a big factor too. He and Clark led the 2nd(3rd?) unit in the 2nd quarter when they outplayed the Clippers. I think their bench will get killed this year. Last year it was their strength.

Quote:
Starter Enes Kanter added 13 points and six rebounds.

For much of the night, the young players showed why management brought them to Utah and offered another example of why Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin has remained positive about his core group during preseason struggles.

“I know what we have in our guys in Gordon and Derrick and Enes. We kind of have a feel for that,” Corbin said at the morning shootaround. “They have a feel for the role they’re going to play, and we have a feel for how they’re going to play. Now how do we put pieces and combinations around those guys? We still want to look at that.”

That and a handful of injuries to future rotation guys Trey Burke, Marvin Williams and Brandon Rush are why the Jazz continue to carry 19 players despite the preseason nearly being over.

Looks like Hudson and Machado are gone now and they've both had their moments.

Quote:
The young Jazz players showed they also have room to improve.

With the game on the line in the fourth, Favors committed fouls on both ends of the floor in a matter of seconds. He also had a costly turnover. Hayward and Kanter also had turnovers and fouls in that final stretch, which helped the Clippers pull away.

Nice they were in the game at the end getting that experience. Corbin went with the scrubs against the Lakers in a close game down the stretch. They will have a hard time closing games too.

Quote:
Utah finishes off the preseason in Anaheim, Calif., Friday against the Lakers.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #147
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Marvin Williams’ rehab process from offseason surgery on his Achilles tendon will take another step forward today.

Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin was vague about what exactly Williams will be doing, but the small forward enthusiastically claims to be progressing.

“I feel good,” he said. “I’m getting better every day.”

Which means he must have a date circled on his calendar for returning, right?

“No,” he said. “I would circle today if I could.”

Williams started to be bothered by his sore Achilles tendon toward the end of last January

Too bad he sucked before that or else he could use that as another excuse. Have already heard it was Al's fault he sucked which may have some validity but I'm certainly nor expecting much from him.

Quote:
, he told reporters at the Jazz’s shootaround Wednesday morning. He played through the nagging injury and hoped offseason rest would promote healing, but that didn’t happen, so he had surgery June 3 to repair the tendon.

At the time, the Jazz announced that he could be sidelined for about six months, which would put his possible return in the early December range.

In the meantime, the 27-year-old continues to work on conditioning and helping teammates as much as possible with helpful hints and support.

“It’s always tough to watch, especially when you’re kind of in the dog days of the season, training camp. You kind of want to suffer with your teammates,” Williams said.

Yeah right!

Quote:
“You want to be there for them. I try to get out there and do as much as I can, whether it’s non-contact or some of the conditioning stuff, just to let them know I’m still here trying to support them.”

Physically, Williams said the biggest thing missing from his post-surgery comeback is “getting explosive.” He’s still trying to recover the “big push” an athlete in his position needs to be competitive.

“I’m not very explosive right now,” Williams said. “The doctors told me when I got it (surgery) done that would probably be the last thing to kind of come back. I’m just working on it every day.”

Williams credited the training staff and Jazz player development coach Johnnie Bryant for helping him. Though he hasn’t been cleared to play basketball yet, Williams is able to do some court work. He said he’s doing “a lot of shooting, a lot of running, been doing some lifting as well.”

Looking back, Williams said the injury hampered his play “a great deal” in the second half of the 2012-13 season, the roughest of his eight-year career.

“It was very difficult to plant and cut and jump. I felt like I got to the league doing that,” he said. “When I couldn’t do that last season, it really affected my game. Hopefully, this year I got it taken care of and I’ll be back to normal.”

Williams, one of a handful of injured Jazz players, will continue to travel with the team until he’s back to full health.

“I will always be around,” he said, “if I can be around.”

Point guard Trey Burke is the only player who remained home in Utah during this three-game L.A. stay as he begins rehab from last Tuesday's surgery. Brandon Rush (knee), Jeremy Evans (rotator cuff) and Dominic McGuire (right ankle tendinitis) were also unavailable Wednesday.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody

Not helping McGuire's cause being hurt.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #148
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Both Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward received votes for players most likely to have a breakout season. Favors tied Indiana’s Paul George and Oklahoma City’s Reggie Jackson for third place with 6.9 percent of the votes. New Orleans big man Anthony Davis (27.6 percent) was the most popular pick for Mr. Breakout, while Detroit’s Andre Drummond garnered the second most votes.

Kanter and Burks are going to break out more I'd think.

Quote:
“Good for him,” Corbin said about Favors. “(But) as we talk to the guys all the time about, look, you can’t get caught up in all those expectations from everybody.”

That’s not an issue for Favors. The power forward, who signed a four-year, $49 million extension this past weekend, is honored, humble and hungry.

“I appreciate it,” he said when told about general managers expecting him to break out this season. “But I don’t really buy into all of that because I don’t want to add all that pressure to myself.”

Favors does believe he’s on the verge of making a much larger impact on the Jazz and NBA this season, though. Having experienced limited playing time behind Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson, the 6-foot-10 power forward brings career averages of 8.3 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.2 blocks into his fourth season.

“I’m ready for it,” the 22-year-old Favors said. “Obviously, I’m going to get a little bit more playing time and a little bit more opportunity. I’m prepared for it.”

“Big opportunity available for him,” Jazz small forward Gordon Hayward said. “I think he’s excited for that and ready for that challenge.”

Hayward was among 12 players to also receive votes for breakout player of the year.

Center Enes Kanter represented the Jazz in the international division of that breakout category, topped by Toronto’s Jonas Valanciunas (39.3 percent), Minnesota’s Ricky Rubio (17.9 percent) and Brooklyn’s Mirza Teletovic.

Favors was glad to see Hayward and Kanter get mentioned.

“I can see it because we all worked hard during the summer,” Favors said. “We’ve all got it in us to have a breakout year, so we’re excited.”

Hayward also received votes for being one of the best players in the NBA to move without the ball, a category won by Miami’s Ray Allen.

Corbin liked that compliment for Hayward.

“He watches the game. He knows where guys (are), where to get the ball and have an advantage to move against guys,” Corbin said. “He can move his body to come to the ball from the secondary side of the play and be able to attack from the backside. It’s huge because it sets up the plays on the weak side.”

Hayward knows he needs to be good away from the ball in order to get looks in the Jazz system.

“It’s a way that I’m able to get shots,” he said. “Moving without the ball is something that I need to be good at. Our offense is a lot of weak-side actions, cuts and movement. I need to take pride in that.”

Point guard Trey Burke, sidelined indefinitely after undergoing surgery on his broken right index finger last week, was the only other Jazz player to get votes.

Burke, the ninth pick of the 2013 draft, received the fourth-most votes for being the “biggest steal at where he was selected” in June. Boston’s Kelly Olynyk, the No. 13 selection, topped that list with 27.6 percent of the general manager votes.
Not sure what he has done to be a steal?

Quote:
Burke was not among the 12 NBA newcomers to receive votes for 2013 rookie of the year or rookie who will be the best player in five years. Orlando’s Victor Oladipo got the No. 1 nod in both lists.

General managers gave Jazz fans a tip of the hat, ranking Utah as having the fifth-best home-court advantage, tied with Chicago. Oklahoma City was the leading vote-getter in that category yet again.

Hopefully they can be competitive at home anyway.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #149
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
General manager Dennis Lindsey said Favors represents the future of post defenders.

"The way the NBA is going, the bigs have to be mobile enough to cover in pick and roll, but they have to be big enough to deny a spot and hopefully have enough length and lift to block a shot," Lindsey said. "Does that describe who we have? I think it does."

And where Favors’ offensive game struggles, Kanter seems willing to pick up the slack.

Kanter, by far the better offensive player at this juncture, is second on the team in scoring this preseason, averaging 12.6 points a night.

On one possession Sunday night in Oklahoma City, the 6-11 Turk faced the basket, dribbled into the post, pivoted and spun for a basket. On the next possession, he hit a running hook shot in the lane.

Corbin, meanwhile, says Kanter’s game should improve as he continues to work his way back from a shoulder surgery that cut his season short last year.

"He missed a good six months last year and this summer of being on the floor and being able to move around with guys," the coach said. "He’s working his way back to basketball shape."

There have been questions about which position each is best suited for, but Corbin sees Favors and Kanter interchangeable depending on the matchup.

"Right now, we’re moving both around and playing different opponents in different positions," he said. "Offensively, they’ll play both high and they’ll both play low, some."

Favors and Kanter played 706 minutes together on the floor last year. In that time, they showed signs of the defensive improvement Corbin and the Jazz hope to see this year. Favors and Kanter allowed 98.3 points per 100 possessions. Utah’s primary frontcourt of Millsap and Jefferson allowed 107.6.

With each game, Kanter said he and Favors are developing better chemistry.

"I’ve been playing with Derrick, this is going to be my third year," Kanter said. "I just feel real comfortable with him. I know he’s got my back and he knows I got his back."

But after Sunday’s 88-82 loss to the Thunder, Favors acknowledged there’s a ways yet to go.

"We’re still working," he said. "Still have a lot of stuff we have to work on."

Post pairs

Here’s how different Jazz frontcourts stacked up last season. The offensive rating shows points scored per 100 possessions. Defensive rating shows points allowed per 100 possessions.

Pairing Offensive rating Defensive rating Minutes played together

Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap 105.1 107.6 1,858

Al Jefferson and Derrick Favors 102.7 108.5 725

Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter 99.4 98.3 706

Paul Millsap and Enes Kanter 107.4 93.6 445

Derrick Favors and Paul Millsap 107.3 102.7 169

afalk@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribjazz

Looks like Millsap/Kanter would have been the way to go. Millsap in the top 3 offensive pairings. Jefferson's high offensive pair was 3rd along with the two worst defensive pairs. Pretty much says it all right there. They built the team around that guy!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #150
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

The Jazz are carrying 19 players right now but will have to cut that down to at least 15 before the end of the month. Cook made it all the way to Oct. 31 last year with the Wizards before being waived.

"I'm just trying to stay even keeled right now and show that I can still play at 32," he said.

It's a little unusual for the Jazz to still be carrying so many players at this point in the preseason. But the Jazz are dealing with injuries and are still working to figure out a young team.

Coach Ty Corbin said there are positions still up for grabs.

"As a player, if I'm still in a place I always think there's time to impress or hurt what I've built up," he said Wednesday morning at shootaround. "So guys have to stay focused on playing and playing effectively for us because we do have spots."

Cook, who had previously had a preseason high of 5 points, said the extra minutes he got Wednesday helped him find a rhythm and not worry about missing shots. He fired up nine 3-pointers, hitting three of them over 20 minutes last night.

The Jazz have used big men with range in the past and Cook sees a fit in Utah.

"This is a great offense for that," he said. "They runt he splits on the offensive end and we've got good guards that take a lot of attention away. … We'll have to see."

— Aaron Falk
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: