Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Houston Rockets land in Manila, Philippines

We will make many references this week to how great Manila’s love for basketball is. The Philippines not only is nuts for hoops, it is a point of pride.

This is nothing new. It is why the NBA is here for the first-ever meeting of NBA teams in Manila on Wednesday. But I kind of liked the way the housekeeping guy at my hotel put it, so we will begin the week with him.

Seeing me working at the desk, my man Joel Quibilan put is well.

“We love basketball,” he said. “We can’t live without it.”

The first day in town was kept open for recovery from the trip to get here, save the Rockets practice held as soon as they could get from the plane to the Mall of Asia Arena.

- Houston Chronicle Blog
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Re: Houston Rockets land in Manila, Philippines

As often as the Rockets had heard of the great passion for basketball in The Philippines, they found that enthusiasm expressed differently than they had expected after other overseas trips.

They could not move unnoticed. When they were boarding busses near the Mall of Asia, fans were shrieking as if attending an early Beatles concert. But fans also kept their distance.

“It’s funny because the fans, they see you and they just walk behind you,” Rockets forward Chandler Parsons said. “They don’t really attack you. When me and Jeremy were in Taiwan, they are really in your face. (In Manila), they kind of circled around us. They just want to look at you and get a picture with you. They’re unbelievable.”

-- Houston Chronicle Blog
Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Re: Houston Rockets land in Manila, Philippines

The Rockets, however, had a plan. They ran their first play of the game to get Lin and open 3-pointer and he drilled it. Before long, Lin offered his full repertoire of highlights, from 3-pointers to drives to the rim, steals on one end and alley-oop dishes on the other, the Rockets led for all but a few moments on their way to a second-consecutive Global Games rout of the Pacers, 107-98.

“(Rockets assistant coach) Chris Finch said it’s all your birthdays rolled into one,” Lin said. “You got an and-one, you got a dunk, you got a block.’ The crowd. The environment. It was a little bit of everything.

“I was like, “Oh my God, everything is going my way.”

James Harden led the Rockets, as he has in each preseason game, with 21 points. Francisco Garcia, who had been out with a groin injury, turned back a Pacers second-half drive to within two, finishing with 15.

- Houston Chronicle
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: