Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Wavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this board
Default Job Interview

I have my first ever job interview for a sports marketing company at 2:30 and I am nervous as hell. I don't really have any experience in the workplace except for a seafood joint that I worked at for 6 months. Wouldn't even call that work though because I did absolutely nothing while I was there

I know the basics of how I should handle myself, try to be confident, dress well, sit straight, make eye contact and stuff. Any other tips that you guys can recommend would be great.
Wavves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
TheSilentKiller
5-time NBA All-Star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Job Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavves
I have my first ever job interview for a sports marketing company at 2:30 and I am nervous as hell. I don't really have any experience in the workplace except for a seafood joint that I worked at for 6 months. Wouldn't even call that work though because I did absolutely nothing while I was there

I know the basics of how I should handle myself, try to be confident, dress well, sit straight, make eye contact and stuff. Any other tips that you guys can recommend would be great.
Prepare good questions to ask them about their company. They will like that you have taken an interest and know a little about them.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dress properly, try to at least act calm, ask them questions about their company and the work atmosphere.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Kaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Don't say doin your wife, don't say doin your wife, don't say doin your wife!

Doin your......son?
Kaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Prepare good questions to ask them about their company. They will like that you have taken an interest and know a little about them.

Very good advice. Also just some basics:

1. Be nice to the receptionist.
2. Eye contact.
3. Turn your fucking phone off.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Wavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspah
Don't say doin your wife, don't say doin your wife, don't say doin your wife!

Doin your......son?
If I get a similar question, I'll be sure to have the same response

Asking questions is a good one, never really thought of that before. Thanks guys.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Raymone
The Chosen King

Raymone has an OK reputation so far

Do they even have sports in Australia?
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
No, none.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
What is this sports that you speak of?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
This is probably the best advice.

i would also say try to influence the direction of the interview, but dont force it.
I had one interview where the guys (it was a 2 on 1 interview) and me ended up talking about sports for half of it.

Alot of interviewing is about enduring yourself to your potential future employer. People want to work with people they like. Dont be afraid to let your personality shine through alittle, but don't force it. If it is obvious they have no interest in what you are interested in, just stay professional.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
ballup
Fool Disguised Genius

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Be sure to talk about anything in the posting and on your resume.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Awesome, thanks heaps for the tips guys. Hopefully I'm not as nervous leading up to it.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's completely normal to be nervous before an interview, especially before your first one. Interviewing is an acquired skill, you will get more comfortable and better at it as you progress in your career.
Most everything listed here is good advice. Remember to stay professional. Don't joke too much, even if you want to show you're nice. I would actually recommend staying away from jokes altogether, but it's up to you. Be on time, even though you'll probably have to wait to be interviewed. Last, but not least, be honest. If they ask you something you don't know, be open about it while stating your willingness to learn anything required. Good luck!
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Be funny. But not weird funny. Like normal people funny. Are you funny? If not don't try. Because it will come across as weird funny.

You're going to get asked shit like "Give me an example of...", whatever. Think of things to say in advance. Have you ever picked up the slack for someone else? Bring it up. Be confident. Go in with the attitude that if they don't hire you they're ****ing up.

But if you can make them laugh, make them like you, make them want to be someone they'd want to hang out with...you've won.

Last edited by ShannonElements : 11-05-2013 at 01:21 PM.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Check this out, it might come in handy.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: