Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Default Re: Pride 33

Aside from what's going on in the WW division, I have no desire for anything else in the UFC.

Cro Cop is gonna steamroll through everyone.

Chuck has noone to fight except for a hyped fight against Rampage which isn't even very exciting to me.

185 is thin. I like Marquadt cause he's a team Jackson guy (I'm from Albuquerque) but comes on, that div is thin.

155 is boring. It's like the Charlotte Bobcats of the UFC. A division created and just given guys, nothing really competitive.

I'm a sucker for hype and UFC has made me waste alot of money on hype cards that didn't deliver. Hopefully it shapes up by mid year like last years UFC cards did, but as of right now I'm not too stoked about what they have coming up. It's all hype.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Diaz didn't win a belt, it was a non-title fight. Typical protection of their paper champs.

Diaz has never fought in Pride or even at 160. He didn't deserve a title shot. This was pretty much just so they could get an American people had heard of against Gomi.

That said, there was no excuse for Aurelio and Ishida. Those should have been title fights.

I'm kinda torn though. While Gomi-Diaz 2 should be awesome (why don't you train this time Gomi, you fat bastard), we won't get Gomi-Melendez, which was probably gonna be for the title here. Oh well.

Quote:
The UFC is loading up before they really start offering some amazing cards in my opinion. They have to honour their GSP/Serra match, they're trying to get Mirko Filipovic the Heavyweight Belt, Sean Sherk has to recover from his torn rotator cuff, which should be ready within a month or two I think.

There is absolutely nothing in UFC LW that excites me. Sherk's elf wrestling is boring but unstoppable in the cage. There is not a single HW who can challenge Crocop. There is not a single LHW besides Rampage who can challenge Chuck (but I believe Rashad will be able to soon). There's only like two guys who'd even give a challenge to Silva. And now it looks like 170 is just gonna be all GSP. Unless a fluke fight happens, I don't think anybody is gonna lose their title (except Sylvia, obviously) this year. And they lost their best young American, Vera. Guys like Keith Jardine and Mike Bisping don't really make up for that.

This event was great for Pride because it just blew the doors wide open. We could see a Hendo/Shogun/Arona/Nog/Silva war for the belt. Gomi/Aoki/Sakurai/Diaz/Melendez/Hansen/Kawajiri all have a shot at the GP. If Hendo loses against Shogun, you've got Hendo/Filho/Kang/Misaki for the belt. The only real dull division is HW, but it's Fedor, so I'm not gonna complain.

I usually hate Pride's matchmaking, but their sh!tty cards just always have a way of turning out to be the most exciting. I can't criticize them anymore if this is what happens.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
Aside from what's going on in the WW division, I have no desire for anything else in the UFC.

Cro Cop is gonna steamroll through everyone.

Chuck has noone to fight except for a hyped fight against Rampage which isn't even very exciting to me.

185 is thin. I like Marquadt cause he's a team Jackson guy (I'm from Albuquerque) but comes on, that div is thin.

155 is boring. It's like the Charlotte Bobcats of the UFC. A division created

Am I the only one excited about Werdum going to the UFC? Guy has the best BJJ in MMA, even Big Nog said as much. Tapped Aleksander, Overeem, Zentsov, and pounded Gonzaga. Werdum-Arlovski, Werdum-Cro Cop, Werdum-Sylvia, Cro Cop-Arlovski, Cro Cop-Sylvia. Five fights in that division I'm excited to see after not giving a **** since Sylvia-AA 3.

As to LW, Penn-Sherk-Guillard-Stevenson-Fisher-Franca. They aren't the greatest of guys, and they match up poorly compared to Pride's elite, but they pretty much all give exciting fights.

I agree with you about MW, thinnest division in MMA.

UFC's LHW is getting interesting to me. Evans is coming up, you still have Babalu and Ortiz to act as gate-keepers, Jardine just made the TUF poster-boy cry, Machida is a beast and soon everyone will recognize it, Bisping has a lot of potential, Chuck is an old man and an't hang onto the belt forever.

UFC cards have sucked in the past, I agree, but it looks like their making a legitimate push to achieve parity in talent with Pride. Screw UFC 68/69 though, Couture-Serra-Lytle-McDonald getting murdered by Miletich and a Canadian? no thanks.

Last edited by Zombles : 02-25-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #19
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Am I the only one excited about Werdum going to the UFC? Guy has the best BJJ in MMA, even Big Nog said as much. Tapped Aleksander, Overeem Zentsov, and pounded Gonzaga. Werdum-Arlovski, Werdum-Cro Cop, Werdum-Sylvia, Cro Cop-Arlovski, Cro Cop-Sylvia. Five fights in that division I'm excited to see after not giving a **** since Sylvia-AA 3.
Don't forget about Couture.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #20
goldgrill4me
Banned

ufc 70 looks like a pretty solid card to me......

crocop vs. gonzaga
arvloski vs. werdum
machida vs. griffin
bisping vs. sinosic
assuerio silva vs. kongo
ortiz vs. tba i would imagine either evans or jardine
goldgrill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #21
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

I was reading Sherdog earlier and there was a thread that said Wanderlei Silva was very sick, and was actually in the hospital prior to the fight against Dan Henderson. It could be the reason for the subpar performance, but I don't think it was actually confirmed yet, so take it for what it's worth.

If that were the case, would they give the shot to Shogun or Silva?

I'm still pumped for future UFC cards, mainly because Georges St. Pierre is by far my favourite fighter. I've been following him for a while, and I can't wait til he starts rolling through some of these top notch guys. After Matt Serra, I get to see some really good matchups. He's been dominating the best of the best lately, so we'll see what happens, I don't think he can be stopped.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #22
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Silva needs to go to the UFC. Shoguns time is now.

Silva needs to go fight Chuck. That's still the fight I wanna see the most.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #23
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Oh, and aside from Diego, I still can't take the TUF guys seriously.

Rashad? Why? Cause he had a nice KO over a nobody?

That's one of the things that upsets me about the UFC. They got all these great fighters, but do they pit them up against eachother? Nope.

Pride does it too, but UFC does it more.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #24
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Oh, and aside from Diego, I still can't take the TUF guys seriously.

That's one of the things that upsets me about the UFC. They got all these great fighters, but do they pit them up against eachother? Nope.

Pride does it too, but UFC does it more.

Yes, that gets annoying when they put them against guys who are clearly no match (Sean Salmon). However, it seems there starting to put them against each other (Jardine vs Griffin). I dislike pretty much all the TUF fighters except Forrest Griffin and Michael Bisping.

I want to see Takanori Gomi versus Georges St. Pierre. St. Pierre has said before that he would like to fight Gomi, and before the Diaz fight, Gomi said that he wants GSP, Hughes and Penn. I would love to see GSP absolutely dominate and outclass Gomi, too much fun.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #25
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Yes, that gets annoying when they put them against guys who are clearly no match (Sean Salmon). However, it seems there starting to put them against each other (Jardine vs Griffin). I dislike pretty much all the TUF fighters except Forrest Griffin and Michael Bisping.

I want to see Takanori Gomi versus Georges St. Pierre. St. Pierre has said before that he would like to fight Gomi, and before the Diaz fight, Gomi said that he wants GSP, Hughes and Penn. I would love to see GSP absolutely dominate and outclass Gomi, too much fun.

They put Forrest up against Jardine cause they felt Griffin would win that one, fairly easily. Didn't happen. Now UFC is taking it easy.

Matt Hughes VS Chris Lyttle in the most stacked division in all of MMA? WOW.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #26
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
They put Forrest up against Jardine cause they felt Griffin would win that one, fairly easily. Didn't happen. Now UFC is taking it easy.

Matt Hughes VS Chris Lyttle in the most stacked division in all of MMA? WOW.

I know, they were setting that fight to pump Forrest up and it backfired.

I'm not sure why Hughes is getting Chris Lyttle, I guess they want to give him a 'guarenteed' win. If he were to get dominated by Georges St. Pierre and then lose again to someone like Diego Sanchez, it would be crushing for his career. I think Dana White and the UFC want him around the top, though I could care a less cause I hate Matt Hughes.

There are better matchups, I'm not sure why they don't just give the huge matchups all the time. It doesn't make sense to me, but clearly there is some complicated business decisions behind it. You could have a great card just from the 170 Division in the UFC.

GSP vs Serra, Koscheck vs Sanchez, Fitch vs Hughes, Karo vs Penn

Throw the names in a hat, pull them out and you have 4 good fights. I'm not sure why they waste time with someone like Chris Lyttle, doesn't make sense to me, but I suspect it's just them protecting Matt Hughes.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #27
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Exactly. I would love to see a UFC WW tournament.

I don't think GSP is leaving the top for awhile though. Only thing with him is if he can stay healthy. Lately he seems to be very injury prone.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #28
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Exactly. I would love to see a UFC WW tournament.

I don't think GSP is leaving the top for awhile though. Only thing with him is if he can stay healthy. Lately he seems to be very injury prone.

A tournament would be amazing, especially for that division cause it's very stacked and pretty even with 8 quality fighters. I highly doubt anything like that would ever happen though, it's all about maximizing the profits, and I can't see White wanting to use all these huge fights so fast.

GSP isn't going to lose the belt for a really long time, I think he's going to have a really long run as champion. However, that could be my extreme bias towards him. I just don't see anyone who matches up with him - he's a big 170, he's already talked about moving up to 185 when he gets done with 170. He has great stand up in my opinion, he has very good take down defense, has great ground and pound and is solid on the ground. I don't see anyone beating Rush.

I think he overtrains a bit maybe, but I don't think his durability is a question. I just think he refuses to fight injured, which is smart in my opinion. Why risk your title to an inferior fighter because you aren't ready. He fought at UFC 46,48,50,52,54,56,58 with a fight in TKO 19 in between UFC 50 and 52, so clearly he can keep healthy for long periods while fighting. I think it's just been a little freak occurance, I think he'll be ready to go after he runs through Matt Serra.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #29
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Am I the only one excited about Werdum going to the UFC?

Werdum is really good, but for obvious reasons, he probably won't ever fight Crocop, not that he'd win anyways. Which leads me to believe even more that Crocop will just stay in UFC for a year or two and then let Werdum be the champ.

Quote:
I would love to see GSP absolutely dominate and outclass Gomi, too much fun.

Not to down your hopes, but GSP vs. Gomi would just kinda go like Trigg vs. Misaki. GSP couldn't even beat Penn standing, he sure as hell isn't gonna crush Gomi standing. The only way GSP could beat him is to just use his size advantage and get on top of him.

Quote:

No, because he has all the tools. He could be a new and improved Tito. Better striking, just as good wrestling, and he's smaller, quicker, and has a much, much smaller head, so he's less likely to get KTFO.

I like Bisping, but he just ain't as good, and Griffin/Jardine/Bonnar is just blah.

I hope Din Thomas still has a little in the tank, because he could still have some big fights at LW in him.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #30
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
Not to down your hopes, but GSP vs. Gomi would just kinda go like Trigg vs. Misaki. GSP couldn't even beat Penn standing, he sure as hell isn't gonna crush Gomi standing. The only way GSP could beat him is to just use his size advantage and get on top of him.

The only reason BJ Penn was even in that fight was because he poked GSP in the eye and then busted his nose open with that stupid uppercut that barely connected. After GSP got his vision back, he dominated. Without those two freak things, GSP defeats Penn unanimously. He did okay even with the impaired vision and busted up nose.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: