Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Arrow ☆Official Coaches Thread: Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Byron Scott - Fisher to Knicks

MDA: “If Fans Are Discouraged, Find Another Team”
Link: http://www.lakersnation.com/mike-dan...am/2013/12/23/
Quote:
“If fans are discouraged, find another team to root for.” -Mike D’Antoni (on @TWCSportsNet)

D'Antoni Responds to Pau Gasol's comments.
Link: http://www.lakersnation.com/mike-dan...le/2013/12/13/
Quote:
“It’s also a nice excuse not to play hard,” D’Antoni said. “That’s a classic, ‘I don’t know what I’m supposed to do.’ Well, you don’t have trouble getting up to the paystub line. You know what you need to do to get your check. You know what to do. They will. They’ll figure it out.”

“That’s one thing. They don’t want to do it that way. I understand that. That’s when you have to accept it or not. But there’s no reason not to play hard.”

Last edited by $LakerGold : 12-24-2013 at 02:26 AM.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Laker News: Mike DíAntoni Responds To Pau Gasolís Comments About Playing Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
~via LakersNation: LINK

In a way it's not great where Gasol isn't playing as hard as he could but I don't think responding like that is going to help overall morale basically saying suck it up (it's not like D'Antoni gets the best out of big players in general or that aren't based on athleticism).

Last edited by Lakers91 : 12-15-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Laker News: Mike DíAntoni Responds To Pau Gasolís Comments About Playing Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers91
In a way it's not great where Gasol isn't play as hard as he could but I don't think responding like that is going to help overall morale basically saying suck it up (it's not like D'Antoni gets the best out of big players in general or that aren't based on athleticism).

Yeah, I don't know why 'Antoni likes to fight things out in the media all the time.
He needs to get this stuff straight inside the locker room, not out in public.
Not only does it ruin team morale but it also drives away free agents who don't want to deal with a yapper. I'll say this, at least Pau has won 2 rings.....No D toni hasn't won Sh!t and never will, he has zero credibility......but I think they both need to STFU.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Yeah, I don't know why 'Antoni likes to fight things out in the media all the time.
He needs to get this stuff straight inside the locker room, not out in public.
Not only does it ruin team morale but it also drives away free agents who don't want to deal with a yapper. I'll say this, at least Pau has won 2 rings.....No D toni hasn't won Sh!t and never will, he has zero credibility......but I think they both need to STFU.

Seems to happen quite a lot in the NBA in general but seems to be for the Lakers especially lately and last year , certain things you just don't go out into the media or public and say because of the potential it can be manipulated and change and cause friction, in my opinion you go straight to the person, I don't like Gasol going out into the media and complaining but if he isn't playing well and he feels the coach isn't doing anything to help or maximise his talent (which he didn't last year either) what else is he meant to do? You should always play hard and give energy but there is a certain point where if someone isn't using and appreciating your talent in any sport you slowly start to think why bother if you won't use me anywhere why am I here and why are you coaching me why not just let me go elsewhere, I think that's where Pau is at the moment, his coach isn't helping his game because it doesn't suit the coach's system (that to memory hasn't got further than a conference final and was heavily exposed in a series vs the Spurs and D'Antoni's lack of coaching ability exposed with it), I also don't like D'Antoni responding through the media too you know he's annoyed with you so go and talk to him in person, just because he talks to the media doesn't mean you have to respond in kind with that, just hurts team morale certain things should stay private and behind closed doors, both their comments should have. I think Pau is just morally or mentally drained from all the trade rumours, from the vetoed trade to now having a coach who's system you don't fit I think he's just had enough and his time as a Laker he can't wait for it to end.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
bladefd
Good college starter

I wonder if the Knicks would even entertain a Gasol-for-Chandler deal?

Chandler would be great - you don't have to draw any plays for him. He would be the garbage man cleaning up rebounds and shutting down the paint. Then Lakers would need to sign a decent PF because Hill cannot realistically play PF

Last edited by bladefd : 12-15-2013 at 11:00 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

Chandler would be great - you don't have to draw any plays for him. He would be the garbage man cleaning up rebounds and shutting down the paint. Then Lakers would need to sign a decent PF because Hill cannot realistically play PF

James Dolan is the owner sooo...it's about time for his dumb move of the season , my only concern with that trade is it potentially gets rid of a potential free agency signing at the end of the year, but Chandler's deal runs out at the end of 2015 so it comes in at just the right time I assume to try and sign Kevin Love, J.R Smith is on an average contract and has been terrible this year, apparently according to rumor that was some of the parts (Gasol + ?? for Chandler +JR Smith or Shumpert whether that's true or not who knows). Chandler is a good defensive center offensive he's dunks and alley oop dunks and the PnR finish a bit too, but he wouldn't complain because he takes pride in his defense being what he specializes in and wouldn't demand many offensive touches or be too disrupting for chemistry. If they get him would imagine either Kaman or Hill will be dangled for a power forward, Kaman isn't good defensively especially if he was on power forwards, Hill is a great energy guy with hustle would hate to lose him but it would either be him or Hill to be traded for a power forward in my opinion if that deal ever happens. Albeit he hasn't done that well with it if you do that deal kind of who is second option on offense is the downfall, Gasol at times can be a decent second option (hasn't done well this year), who is it after that trade, J.R Smith!? Or something ridiculous like that, it wouldn't be a bad deal overall be pretty good just raises a fair few questions if it ever goes through.

Last edited by Lakers91 : 12-16-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Da Kobester
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

Big physical brutes wouldn't want to play in Antoni's small ball system so we can just forget about the likes of tough guys Chandler or a Cousins coming here until Antoni gets canned coz his teams personnel is suited for his system. Until then Lakernation can just day dream about back in the dayz when we had real physical specimens Shaq, Bynum and Howard.
Da Kobester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Kobester
Big physical brutes wouldn't want to play in Antoni's small ball system so we can just forget about the likes of tough guys Chandler or a Cousins coming here until Antoni gets canned coz his teams personnel is suited for his system. Until then Lakernation can just day dream about back in the dayz when we had real physical specimens Shaq, Bynum and Howard.

In a way I agree, I don't think it's so much his small ball system, because Miami does small ball but Oden went there and if he was healthy he could be used as a center with Bosh at power forward (not so much small ball then though, maybe LeBron at 4 resting Bosh and Oden at 5) anyway, I don't think it's just the small ball, I mean last year it was Dwight at 5 and Pau at 4 it's more so he doesn't cater to big men, I think if he would actually alter his system it might be okay but his system just doesn't change and his own personal preference to guards doesn't change, if he'd find a way for bigmen like Pau and Dwight last year to share the paint and not just have Pau as a shooter from 15+ feet then it may have been better, he just is totally married to his system, and I find him rather arrogant with it for a coach that has not won anything significant he had a great few years with the Suns where they were a western conference force but never made the finals and considering the teams he had in Phoenix I think anything less than an NBA finals appearance was underachieving considering the players he had, I don't think he's underrated for what he did in Phoenix I think he's overrated considering the personnel he had and couldn't get any further (partly because of his small ball lineup and his system), now everyone uses small ball I don't see as I've said before what he offers to gain the title "offensive genius" certainly a one sided coach and not a very good one because of his lack of attention to defense and defensive schemes/rotations. If the Lakers want a chance to get a star then D'Antoni must go at the end of the season, the most likely star in Melo to come here this year will never join when D'Antoni is coach, so it's either pick a good coach heck I'd love Hollins unceremoniously dismissed by the Grizzlies rather unfairly his defensive schemes for Memphis were great or Karl, there are a lot of coaches less one sided and better overall than D'Antoni but knowing Jim Buss and his previous coaching choices even if D'Antoni was fired probably be replaced by someone worse.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
In a way I agree, I don't think it's so much his small ball system, because Miami does small ball but Oden went there and if he was healthy he could be used as a center with Bosh at power forward (not so much small ball then though, maybe LeBron at 4 resting Bosh and Oden at 5) anyway, I don't think it's just the small ball, I mean last year it was Dwight at 5 and Pau at 4 it's more so he doesn't cater to big men, I think if he would actually alter his system it might be okay but his system just doesn't change and his own personal preference to guards doesn't change, if he'd find a way for bigmen like Pau and Dwight last year to share the paint and not just have Pau as a shooter from 15+ feet then it may have been better, he just is totally married to his system, and I find him rather arrogant with it for a coach that has not won anything significant he had a great few years with the Suns where they were a western conference force but never made the finals and considering the teams he had in Phoenix I think anything less than an NBA finals appearance was underachieving considering the players he had, I don't think he's underrated for what he did in Phoenix I think he's overrated considering the personnel he had and couldn't get any further (partly because of his small ball lineup and his system), now everyone uses small ball I don't see as I've said before what he offers to gain the title "offensive genius" certainly a one sided coach and not a very good one because of his lack of attention to defense and defensive schemes/rotations. If the Lakers want a chance to get a star then D'Antoni must go at the end of the season, the most likely star in Melo to come here this year will never join when D'Antoni is coach, so it's either pick a good coach heck I'd love Hollins unceremoniously dismissed by the Grizzlies rather unfairly his defensive schemes for Memphis were great or Karl, there are a lot of coaches less one sided and better overall than D'Antoni but knowing Jim Buss and his previous coaching choices even if D'Antoni was fired probably be replaced by someone worse.

I couldn't have said this better myself

As for Jimmy's stupid coaching choices......he actually interviewed Mike Dunleavy I wouldn't be shocked if he's our next coach
Old 12-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I couldn't have said this better myself

As for Jimmy's stupid coaching choices......he actually interviewed Mike Dunleavy I wouldn't be shocked if he's our next coach

Read about that, that was before he hired Brown wasn't it? I'd have much rather have had either Adelman or Shaw probably Adelman I'd have preferred as number one to be honest back then, or Brian Shaw for the regularity with the triangle (but Jim Buss came in with my way trying to get rid of Jackson's staff and in a way trying to remove him from continuing influence/presence in the Lakers such an arrogant man in my opinion, one thing him and D'Antoni have in common the stubbornness and arrogance almost forgot the slight hopelessness ). Don't really get why the front office didn't get Adelman thought he'd have been a great choice at least offensively. I'd rather not have Dunleavey (based on his record, although did take the Lakers to the finals once after that didn't do much) but overall umm no haha
Old 12-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
DKLaker

Quote:
Read about that, that was before he hired Brown wasn't it? I'd have much rather have had either Adelman or Shaw probably Adelman I'd have preferred as number one to be honest back then, or Brian Shaw for the regularity with the triangle (but Jim Buss came in with my way trying to get rid of Jackson's staff and in a way trying to remove him from continuing influence/presence in the Lakers such an arrogant man in my opinion, one thing him and D'Antoni have in common the stubbornness and arrogance almost forgot the slight hopelessness ). Don't really get why the front office didn't get Adelman thought he'd have been a great choice at least offensively. I'd rather not have Dunleavey (based on his record, although did take the Lakers to the finals once after that didn't do much) but overall umm no haha

Well, he was actually interviewed twice, before he hired Brown and before he hired 'Antoni......so I wonder if he's next in line
= We are doomed!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #12
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Arrow Re: Laker News: Mike DíAntoni Responds To Pau Gasolís Comments About Playing Style

MDA: ďIf Fans Are Discouraged, Find Another TeamĒ
Quote:
ďIf fans are discouraged, find another team to root for.Ē -Mike DíAntoni (on @TWCSportsNet)
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #13
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
MDA: “If Fans Are Discouraged, Find Another Team”
Hmm how about a compromise, Mike you go and find another team to coach with your overrated and exposed/flawed coaching and lack of defensive care would be fantastic like literally please resign it would make my christmas period so much better beyond joyful even if the team is horrible at least I wouldn't have to listen to such an annoying, arrogant and stubborn coach. Considering fans and supporters are what make sport in general but especially elite sports possible and largely financially viable through merchandise, ticket sales, television ratings etc etc, I do hope that isn't a full quote but I wouldn't be surprised it's the typical attitude of a slightly deluded person with a narcissistic personality as soon as their position is challenged reply with such a response to essentially accept it or get stuffed/go away then again it's not like arrogance and stubbornness two terrible traits when combined aren't to be expected for Mike D'Antoni. At least previous coaches such as Mike Brown although he was average as a coach especially offensively I could at least tolerate and understand what he had to say, cannot even listen to D'Antoni speak anymore for very long due to his arrogance, after the first few press conferences, especially the being slightly abusive to reporters when challenged and also when focusing on defense last year, arrogance bordering on the point of narcissism. Might want to get a whole new fanbase because no one should be encouraged by either D'Antoni's coaching or the front office lately

Last edited by Lakers91 : 12-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
DKLaker

Quote:
Hmm how about a compromise, Mike you go and find another team to coach with your overrated and exposed/flawed coaching and lack of defensive care would be fantastic like literally please resign it would make my christmas period so much better beyond joyful even if the team is horrible at least I wouldn't have to listen to such an annoying, arrogant and stubborn coach. Considering fans and supporters are what make sport in general but especially elite sports possible and largely financially viable through merchandise, ticket sales, television ratings etc etc, I do hope that isn't a full quote but I wouldn't be surprised it's the typical attitude of a slightly deluded person with a narcissistic personality as soon as their position is challenged reply with such a response to essentially accept it or get stuffed/go away then again it's not like arrogance and stubbornness two terrible traits when combined aren't to be expected for Mike D'Antoni. At least previous coaches such as Mike Brown although he was average as a coach especially offensively I could at least tolerate and understand what he had to say, cannot even listen to D'Antoni speak anymore for very long due to his arrogance, after the first few press conferences, especially the being slightly abusive to reporters when challenged and also when focusing on defense last year, arrogance bordering on the point of narcissism. Might want to get a whole new fanbase because no one should be encouraged by either D'Antoni's coaching or the front office lately

This post is:
Old 12-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Hmm how about a compromise, Mike you go and find another team to coach
exactly. you can not turn on the fans... he should be fired for this alone. i rather have anyone at this point. fans is what pays the bills.
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: