Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #181
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

Quote:
The question, of course, is whether Hayward is ready for what the Jazz will ask of him. Can he become Utah’s primary scorer and facilitator on offense? Will he make his teammates better, like the league’s other top players?

Ideally he's not their top scorer. I think he can faciltate the offense and make his teammates better. He's not one of the leagues top players though.

Quote:
Los Angeles Clipper coach Doc Rivers recalls his time with Paul Pierce in Boston and Tracy McGrady in Orlando. Neither team was championship-caliber despite the presence of a genuine All-Star player.

"There’s no one man," Rivers said. "... You need a lot of guys to be a good team. But [Hayward] is one of those guys you can build a team around. He does everything well. He plays so hard."

And why the Jazz think they have to show him the money.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #182
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
there will be intermittent reinforcement, nights when Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors are dominating opponents inside, when Gordon Hayward is filling the stat sheet and when Trey Burke and Alec Burks are looking like All-Star guards.

Yes when they are playing the other shitty teams in the league.

More frequently, hopes will arise when Andrew Wiggins is doing big things for Kansas and every Jazz fan memorizes the precise odds of winning the draft lottery.

Quote:
there’s also the theory that winning too often would mess up everything, in terms of draft position.

Would be a disaster since that is obviously the plan.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #183
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Tonight’s story was the second straight high quality performance by Rudy Gobert. Rudy’s growth from French league to Chicago Pre-Draft to Jazz workout to this training camp is remarkable. He impacts everything. I was walking out with Steve Blake tonight (yes he was still on fire) and he asked how long is that guy. When I told him 9’7 he just stopped. Rudy impacts everything. Two things I was really impressed with tonight were his ability to catch the ball in traffic off the bounce and the fearlessness he played with. Talking to Coach Corbin after the game he mentioned that in practice they threw so much at Rudy that he was always thinking and when he has played in the game he plays without that same hesitation they saw in practice. He was really impressive and when he dunks no one is getting in the way.

He's a player. He still looks raw though. I think ideally he'll spend some time in the D-League once they are healthy enough to send him down there. If Evans is out he might be at least their 4th big right now.

Quote:
The ball movement tonight was great. Most offensive possessions swung the ball from one side to the other and on a lot of occasions they brought it back to the strong side again. The Jazz have to have this type of ball movement this year because they don’t have one on one players. It will be interesting when they play a good defensive team (lakers aren’t) if they are able to still get this type of ball movement. It was impressive tonight. They opened the night with 6 assists on the first 6 field goals and assists by 5 different players.

The two players the Jazz needed to have good nights, Alec Burks and Enes Kanter, had good nights. Burks hit one outside shot and played toward the rim tonight. Kanter battled both Gasol and cover the stretch 4 Williams well tonight. Offensively he made a few shots and even took a corner 3 which is the correct shot.

Gordon Hayward got crazy hot in the 2nd quarter and even took a heat check shot. He hit back to back bombs and then made a few more plays scoring 10 points in the 2nd quarter.

Jazz defense was not as good tonight. The first half was so paced with a lot of scoring and the third quarter they let the lakers run all over them. The Lakers scored above the league average in all but the 4th quarter.
Jazz offense was good tonight other than the 3rd quarter. An offensive rating of 111.8 was one of the best for the pre-season. The defensive rating of 116.5 was probably the worst.

Defensive rebounding continues to be a strength

See you Wednesday at Energy Solutions.
Posted in Emptying the Noggin

Good to hear. Defensive rebounding was an issue last year even with their deep front line.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #184
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Steve Kyler: In case you missed it last night @David Aldridge reporting that Wizards won't be keeping Kendall Marshall, Malcom Lee or Shannon Brown Twitter @stevekylerNBA

Another reason to wait on Tinsley. Not sure Marshall is the best fit though. Shannon Brown could be but it sounds like he is going back to Lakers.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #185
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jazz Sign Tinsley, Waive Cook, Holiday, Hudson, Machado, McGuire
Oct 26, 2013 1:18 PM EDT

The Utah Jazz have signed Jamaal Tinsley and waived Brian Cook, Justin Holiday, Lester Hudson, Scott Machado and Dominic McGuire, the team announced on Saturday.

Tinsley had been widely reported as receiving interest from the Jazz.

Cook, Holiday, Hudson, Machado and McGuire all were under training camp deals.

Harris made the team? Not the one I would have expected.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #186
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27399561&nid...ut-five-others

Says Harris made it. I assume he can play some 3 is why? I thought of him as an undersized 4 but if he can play both forward positions it makes him more versatile than Cook, Mcguire or Holiday because they need help at both spots with the injuries. Though they've been calling McGuire a 4 too. He's got the height but I thought of him as more of a wing. He's been hurt though which could have hurt his chances. Evans must not be expected back yet?

Harris can play. I saw him a bit with the Rockets. He was like Charlie Hayes light. I'd guess this could change once(if?) they get healthy. Clark is only guaranteed until January too. So they've still got a bit of flexibility.

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 10-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #187
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ja...202627935.html

Hayward and the Jazz sound like they can't agree on a reasonable deal. Still a few more days to go though. Did mention that the current deal wasn't over $50 million though.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #188
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Yes I saw that.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #189
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
"We’re excited to have him back," Corbin said of Tinsley. "He’s familiar with what we’re doing here. He’s excited to be back with us. We need him to help organize the young group, and we’re excited to get him back on the floor."

Tinsley is excited, too. He kept himself in playing shape and was a constant fixture on basketball courts throughout the offseason and preseason, waiting for another NBA opportunity.

"I was just waiting on the call," Tinsley said. "I just told my agent, 'If Utah gives me a call, I want to go back.'"

Tinsley flew to Utah from New York while the team wrapped up its 1-7 preseason in Southern California.

Why the 6-foot-6, 235-pound Harris over the others?

"We need somebody that’s a little bit more mobile. He fits the bill," Corbin said of the 30-year-old forward. "He’s worked his butt off to be a part of what we’re doing."

The Jazz roster now stands at a maximum of 15 players. But Corbin anticipates that Utah will only have 11 healthy players for Wednesday's season opener at home against Oklahoma City.

Burke (finger), Marvin Williams (Achilles), Brandon Rush (knee) and Jeremy Evans (shoulder) remain out indefinitely with injuries.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody

Now Evans is out indefinitely.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #190
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Each of the five guys the Utah Jazz cut Saturday had their moments during the preseason.

That made Tyrone Corbin’s decision to waive Brian Cook, Scott Machado, Justin Holiday, Dominic McGuire and Lester Hudson all the harder.

But Corbin said the one survivor of the non-guaranteed contract guys deserves to be on the team.

NBA journeyman Mike Harris, a 30-year-old forward, impressed the Jazz staff even if he wasn’t as flashy as some of the waived players. Corbin listed Harris’ “big body” and habit of “working hard” as reasons why he kept him on board.

“We need somebody that’s a little bit more mobile,” Corbin said. “He fits the bill. He’s worked his butt off to be a part of what we’re doing.”

With injuries to Jeremy Evans (rotator cuff) and Marvin Williams (Achilles), the Jazz need extra bodies at forward.

Those three players and Trey Burke won’t be ready to play by Wednesday’s season-opener, according to Corbin.

“He’s a competitor. He’s played hard,” Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward said. “I think he’s made the right basketball play almost 100 percent of the time, and I think that’s what they were looking for.”

Saturday's transactions bring the Jazz's roster to the maximum of 15 players ahead of the first game against Oklahoma City.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #191
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Rumors have his deal worth slightly more than Favors, potentially topping the $50 million mark. Nothing has been agreed to yet, but in his perfect world Hayward would emulate former Jazz greats John Stockton, Mark Eaton and Darrell Griffith by playing his entire career, not just the next several years, in Utah.

“I’d love to be in Utah for the rest of my career,” Hayward said to HOOPSWORLD. “The fans are great there, I love playing basketball there, but I’ll let my representatives deal with that and just focus on basketball.

“I just go out and play basketball, try to get better as a basketball player and let them handle that.”

At 23 years of age, the Jazz have a potential star on their hands in Hayward. He has no shortage of fans throughout the league, including Los Angeles Clippers head coach Doc Rivers and Los Angeles Lakers star shooting guard Kobe Braynt, two people whose praise is difficult to earn. He’s significantly improved through each of his first three seasons, averaging 14 points, three rebounds and three assists last season while shooting 43 percent from the field and 41 percent from beyond the arc.

With Al Jefferon, Paul Millsap and Mo Williams gone, everyone keeps talking about how the pressure is on Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter to step up and become leaders. But, Hayward could end up being the focal point of their attack, especially offensively.

“I have to be more of a playmaker this year, distribute the basketball to guys where they are going to be successful,” Hayward said. “We’re going to need me to make plays, that’s what I’m going to work on.”

Hayward’s development as a playmaker will especially be vital early on as the team deals with the absence of rookie point guard Trey Burke, who suffered a broken finger during the preseason. Burke was brought in to run the show and facilitate the offense, but he’ll need help in that area when he does return from Hayward, who is more than willing to do so.

“I’m comfortable doing that,” Hayward responded when asked about being a point forward. “I’ve been in this offense for a while. So, I know pretty much every position, where guys should be at. It’s just a matter of me executing the play.”

Hayward and the Jazz have one final tune up left in the preseason on October 25 when they take on the Los Angeles Lakers. They’ll have a five day break prior to the regular season and their home opener on October 30 against the Oklahoma City Thunder, which will be a critical period.

“It’s been a long preseason already, it’s a lot of games,” Hayward said. “Hopefully when we get a little bit of a break before the first regular season game we can look at the film, see what we need to work on. We have a couple of practices, hopefully we can get ourselves ready.”

Sometime during that stretch, perhaps even sooner, Hayward could get a call from his agent with a request to join him in a meeting with Jazz management so that he can officially sign his extension. Hayward has accomplished a lot in the game of basketball, from leading then unknown Butler to the national championship game, to becoming a lottery pick and now one of the top young swingmen in the league. However, putting his signature on an eight-figure contract will likely top them all, and bring him one step closer to his dream of remaining in Utah for the duration of his career.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #192
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Top Of The List

Top Offensive Player: Gordon Hayward. There will be plenty of shots to go around in Utah this season, and it’s entirely possible that one of several players could emerge as the team’s leading scorer. That said, Hayward was third on the team in scoring last season with 14.1 points per game, including 41.5 percent accuracy from downtown. Hayward is the odds-on favorite to lead the team early on, even if someone else emerges mid-season.

Top Defensive Player: Derrick Favors. As the Jazz prepare for what is likely to be a rough season, they’re going to call on everyone to step up. Management’s confidence that their young core is capable of doing so is seen in their decision-making over the summer. Favors led the team in blocks last season as a reserve averaging just 23.2 minutes per game, so it’s logical to expect even more from him in a bigger role.

Top Playmaker: Trey Burke. It’s going to be baptism by fire for Trey Burke, who looks to be Utah’s starting point guard on opening night. Burke made a name for himself at Michigan by being extremely efficient in transition, and the Jazz will want to take full advantage of that strength. Burke is also exceptionally efficient in pick-and-roll situations, which bodes well for a team with solid young big men like the Jazz have.

Top Clutch Player: Derrick Favors. Surprisingly, Favors was actually Utah’s best player when considering games that were decided in the final five minutes. Favors saw action in twenty of those last season, converting 75 percent of his field goals on .2 attempts per game. Kanter was similarly effective, but in just four games that fit the category. It’s safe to say the ball should go through the post when the game’s on the line.

The Unheralded Player: Brandon Rush. Before an injury claimed all but two games of last season for Rush, he was a player on the rise. Two seasons ago he averaged 9.8 points per game, shooting 50 percent from the field and 45 percent from three as a reserve for the Golden State Warriors. For a young Jazz team in need of veteran leadership, Rush promises to be a great addition on and off the court.

Best New Addition: Trey Burke. As mentioned previously, Burke brings a reputation for efficient execution to the Jazz, and that’s something he will have to show he can translate to the NBA level as a rookie. He took his lumps in summer league play, and his size might be an issue, but playing with quality front court players like Utah has in place should help Burke make the transition to the pro game.

-Bill Ingram

Who We Like

1. Jerry Sloan – The former head coach of the Jazz, Sloan piloted the team to unprecedented success during the toughest era the NBA has ever known. They never quite managed to get that elusive championship, but they were contenders nearly every year. With Sloan back in the mix, Utah’s future might turn out to be even brighter than their past.

2. Dennis Lindsey – It’s no secret that most teams who are looking to rebuild are trying to do it in a manner similar to the way the San Antonio Spurs have been able to do it over the last decade and a half. We’ve seen a number of teams hire away their front office talent, as the Jazz did with Lindsey, and he is hoping to instill a little of that blue-collar style that has made the Spurs so successful.

3. Gordon Hayward – In a very short period of time, Hayward has gone from the new kid in Utah to the grizzled veteran and the voice of leadership in the locker room. He’s up for the challenge, however, and the Jazz are hopeful that he will take the next step this season, both on and off the floor.

4. Derrick Favors – As much as this is likely to be the year that Hayward emerges as one of the better up-and-coming talents in Utah, Derrick Favors must become an enforcer in the paint for the Jazz to be competitive. The team let some impressive veterans walk to make room for favors and Enes Kanter in the starting lineup, and with that comes a responsibility that Favors appears ready to shoulder.

5. John Lucas III – One of the NBA’s true journeymen, Lucas always manages to find a place to play ball. The primary reason is that Lucas is a player who can impact a game night in and night out, yet is also happy to play whatever role his coach lays out for him. He is a great locker room veteran, and he will certainly play a major role in helping Trey Burke learn how to lead a team at the pro level.

-Bill Ingram

Strengths

Offensive rebounding was a specialty of Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors last season, and with their increased minutes that is likely to be a huge strength for the Jazz this season. When Kanter and Favors were in the lineup together last season they turned 45.9 percent of Utah’s misses into offensive rebounds, and given Trey Burke’s limited success at finishing drives to the basket that could play huge for Utah this season.

-Bill Ingram

Weaknesses

Lack of experience will obviously be a big factor for the Jazz in 2013-14, as will their lack of a core group that is accustomed to playing together for long stretches. [/quote]

Favors/Kanter/G/Burks have played plenty together.

Quote:
The Jazz will rely heavily on draftee Trey Burke, who struggled to lead the team’s summer league and was often pushed around by bigger guards. With so few veterans left to stabilize Utah’s young core, it could be a very long season for Jazz fans.

-Bill Ingram

The Burning Question
Is Utah’s young core ready for prime time?

By allowing most of their veterans to walk away, the Jazz have put themselves in a low-risk, high-reward situation. If guys like Gordon Hayward, Enes Kanter, Alec Burks and Derrick Favors blossom this season, the Jazz might be pretty good. If it doesn’t work out that way, they gain a lottery pick in the 2014 NBA draft, which is expected to be the best draft in years. Andrew Wiggins would look awfully good in a Jazz uniform, and Utah’s management knows it.

- Bill Ingram
Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #193
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...hwest-division

Dead Meat: Utah Jazz. It's going to be a rough season in Utah. The front office finally pulled the plug on the Al Jefferson-Paul Millsap frontcourt, relieving the log jam that's held up Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter's development. The Jazz are going with a youth movement type of thing and while there are nice pieces in place -- like Gordon Hayward and Alec Burks -- their bench is atrocious and they don't currently have a point guard because of Trey Burke's injury.

It will be a struggle for Utah to win 30, unless Favors and Kanter are better than expected and Hayward shows he can be a featured player. And even still, that probably only means 35.

Division ROY: Trey Burke. The Northwest has unfortunately already been bitten by the injury bug with both Burke and Portland's C.J. McCollum set to miss the beginning of the season.

But Burke will have the most significant role and was a trendy pick by a lot of people to win the actual Rookie of the Year, before he was injured. He's not going to miss that much of the season and assuming he can get his feet under him, he could have a pretty nice season.

1. Oklahoma City Thunder 56-26

2. Minnesota Timberwolves 44-38

3. Portland Trail Blazers 43-39

4. Denver Nuggets 39-43

5. Utah Jazz 27-55
Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #194
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Hot Seat

Tyrone Corbin, Utah Jazz

Among the projected cellar-dwellers who seem intent on pursuing the developing/rebuilding route, Utah is unique in that it hasn’t undertaken a coaching change since 2011. One might assume at first that a youth movement would take some of the pressure off Corbin, who is 87-89 (.494) in two-plus seasons after taking over for Jerry Sloan, but that’s probably an oversimplification. Corbin was initially appointed to make the transition from Sloan as smooth as possible while keeping Utah in the mix for the playoffs; this Jazz team is in a very different place after letting Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Mo Williams leave in free agency. Further complicating matters: Corbin is entering a contract year and he’s working for a GM, Dennis Lindsey, who joined the organization after Corbin was promoted to the head job.

GOLLIVER: X-Factors in the Western Conference

The Salt Lake Tribune reported in September that no contract extension was expected for Corbin, which makes sense given the franchise’s sharp turn this summer. The task ahead for Corbin is straightforward: prove to management that he’s the guy who can get the most out of a young core that includes Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Gordon Hayward, Alec Burks and Trey Burke. If he falls short, or simply doesn’t put his stamp on the season, Corbin could go the way of Gentry, Frank, Smart and Byron Scott (Cavaliers) by falling victim to the “it’s time for a new voice” routine.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #195
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.nba.com/reportcard/offseason/2013/jazz
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: