Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #31
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banned?

If the thread starter was a respectable poster, maybe i'd give it some thought. But seeing its Pleezbelieve, well.......I really dont care. I just came back from a ban, and I think its necesary to have banning powers to keep spammers, and stupid people(Pleezbelieve) away from the message board. Besides, according to the posters above, its not illegal.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #32
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

NASH = BEST has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
^^^^he likes the attention because his mom doesnt give him any. his dad does, but thats only in the middle of the night, and under the covers so it doesnt count.

This last post proves my point! Why is it that the poster of this comment doesnt get banned for this, It clearly violates the "FRIENDLY" rule of ISH, yet nothing is going to be done about it!! Is it because it's a comment directed towards a poster that most disagree with? I hope it's not the case but it would seem that there is a double standard on this board.

I got banned for something alot smaller than this...
It was that one day that ISH was running kind of slow, we were all playing the "NBA team elimination game". I had copied the last post and submitted my votes in with it, by the time it went through, 4 other Laker fans had posted ahead of me. Since they had all voted against the Suns, My post had the un-Updated version and I was accused of cheating. I never got the chance to apologise cause I had been banned. The Mods pm'd me and had said that they had received around 10 complaints about me cheating on the thread (I assume all Laker fans). I pm'd them back and explained what had happened, they messaged me back with an apology and allowed me to return.

Atleast they were fair in the end.

Last edited by NASH = BEST : 02-23-2007 at 07:46 PM.
NASH = BEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #33
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASH = BEST
This last post proves my point! Why is it that the poster of this comment doesnt get banned for this, It clearly violates the "FRIENDLY" rule of ISH, yet nothing is going to be done about it!! Is it because it's a comment directed towards a poster that most disagree with? I hope it's not the case but it would seem that there is a double standard on this board.

I got banned for something alot smaller than this...
It was that one day that ISH was running kind of slow, we were all playing the "NBA team elimination game". I had copied the last post and submitted my votes in with it, by the time it went through, 4 other Laker fans had posted ahead of me. Since they had all voted against the Suns, My post had the un-Updated version and I was accused of cheating. I never got the chance to apologise cause I had been banned. The Mods pm'd me and had said that they had received around 10 complaints about me cheating on the thread (I assume all Laker fans). I pm'd them back and explained what had happened, the messaged me back with an apology and allowed me to return.

Atleast they were fair in the end.

if it makes you feel any better, i get banned plenty of times. the most recent being last sunday night/monday morning.
edit: oh, and my posts get deleted too. i just dont come back b*tching and moaning about it. your not special. jeff isnt out to "get you" quit being a drama queen.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #34
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

The reason people get banned....are you ready for this?

The problem is not about your rights, it's not about the moderators, it's not about the other posters, it's about YOU. If 80% of the general public disagrees with your opinion and thinks you're retarded, there's a good possiblity that you are retarded and your opinion is way off the wall.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #35
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
The reason people get banned....are you ready for this?

The problem is not about your rights, it's not about the moderators, it's not about the other posters, it's about YOU. If 80% of the general public disagrees with your opinion and thinks you're retarded, there's a good possiblity that you are retarded and your opinion is way off the wall.

99.9% of God followers thought that Galileo was retarded and that his ideas were "OFF THE WALL" just cause he proposed that the Earth revolved around the Sun. They took him to court and even threatened to burn him. It turns out that they were the retards and Galileo was right all along.

Okay, now explain to me why it is that if 80% of the "General Public" disagrees with you, you are considered a retard.

Last edited by NASH = BEST : 02-24-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #36
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banne

Quote:
99.9% of God followers thought that Galileo was retarded and that his ideas were "OFF THE WALL" just cause he proposed that the Earth revolved around the Sun. They took him to court and even threatened to burn him. It turns out that they were the retards and Galileo was right all along.

Okay, now explain to me why it is that if 80% of the "General Public" disagrees with you, you are considered a retard.

That's an absolutely ridiculous comparison. Are you saying that if someone came on here denying the Holocaust, you'd use this very same logic to defend it? Some arguments and opinions are just stupid and add nothing to the board.

Somewhere along the line, you'll discover the difference between reasonable discourse and trolling.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:43 AM   #37
NASH = BEST
On Campus Baby ; )

Default Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banne

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
That's an absolutely ridiculous comparison. Are you saying that if someone came on here denying the Holocaust, you'd use this very same logic to defend it? Some arguments and opinions are just stupid and add nothing to the board.

Somewhere along the line, you'll discover the difference between reasonable discourse and trolling.

That's an absolutely ridiculous comparison. Are you trying to compare the Holocaust to everyday basketball jargon? Some arguments and opinions are just stupid and add nothing to the board but the're still someones thoughts and beliefs so why deny them of their Freedom Of Speech?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:53 AM   #38
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
That's an absolutely ridiculous comparison. Are you trying to compare the Holocaust to everyday basketball jargon? Some arguments and opinions are just stupid and add nothing to the board but the're still someones thoughts and beliefs so why deny them of their Freedom Of Speech?

Um, I just used your exact logic against you. I'm glad you noticed it was ridiculous, though. You were the one trying to compare early scientific suppression to a basketball opinion. E.g., just because 90% of people think something is wrong, doesn't mean it is. Am I right in assuming that's what you meant?

Freedom of speech does not apply in a message board. You're essentially on private property. The moderators can do as they please. Being here is a privilege, not a right.

A moderator may remove certain posts because:

1) They fail to express anything besides an opinion. Especially if done so repeatedly.
2) They're foul mouthed.
3) They insult fellow posters.
4) General lack of IQ.
5) Poster is getting into a side argument that is dragging down the thread. E.g., any time a discussion about Kobe enters a topic when he's not relevant.
6) It's a completely off topic post or thread.
7) They criticize the moderators.

All are completely legitimate reasons to remove a post or ban a person. Hell, Jeff could just start banning people at random if he really wanted to. It's his website; he's free to do as he pleases. Of course that would end up harming him in the long run since it would diminish the community, but the point still stands.

If someone comes into your home and they're rude or obnoxious, would you not banish them from your home? Think of ISH as a home. You're invited to join in, but respect the house rules.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #39
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

You shouldn't even be here. Remember you're banned for 3 months?
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #40
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Thanks for proving my point. First, I'll disprove your logic.

Back in Galileo's times, people didn't have the technology that they do now. In fact, all they had to go by was paper. Paper is flat. Also, during that time, it wasn't "God-followers", it was the Roman Catholic church, which was extremely corrupted at the time. They were worshipping the Pope more than God.

In today's modern world, we have all kinds of ways to prove our point. That's why I said if the general public goes along with it, then most of the time it's true.

Now I understand why so many people hate you. You're an idiot.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: