Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default PFF's Top 5 and Bottom 5 by Position (Through Week 5)

Take this however you want to...some of it feels accurate to me, some of it doesn't

QB

Best
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tony Romo
3. Andrew Luck
4. Matt Ryan
5. Philip Rivers

Worst
1. EJ Manuel (1 is the worst, 2 is the 2nd worst etc)
2. Blaine Gabbert
3. Colin Kaepernick
4. Sam Bradford
5. Matt Schaub

RB

Best
1. LeSean McCoy
2. Darren Sproles
3. Jacquizz Rodgers
4. Frank Gore
5t. Danny Woodhead
5t. Giovani Bernard

Worst
1. CJ Spiller
2. Lamar Miller
3. Doug Martin
4. Ray Rice
5. Chris Johnson

FB

Best
1. Anthony Sherman
2. Collin Mooney
3. Bruce Miller
4. Mike Tolbert
5. Le'Ron McClain

Worst
1. Vonta Leach
2. Darrel Young
3. Frank Summers
4. Erik Lorig
5. Tony Fiammetta

WR

Best
1. Antonio Brown
2. Jordy Nelson
3. Demaryius Thomas
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5t. Alshon Jeffery
5t. Nate Washington

Worst
1. Keny Britt
2. Mike Wallace
3. Mohamed Sanu
4t. Greg Little
4t. Riley Cooper

TE

Best
1. Jordan Cameron
2. Jimmy Graham
3. Ben Hartstock
4. Antonio Gates
5. Tony Gonzalez

Worst
1. Brandon Myers
2. Jermaine Gresham
3. Allen Reisner
4. Jared Cook
5. Ed Dickson

OT

Best
1. Doug Free
2. Nate Solder
3t. Andrew Whitworth
3t. Sebastian Vollmer
5. Cordy Glenn

Worst
1. Sam Baker
2. Pat McQuistan
3t. Derek Newton
3t. Bryant McKinnie
5. Lamar Holmes

OG

Best
1. Evan “The GOAT” Mathis
2. Louis Vasquez
3. Korey Lichtensteiger
4. Larry Warford
5t. Ben Grubbs
5t. Justin Blalock

Worst
1. Colin Brown (lowest rated player on PFF, by far)
2. Oniel Cousins
3. Will Rackley
4. Lucas Nix
5. Vladimir Ducasse

C

Best
1. Chris Myers
2. Manuel Ramirez
3. Nick Hardwick
4. Ryan Kalil
5. Alex Mack

Worst
1. Gino Gradkowski
2. Robert Turner
3. Peter Konz
4. Nick Mangold
5. Max Unger

4-3 DE

Best
1. Robert Quinn
2. Michael Johnson
3t. DeMarcus Ware
3t. Michael Bennett
5. Greg Hardy

Worst
1. Daniel Te’o-Nesheim
2. Jason Babin
3. Tyson Alualu
4. Derek Wolfe
5. Shea McClellin

3-4 DE

Best
1. JJ Watt (highest rated player on PFF, by far)
2. Cameron Jordan
3. Corey Redding
4. Sheldon Richardson
5. Tyson Jackson

Worst
1. Kendall Reyes
2. Bennie Logan
3. Corey Liuget
4. Stephen Bowen
5. Alex Carrington

DT/NT

Best
1. Ndamukong Suh
2. Jurrell Casey
3. Gerald McCoy
4. Damon Harrison
5. Brandon Mebane

Worst
1. Domato Peko
2. Joe Vellano
3. Henry Melton
4. Earl Mitchell
5. Cam Thomas

4-3 OLB

Best
1. Russell Allen
2. DeAndre Levy
3. Lavonte David
4t. James Harrison
4t. Malcom Smith

Worst
1. Mark Herzlich
2. Bruce Carter
3t. Jerod Mayo
3t. Chad Greenway
5t. Jacquian Williams
5t. Zach Brown

3-4 OLB

Best
1. Justin Houston
2. Tamba Hali
3. Jabaal Sheard
4. Elvis Dumervil
5. Terrell Suggs

Worst
1. Brooks Reed
2. John Abraham
3. Quinton Coples
4. Erik Walden
5. Courtney Upshaw

MLB/ILB

Best
1. Brandon Spikes
2. Kiko Alonso
3. Luke Kuechly
4. Derrick Johnson
5. Akeem Jordan

Worst
1. Mychal Kendricks
2. London Fletcher
3. DeMeco Ryans
4. Moise Fokou
5. Kelvin Sheppard

CB

Best
1. Alterraun Verner
2. Darrelle Revis
3. Aqib Talib
4. Leon Hall
5t. Brent Grimes
5t. Sean Smith

Worst
1. Cortland Finnegan
2. Josh Robinson
3. Justin Rogers
4. Darius Slay
5. Dunta Robinson

S

Best
1. Devin McCourty
2t. Troy Polamalu
2t. James Ihedigbo
4. Eric Berry
5. Donte Hitner

Worst
1. John Cyprien
2. Major Wright
3. Bacarri Rambo
4. Earl Wolff
5. Jerron McMillian

K

Best
1. Matt Prater
2t. Justin Tucker
2t. Stephen Gostkowski
4. Dan Bailey
5. Greg Zuerlein

P

Best
1. Johnny Hekker
2. Shane Lechler
3. Sam Koch
4. Brad Nortma
5. Sam Martin
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PFF's Top 5 and Bottom 5 by Position (Through Week 5)

The QB list is awful, i stopped after that. Is it this year only? Not weighting even recent past? Brees, Rodgers? They die? Romo shouldn't be ahead of them, but i'll give that (i'd put him top 5 so its fine). It's arguable and arguable is ok. Rivers? Ryan? And the worst list is pretty awful too.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

I think out of all the positions, 3/4 OLB's and all defensive line and offensive linemen are judged pretty accurately.

I've seen them refer to yards per route for WR grades, which is highly debatable to how much that matters. Also, they seem to rate takeaways far less than I would for a defensive back.

One thing I feel pretty confident in for all grades is if you're on the bottom 5 for your position, you've played like sh!t. If you;re in the top five, you're playing very well.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How is this come about? How do they judge?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board

Muhammad Wilkerson is a top 5 3-4 DE.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
Muhammad Wilkerson is a top 5 3-4 DE.
Easily.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

He's probably in the top 10, they rave about him all the time.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He's 8th.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So, wait... John Hughes is no longer the 4th best 3-4 DE in the league? I'm confused... Then again, I was confused why he was there in the first place when he's a situational player who is barely on the field from week-to-week, but I sure as hell can't figure out what he did to drop off the list.

And, there's no doubt in my mind Phil Taylor has been one of the very best 3-4 NTs in the league this year.

Some things just don't pass the smell test and most of these rankings don't. I mean, most people don't follow every player on every team, but the glamor positions are even head-scratching.

I love Jordan Cameron, but he's not better than Jimmy Graham... And where's Julius Thomas?

Larry Fitzgerald has been quite mediocre this year, but he's ranked ahead of guys like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, etc? And, they're trying to tell me that Mike Wallace is a worse receiver than Greg freaking Little?

Drew Brees is not a Top 5 quarterback?

Peterson is not a Top 5 running back? Jacquizz Rodgers at No. 3? He's averaing 3.4 yards per carry and has 2 TDs in five games (three starts). He's also been OK in the passing game.

So, either he's the best blocking back of all-time, or...

Their rating systems make no sense to me, either. I've asked for an explanation several times and have yet to see one. They assign scores (like +2.07 or -1.13) after each game to every player in the league. How are these scores compiled? Is it based on something tangible or just arbitrary based on what they see?

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-11-2013 at 12:18 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It's based on what happened, not who the "best" player is. We all know Peterson is the best RB in the league - that doesn't mean he has played like it through the first 5 games.

Rankings will fluctuate throughout the year based on how players perform in their opinion.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/
Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
It's based on what happened, not who the "best" player is. We all know Peterson is the best RB in the league - that doesn't mean he has played like it through the first 5 games.

Rankings will fluctuate throughout the year based on how players perform in their opinion.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/
I know you value these guys' opinion and I do find the premise interesting. But, after reading the grading system, there is too much left open to interpretation for me. Maybe I'd like it better if they didn't include the whole point system stuff when they release the weekly ratings, because it makes it seem like they're approaching these evaluations on a very rigid quantitative technique, but it is actually qualitative.

What is their reasoning for having Jacquizz so high?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
scott0326
National High School Star

scott0326 has decent reputationscott0326 has decent reputation

Ben Hartsock is 3rd best TE? lol what?
scott0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Probably blitz pickup, lack of fumbles, lack of penalties and forcing missed tackles/yards after contact....and catching.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
scott0326
National High School Star

scott0326 has decent reputationscott0326 has decent reputation

I'm sure he is a really good blocker, the dude keeps getting picked up by teams for some reason and its definitely not due to his pass catching. Still though, 2 catches for 37 yards on season and he's a top 3 TE? And where is Julius Thomas ranked? Just wondering.
scott0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I think out of all the positions, 3/4 OLB's and all defensive line and offensive linemen are judged pretty accurately.

I've seen them refer to yards per route for WR grades, which is highly debatable to how much that matters. Also, they seem to rate takeaways far less than I would for a defensive back.

One thing I feel pretty confident in for all grades is if you're on the bottom 5 for your position, you've played like sh!t. If you;re in the top five, you're playing very well.
It looks like a change of scenery did not help Walden. In your opinion is he playing like the second worst OLB?
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: