Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Sergei Belov Considered Greatest Ever International Player By Many Experts - Died

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/119...s-sergei-belov

Euroleague Basketball joins the family of European basketball in mourning the passing of European basketball superstar Sergey Belov on Thursday in Perm, Russia at the age of 69. One of the most well-known global stars ever, Sergey Belov was CSKA's franchise player in the 1960s and 1970s due to his great shooting, ball-handling and court sense. Belov won Euroleague titles in 1969 and 1971 as one of CSKA's top players. He also added 11 Soviet Union league titles for CSKA in his 12 seasons with the team. Belov also scored 36 points in the 1973 Euroleague final, but Varese beat CSKA 71-66.

"World basketball has lost a true legend today with the passing of Sergey Belov," Jordi Bertomeu, Euroleague Basketball President and CEO, said. "Mr. Belov was a great figure in European basketball's history and an example of excellence who helped paved the way for the growth of the sport we all love. Euroleague Basketball offers its sincerest regrets to the family of Russian basketball and to the family and loved ones of Mr. Belov."

Mr. Belov's international career was equally impressive. With the Soviet Union national team, Mr. Belov won gold medals at two World Championships, four EuroBaskets and the 1972 Olympics, the latter a first for European players of his era. He totaled four Olympic, six FIBA World Cup and eight EuroBasket medals during his playing and coaching career with the Soviet Union and Russia. Euroleague Basketball chose him as one of greatest 50 contributors to European club basketball in 2008, and Belov is a member of both the FIBA Hall of Fame and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Sergei Belov Considered Greatest Ever International Player By Many Experts - Died

RIP - Great European legend.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Sergei Belov Considered Greatest Ever International Player By Many Experts - Died

It is tragic that not a single Euro fan has shown up to pay their condolences in this original thread about a fallen International hero. How unbelievably disrespectful to neglect this International basketball forum to avoid paying respects. You Eurofans should be ASHAMED of yourselves. If this was in any way shape or form NBA related, we NBA fans would have made a thread about it in our NBA-only forum and payed our respects. You guys should be doing the same, here in your D-League/International forum. Shame on you guys.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I respect for you to post about a Euroleague legend in the correct forum.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I had absolutely no clue who Sergei Belov was until about five years ago. It was my last trip to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. A friend was home from California, and he brought a buddy with him, who was a real basketball guy. He had never been east anywhere, so we took him to a few places. Both Fenway and Yankee stadium, as we live in between the two. Took him out for pizza and a few other local delicacies.

But as the week wore on and we couldn't think of much else, I suggested the basketball hall of fame. He was pretty pumped. At the time when you bought your ticket it would be randomly hit with an image of a HOFer. I always hope for Larry Bird, but never get him. The kid actually got Larry, which pissed me off, and then I got my ticket ... Sergei Belov!?!?!? None of us had any idea who he was (and I'm a pretty hardcore basketball guy), and thought it was pretty damn funny that I'd been probably two dozen times and never got the guy I wanted, and now I get this guy none of us had ever heard of.

So we hunted him down in the museum. Read what little they had about him. I found him pretty fascinating, and wound up doing a bunch of internet sluething about him after that.

I guess the point of the story is the Basketball HoF is doing their thing, in that they got me to look into this guy.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: