Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
HoopsFanNumero1
College superstar

HoopsFanNumero1 has decent reputationHoopsFanNumero1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Which new smartphone do I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
For what reasons would you go Android over iPhone?

I don't really watch videos or game on my phone (so less or very little need for a large screen) and I haven't like in the past how some apps (social games, social apps, certain GPS apps) haven't been available on the Android market

I'm just used to Android now so I'm more productive with it.
- I use the file manager a lot,
- I can just connect it to any PC and use it as a USB storage
- It's more customizable. I don't like the home screen on iOS, which is basically just a grid of icons. Also, the fact that I can change default apps.

You mentioned you won't use it for media, so the only place a bigger screen will make a difference for you would be web browsing. Honestly, if none of this matters to you, go with the 5S. It's a solid package and is very well-built. The hardware design, UI, camera, it's a complete package. Not to mention, it's future proof since you're guaranteed to get software updates for a long time.
HoopsFanNumero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

Nexus 5.

Google is announcing it this week.
Doctor Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
For what reasons would you go Android over iPhone?

I don't really watch videos or game on my phone (so less or very little need for a large screen) and I haven't like in the past how some apps (social games, social apps, certain GPS apps) haven't been available on the Android market

You're not asking about which phone, but which OS/environment is better.

I know three guys who work on phone stores and they use the HTC One.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Really it sounds like you would be fine with any of the new flagship phones that are out. I use the phone about the same as you it sounds like and I've been happy with my Windows Lumia 920 (great cams on these phones), but I cracked my screen over the weekend and have to shop around. Think I'll go with the One, but hoping to get some good info from others in this thread.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1

- It's more customizable. I don't like the home screen on iOS, which is basically just a grid of icons. Also, the fact that I can change default apps.

You mentioned you won't use it for media, so the only place a bigger screen will make a difference for you would be web browsing. Honestly, if none of this matters to you, go with the 5S. It's a solid package and is very well-built. The hardware design, UI, camera, it's a complete package. Not to mention, it's future proof since you're guaranteed to get software updates for a long time.

I didn't want to mention this, as to keep away the iHaters away.... but I'm on a MacBook so the iPhone would have the advantage in the ease of connectivity

Thats the one thing that has lacked with my Galaxy in the past. It has been a hassle to connect with and move files among my phone and my laptop
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
You're not asking about which phone, but which OS/environment is better.

I know three guys who work on phone stores and they use the HTC One.

Thats both true and not true.... I suppose the first question is iPhone vs. Android, and the from there if I go with Android its what kind of Android phone I would want to get.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

As of now, thats the way I'm leaning... for the reasons you mentioned, as well as the App market, and the ease of connection with my MacBook.... but given my positive experience in the past with the Samsung brand, as well as my familiarity with Android and the Google-brand web services I'm not quite ready to make the jump.

Hence the OP
Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Doctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat coolDoctor Rivers is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
Nexus 5.

nvm I just read that you're switching to the big red so the Nexus is out of the question.

If you're well entrenched in the Google ecosystem it might be best to stick with Android. The HTC One is generally considered to be slightly better than the Galaxy S4, but you can't go wrong wither way. I wouldn't worry too much about the updates--the S4 is slated to be updated to 4.3 within the next month. The iPhone definitely gets iOS updates in a more timely manner but I feel that advantage can be mitigated by the increased hardware requirements.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
HoopsFanNumero1
College superstar

HoopsFanNumero1 has decent reputationHoopsFanNumero1 has decent reputation

Quote:
nvm I just read that you're switching to the big red so the Nexus is out of the question.

If you're well entrenched in the Google ecosystem it might be best to stick with Android. The HTC One is generally considered to be slightly better than the Galaxy S4, but you can't go wrong wither way. I wouldn't worry too much about the updates--the S4 is slated to be updated to 4.3 within the next month. The iPhone definitely gets iOS updates in a more timely manner but I feel that advantage can be mitigated by the increased hardware requirements.

Google has most of their apps available on iOS as well, so I don't think that's too big of a deal.
HoopsFanNumero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
aj1987
MH!

aj1987 is considered somewhat coolaj1987 is considered somewhat coolaj1987 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Okay.... so "looks" and "power" sounds good... but what exactly does that mean?

As for battery I charge it overnight, every single night, so that really shouldn't be an issue for me in 2013
The phone is completely made of aluminum (except the glass screen, obviously). It looks and also feels like a high end phone when you hold it. The speakers are incredible. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. It has the highest resolution among the current phones, if I'm not mistaken. By power, I mean that it can handle any app/game without any issue. The camera on the One is pretty good as well. Not the best, but gets the job done.

Quote:
I didn't want to mention this, as to keep away the iHaters away.... but I'm on a MacBook so the iPhone would have the advantage in the ease of connectivity

Thats the one thing that has lacked with my Galaxy in the past. It has been a hassle to connect with and move files among my phone and my laptop
I've used 2 iPhones and 2 Android phones in the last one year. I love the iPhone over the Galaxy line phones, but the HTC One is MUCH better than the 5 (haven't used the 5s/5c). Connecting the One to your MacBook isn't an issue. I use one a MBP as well and it works well with my One.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #26
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't have a lot of experience with other phones, but I really like my HTC ONe.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #27
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you're not going with an Iphone go with an HTC One. Samsungs are garbage.

Btw… what were the reasons your people told you NOT to get an iPhone, just wondering.

Also, it isn't just game apps that are exclusive or come first to iOS, there's many many many that are either exclusive or first on the iPhone. And even the apps that are ported over to Droid are bad versions in almost every way. From performance, look and feel, some of the functions/features don't work or aren't available on Android. But more importantly, they get updated for iOS much sooner, if they ever update an Android version.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #28
Doctor Rivers
Good college starter

Quote:
Google has most of their apps available on iOS as well, so I don't think that's too big of a deal.

Oh yeah the gap between Android and iOS with app offerings isn't really an issue today (quality of those apps is another issue), but I meant it more in terms of someone being invested in all the Google services (Gmail, Calendar, Drive etc.) trying to move over to the iOS counterparts.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Nexus 5.

this. wait a few days.

htc one is pretty damn nice too, that's what i'm using right now but i'll probably switch to the nexus next week.(i also use it in conjunction with my MBA, but i'm replacing that with an acer s7 today)

Last edited by rezznor : 10-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
General
High School Varsity 12th Man

General is starting to rub some people the wrong wayGeneral is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I would recommend getting the Nokia Lumia 925. It's basically a Lumia 920 but much thinner and lighter. Looks great too.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: