Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #166
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Xiao Yao You has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

Quote:
Hayward’s shot has been off so far this pre-season. He’s hitting just 35% of his two-point shots and even his free throw shooting has been off. He’s been given carte blanche and the result is some iffy shot selection.

What fans should be talking about: That said, I’m not too worried. The Jazz need somebody to be willing to shoot, and their offense won’t be helped by having Hayward start second-guessing himself. The shooting will normalize and he’ll be OK. What I’d like to see is better defensive adherence. Once again, he’s missing a lot, particularly in two areas: guarding the P&R handler and floating aimlessly in “no man’s land.” There are no Synergy numbers for preseason, so you’ll have to trust my eyes here: Hayward is still a bit of a defensive freestyler.

My free advice: Don’t worry about the shot; it’ll come back. Worry about establishing yourself as not just as a guy with good defensive tools but as a perimeter stopper.

He's started slow every year so that's not surprising especially since their putting him in a role he's not really suited for as the go to guy.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #167
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Burke struggled to hit the broad side of a barn in his brief 66 preseason minutes. There are some valid concerns here, both about the types of shots as well as what it says about his adjustment to NBA-level size and speed. But I’m focusing elsewhere, mostly because I think poor shooting is going to be par for the course for most young guys at his position.

What fans should be talking about: Playmaking. Burke has 2.5 shots for every assist, which isn’t too bad a number until you remember that he’s shooting 30%. If Burke wants to establish himself early, he’s pretty much going to have to do it by passing the ball at an elite level.

My free advice: Want to be ROY? The last 12 winners were either #1 or #2 in rookie points per game, and that’s unlikely given the composition of this team and the current shooting woes. If you want to wow the league, make it a priority to get on the assist leaderboard. Mark Jackson won ROY in ’88 despite being 3rd in rookie scoring because he dished a rookie record 868 dimes. Burke won’t break that record, but if he gets at least 500-600 and ekes out double figure scoring, he’ll be a ROY contender.

Is that his game though? I take it he's more of a scoring guard like most guys today.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #168
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
I’m not even sure where the Jefferson vitriol comes from, but it’s there. I think he’s playing fairly well within that role, especially his shooting and the rebounding help from the wing that he offers. It’s not like he’s hogging possessions away from the youngs, either: his FGA rate – one per 3.94 minutes – is behind only Andris Biedrins, who’s deathly afraid of the basketball on the offensive end.

What fans should be talking about: The worry with Jefferson is not how often he fouls, but rather the types of fouls he’s committing. He often ends a play with a foul even when the expected point value is fairly low (like fouling an off-balance driver at 20 feet when two good defenders are still behind you). He has the highest foul-to-block ratio on the team, which is a horribly short sighted stat but represents a quick way to gauge who fouls while protecting the basket and who fouls for the hell of it. Sometimes, Jefferson fouls for the hell of it.

My free advice: Trust the team defense enough to refrain from bailing out a guy who’s not in a position to score. Your starting unit includes a freakishly athletic DPOY contender, a great help guy in Hayward and Kanter who is a decent rim protector. Trust them.

I like what I've seen from him so far.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #169
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Rotations. Specifically, a growing faction of Jazz fans is convinced that every minute a veteran plays is a wasted opportunity. But here’s the hard truth: the vets will (and should) be a part of Corbin’s plan this season. I’m far more interested to see Coach Corbin improve elsewhere…

What fans should be talking about: Creativity.

My free advice: Stagger the rotations. Dictate matchups now and then with an unconventional-but-strategic lineup. Unleash your players’ weird strengths in ways that make us talk. Experiment. Explore the guys’ positional diversity without getting stuck in positional archetypes. Respect the past but establish your own identity.

I think vets should definitely be mixed in with the kids. He's shown creativity the past couple years it's not on the fly. He adjusts things slowly. I'd guess we'll see a lot more of it this year as he tries to find anything that works.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #170
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

The Utah Jazz, with less than a week to go before the league deadline, remain in talks with swingman Gordon Hayward on a contract extension, according to sources close to the process. ESPN.com

Sources told ESPN.com that Hayward remains likely to land an extension before the deadline, with negotiations expected to pick up in pace this weekend after the team returns from a weeklong road trip in Southern California. ESPN.com

“I’d love to be in Utah for the rest of my career,” Hayward said to HOOPSWORLD. “The fans are great there, I love playing basketball there, but I’ll let my representatives deal with that and just focus on basketball. HoopsWorld
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #171
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Wolves big man Chris Johnson didn’t play again, the fifth time in seven preseason games in which he didn’t get off the bench. He played nine-plus minutes in two games and clearly isn’t part of Adelman’s plans. The Wolves can create two roster spots for four other players competing for jobs if they waive Johnson and pay him his $916,000 guaranteed contract. Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Make it worth the Jazz while and they might be able to help you out.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #172
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Marc Stein: Too late to change my ROY pick -- and Oladipo will have a great shot at it obviously -- but raves for Dennis Schroeder are already piling up Twitter @ESPNSteinLine
Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #173
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Jamaal Tinsley to shore up the guard line, that hadn’t happened by game time.

Could make sense to wait and see what else is out there with cuts being made.

Quote:
Friday’s loss made it seven consecutive preseason defeats, following an opening-night win. After manhandling Golden State, 101-78 on Oct. 8, they went on to lose like priests at a craps table. Portland, the Clippers and Lakers each beat them twice and Oklahoma City beat them once.

Does that mean anything?

“Not necessarily,” said coach Tyron Corbin, adding that in the preseason “you want to get a feeling for who you are, but it’s not really indication of what kind a season you’ll have, good or bad.”

Corbin is right. Preseason results make for spotty forecasting. There have been years when the Jazz reeked in the preseason, yet went on to great seasons. Other times they were nearly flawless in October but ineffectual the rest of the year.

The Jazz went 1-7 in 1990 but ended up winning 54 games and reaching the conference semifinals. In 2003 they were 7-1 in exhibition, only to miss the playoffs. In the Jazz’s two greatest seasons, 1996-97 and 1997-98, they only went 4-4 and 5-3.

Moral to the story: Preseason is like a sore throat — it could be a big deal or it might not.

I don't think there is much doubt that they will suck badly! That's the plan.

Quote:
One indication they are still a few tomatoes short of a salad is that they’ve pinned big hopes on injured rookie Trey Burke. He’s talented, but the next Deron Williams?

Right now he’s not even the next Mo Williams.

Doubt he'll be anywhere as good as Deron.

Quote:
There’s some talent, but not enough to contend.

Kanter would disagree.

“I mean, this room has enough talent to beat every team on every court,” Kanter said as he sat at his locker at the Honda Center. “I’m talking about Jeremy (Evans), Alec (Burks), Gordon (Hayward), Derrick (Favors), Trey Burke … This is my third year and we have enough talent to beat every team.”

Like the confidence anyway!

Quote:
Is signing Favors and Hayward to extensions a wise move? Andrei Kirilenko’s big contract was a problem near the end of his Utah sojourn. But in this case, the Jazz don’t have much choice; they can’t build around their mascot. Surely other teams would prosper with them if the Jazz didn’t.

Time will tell. They have a choice. If you have to overpay them than you are better off letting them go to another team.

Quote:
Hayward looked like he was worth a bundle in the first half, filling up the box score the way, well, Kirilenko once did. But he’s far more adept offensively than AK-47 ever was.

He's certainly a more polished offensive player.

Quote:
their dismal preseason record doesn’t seem to overly concern Jazz fans or the media.

Because everyone knows they are tanking and sadly most people think that's the thing to do these days.

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 10-26-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #174
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
“It’s seven straight losses. We’ve got to learn from it. We’re not happy with it,” said Utah coach Tyrone Corbin.

Well you might have beat the Lakers twice if you'd went with your best players down the stretch to get them that experience.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #175
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
When Feb. 21 came and the NBA’s midseason trade deadline passed and Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson and everyone else remained on the Jazz roster, many around the NBA scratched their heads. Here were the Jazz, fighting for a playoff spot but still far from the top of the Western Conference, sitting on a gold mine of NBA contracts in the form of talented big men Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap.

And they were just … sitting on them?

"We didn’t go out and trade Al and Paul," said Kevin O’Connor, the Jazz’s executive vice president of basketball operations. "We wanted to see what that team could do a little bit, but we also, as we snooped around, there wasn’t a big market for those two — enough to say, OK, let’s do it."
People made too much of it. Jefferson should have never been acquired and should have been traded because they would have been better without him. But letting a guy expire and go elsewhere could be the smart move depending. They were able to get assets from GS. Rather that is as much as they would have got by cleaning house is hard to say.

Quote:
Asked if the league is watching the Jazz’s strategy, O’Connor said, "If it works, I think they’ll really like it. It’s a copycat league."

They're the 1st ones to tank?

Quote:
Just like anything else, the Jazz’s strategy, the one that brought them to what General Manger Dennis Lindsey calls a "season of discovery," is based on intense study of what other teams have done. How they have succeeded and failed. The truth of this Utah rebuild lay deep in filing cabinets in the Jazz front offices, on memos where O’Connor and his cohorts drew up long-term plans before Deron Williams left, before Jerry Sloan resigned and, certainly, well before he returned as an adviser.

In 2010, the Jazz feared Williams would leave two summers later as a free agent. The NBA had been pocked by players making their careers in smaller markets and then skipping town: LeBron James had done it in Cleveland, so had Chris Bosh (Toronto) and Amare Stoudemire (Phoenix). Carmelo Anthony was about to do it in Denver.

So the Jazz brain trust sat down and built a list of what they would consider in a trade for Williams. The answer had been dictated by the big move they’d made the summer before.

"We said we have to get young assets, draft picks and some relief so that no contract could go beyond Al and Paul," O’Connor said earlier this month.

When the Jazz acquired Al Jefferson in an offseason trade to replace the post scoring of Carlos Boozer, they did so with more of an eye toward his contract than his ability on the left block. The franchise made a fundamental decision not take on contracts that went longer than 2013, when Paul Millsap’s deal expired.

Wow! The Jefferson trade wasn't made because he was any good or for Deron after all! Chandler still would have made more sense though.

Quote:
So, when the time came to deal Williams, which the Jazz did in the early hours of a February game day, they went back to three requirements of any deal.

Draft picks (Kanter, Burke), young assets (Favors), cap relief (Devin Harris). The only deviation from that plan came last summer, when the Jazz flipped Harris to Atlanta for Marvin Williams, whose contract expires next summer.
Getting rid of Harris was a must! Unfortunately they now have the same problem being stuck with Marvin!

Quote:
The Jazz also lucked out in that deal by receiving pieces that would make up three-fifths of their much ballyhooed core. Favors had been New Jersey’s draft pick the year before, Kanter was selected with the pick the Nets shipped to the Jazz, and Burke, the No. 9 overall pick in this summer’s draft, was acquired thanks to yet another pick the Nets threw into the deal.
They lucked out how? Taking the 2nd offer on the table from the only team that knew Deron was available is still very questionable.

Quote:
"I think it was a decision that had a lot of forethought to it," Lindsey said of the deal, "and now we’re starting to see some of the fruits from that; that seed that was planted into the ground. And as the young players are growing, we needed to create more opportunity for them and really discover where we’re at now so we can move forward intelligently."

Last season the Jazz faced a crossroad: If the team was good, the organization could be inspired to build around a core of Jefferson, Millsap and select young players. Other young assets could have taken on value around the league. Instead, the team flopped down the stretch, finishing 43-39 and missing the playoffs.

A team built around Al was never going anywhere. Too bad it took them 3 years to figure that out!

Quote:
The core was blown apart, although not as dramatically as such verbiage suggests. The highest-paid players simply walked away, and the Jazz invested — emotionally, if not yet financially — in the beginnings of a new core. No one has yet to suggest the Jazz have the primary pieces to build a championship team. If the Jazz struggle as much as most expect, June’s draft will yield a high draft pick, as well as a second first rounder acquired from the Golden State Warriors in July’s salary move that brought Richard Jefferson, Brandon Rush and Andris Biedrins to Utah.

Whether that manifests itself in the form of Andrew Wiggins or Julian Randle or something else entirely, it will fall in line with a long-term plan. And not short-term scrambling.

boram@sltrib.com

Twitter: @bill_oram
Old 10-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #176
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
A misleading shooting performance at the Orlando Pro Summer League was quickly overshadowed by solid performances in the first two preseason games. However, the question remains of how he is using the time off the floor and whether he will be prepared to step back into a key role.

He looked better but was still inefficient shooting the ball.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #177
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
The mental part of the game is sometimes a concern, but some within the organization believe Kanter is a future All-Star.

mental part is a concern?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #178
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
At his best, he’s a double-digit scorer who once shot nearly 40 percent from 3. At his worst, he’s an inconsistent contributor off Ty Corbin’s bench. Last season he averaged career lows in minutes and points per game.

At his best he will be traded! At his worst at the end of the bench until his contract expires at the end of the year.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #179
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Evans is rail-thin, so he’ll have to expand his game enough to be used at the small forward position.

This would be ideal but haven't really heard that it's going to happen ever still.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #180
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

The Jazz organization is pleased that he has been as independent as he’s turned out to be. Upon arriving, he immediately secured his drivers license. He brought furniture. He found an apartment, all largely on his own.

Gobert been more mature than the organization anticipated. He’s acted like a grownup — not a slam dunk for 21-year-olds.

In his short time with the Jazz, Gobert’s found a good friend in fellow rookie Ian Clark, the shooter out of Belmont. Clark found himself drawn to Gobert’s sense of humor. They have helped each other. Gobert has assisted with Clark’s transition of being in Utah by himself. Clark has helped with some of the basics on American life.

"I think the big thing is just kind of helping him with being on time," Clark said. "That’s one thing he struggled with early. And helping with the plays early, help him understand where to go and where to be. He catches on pretty quick."

When Utah traded for Gobert — the Denver Nuggets selected him with the 27th pick — it did so knowing that he wouldn’t be fully ready to make an immediate impact. His length and athleticism, however, are pretty rare, even for a man his size.

He played well in the Orlando summer league, showing the ability to protect the rim and finish in traffic. He hasn’t played much in the preseason, and some of that has to do with a shoulder injury that has held him back.

But progress is being made. He’s picking up play calls on both ends. He’s hitting the weight room seriously for the first time, and that is leading to increased strength. The overall speed of the NBA game will take time for him to get used to.

"He’s growing," Corbin said. "It’s going to take awhile. It’s a huge adjustment for guys coming from overseas, the nuances of the game, the speed, the different calls on the floor. But he’s making good progress."

tjones@sltrib.com

on twitter: @tjonessltrib
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: