Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #31
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Default Re: Pride 33

Personally I don't think Gomi has a chance against GSP. He's a huge WW. His size and strength would be too much for Gomi.

Gomis great, but he's great at 160.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #32
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Quote:
The only reason BJ Penn was even in that fight was because he poked GSP in the eye and then busted his nose open with that stupid uppercut that barely connected. After GSP got his vision back, he dominated. Without those two freak things, GSP defeats Penn unanimously. He did okay even with the impaired vision and busted up nose.

So how do GSP's balls taste?

GSP is a good striker. Gomi is a great striker. He absolutely tooled Pulver and Sakurai. Even though he was drunk/poisoned/off his roids/whatever against Diaz, he still got the only knockdown of the fight. He's like a LW Mark Hunt. Always in a fight because of those stones he's got for hands, and unknockoutable.

If GSP wanted to put Gomi away, he'd just get him down and stay on him. Pretty easy win. He'd have to be retarded to let Gomi throw bolos at him all night.

If anything, GSP versus Aoki would be better. Aoki is an even better MMA grappler than BJ IMO. I can't wait for him and his fruity pants to put some flying 720 twisting kimura or whatever on Gomi.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #33
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs

GSP is a good striker. Gomi is a great striker. He absolutely tooled Pulver and Sakurai. Even though he was drunk/poisoned/off his roids/whatever against Diaz, he still got the only knockdown of the fight. He's like a LW Mark Hunt. Always in a fight because of those stones he's got for hands, and unknockoutable.

If GSP wanted to put Gomi away, he'd just get him down and stay on him. Pretty easy win. He'd have to be retarded to let Gomi throw bolos at him all night.

If anything, GSP versus Aoki would be better. Aoki is an even better MMA grappler than BJ IMO. I can't wait for him and his fruity pants to put some flying 720 twisting kimura or whatever on Gomi.

Gomi a LW Mark Hunt? You gotta be kidding. His striking is great, but on the same level as GSP's. GSP is at the top of the game at that weight, having beaten the top guys.

Gomi's good too, but he has not fought the level of fighters GSP has. Guys that GSP has beaten that would give Gomi a good fight and most likely a loss include Matt Hughes, BJ Penn (who already has a win over Gomi), Sean Sherk, Mayhem, & Karo Parisyan.

Gomi's kind of been protected by Pride. While GSP had a tough road to the title. A very tough road.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #34
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:

You can say I'm riding his nuts, I don't really care. BJ Penn is the biggest threat to GSP and his title in my opinion, and despite having the worst circumstances (eye poke, gushing nose on fluke punch) he still dominated the last two rounds. If those two things don't happen, I don't think Penn can hang with GSP.

GSP has beaten everyone notable in the 170 WW Division, and done it in very impressive fashion in most cases (Hughes 2, Sherk, Trigg). He flat out dominated Matt Hughes when he won the title. Now, after Gomi loses to Nick Diaz, I have a hard time believing that GSP wouldn't just run right through him too. He has the striking and power to overwhelm nearly anyone.

GSP is a monster at the Welterweight division, call it riding his nuts, I don't see anyone who will beat him for a very long time. He improves every match, noticeable improvements everytime, he's a sick athlete, yes, GSP is a beast.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #35
D-Wade
Great college starter

Dam why i look at these results not catched the show yet little late i guess lol. Wanderlei loss whats that 2 in a row now?.
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #36
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Gomi a LW Mark Hunt? You gotta be kidding. His striking is great, but on the same level as GSP's. GSP is at the top of the game at that weight, having beaten the top guys.

Honestly, I don't think you've been watching Gomi for very long. The guy has elevated his striking to the point where he is at a Chuck-level. How do you think he's been winning all this time even though he sucks at subs and doesn't even do GNP anymore?

Quote:
Gomi's good too, but he has not fought the level of fighters GSP has. Guys that GSP has beaten that would give Gomi a good fight and most likely a loss include Matt Hughes, BJ Penn (who already has a win over Gomi), Sean Sherk, Mayhem, & Karo Parisyan.

Gomi's kind of been protected by Pride. While GSP had a tough road to the title. A very tough road.

Are you on crack? He's been protected lately, but he has beaten some star guys at LW. Kawajiri was actually probably the favorite amongst most MMA heads in their match. He just tooled Sakurai, still one of the best P4P in the game. He just dominated Pulver on his feet, back when Pulver was supposedly one of the absolute best strikers in MMA. Note how none of those guys you mentioned GSP beating are considered better than "good" strikers.

GSP is a very good striker. But he doesn't win by dominating people on his feet like a Gomi does. He does it with his all-around game. I don't think you are listening to me here: GSP would beat Gomi. He is just too big for him and would not be stupid enough to just stand and trade with him all night. But if you think GSP's striking is on the same level with Gomi's, you've been smoking some good sh!t.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #37
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
GSP is a very good striker. But he doesn't win by dominating people on his feet like a Gomi does. He does it with his all-around game. I don't think you are listening to me here: GSP would beat Gomi. He is just too big for him and would not be stupid enough to just stand and trade with him all night. But if you think GSP's striking is on the same level with Gomi's, you've been smoking some good sh!t.

GSP is a good striker, nothing more, people need to stop riding his nuts. The UFC WW division does not have one great striker and GSP got boxed to **** fighting Penn. Yeah, he took a shot to the eye and an uppercut that broke his nose, but beyond that GSP was eating some good shots, getting beaten to the punch on most exchanges, and eating a ton of jabs from Penn.

Gomi meanwhile is by far the best striker at LW, and his sloppy, put your head down, only throw looping hooks, keep your hands at your waste, be fat and drunk, boxing style still nearly beat Nick Diaz. Besides that he KTFO Pulver and Sakurai, who has GSP ever finished on his feet?

Quote:
Werdum is really good, but for obvious reasons, he probably won't ever fight Crocop, not that he'd win anyways. Which leads me to believe even more that Crocop will just stay in UFC for a year or two and then let Werdum be the champ.

Werdum and Cro Cop no longer train together and said that they would have fought each other if they met in the Pride OWGP, so I'm hoping that feeling remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
They put Forrest up against Jardine cause they felt Griffin would win that one, fairly easily. Didn't happen. Now UFC is taking it easy.

By feeding Griffin to the best striker in that division outside of Chuck? Machida is gonna tear that boy up.

Say what you want about the UFC but they really don't protect their poster boys. Unless you feel giving Hughes Penn/GSP back-to-back, Franklin-Silva, Sylvia-AA-Cro Cop, and going out and signing the only man Chuck still hasn't avenged a loss to is protection.

They do whatever makes them money. Sometimes it means giving Hughes a Lytle on the comeback trail, sometimes it means feeding a 43 year old man to a monster striker.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #38
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

All I know is that I heard rumors in the days leading up to the event that Gomi would be pulling out or was injured/hurt/sick enough to pull out.

Take that for whatever it is worth.

Doesn't really matter since there will be a rematch and this is a situation in which I think everyone would like to see the two guys fight again.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #39
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Besides that he KTFO Pulver and Sakurai, who has GSP ever finished on his feet?

Watch out, somebody might come and say that Matt Hughes is some great striker or something now.

Quote:
All I know is that I heard rumors in the days leading up to the event that Gomi would be pulling out or was injured/hurt/sick enough to pull out.

That would make sense. Both him and Wandy just never looked like themselves. Word is Wandy had some serious strep throat or something, and if Gomi had the flu or something it would explain his cardio being gone.

Nog however, just utterly sucked and no ailment is an excuse for that. I think he just took Ricky Williams too lightly.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #40
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
who has GSP ever finished on his feet?

...Matt Hughes by head kick to win the title?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #41
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
That would make sense. Both him and Wandy just never looked like themselves. Word is Wandy had some serious strep throat or something, and if Gomi had the flu or something it would explain his cardio being gone.
Yeah, I heard that about Wand too. But that was after the fight and not from him. It was from Sakikibara.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #42
Kujo
National High School Star

Pride 33 was the best MMA event I've probably ever seen up to this point. I enjoyed it way more than any recent UFC event. I totally forgot it was on Saturday night, so I had to download the event, and I watched yesterday afternoon.

This was my second time seeing Gomi fight, and I was shocked how unprepared, and sloppy he was. He was gassed after the first round. It was obvious that he didn't train really train for the fight, and it didn't take it seriously because it was non title fight (EDIT: Just read about the rumors of him being hurt or sick or whatever. Hope that's the case). That being said, it's early contender for fight of the year.

Whenever the Gomi/Diaz 2 happens in Japan, I'll look forward that fight. Gomi has to redeem himself.

Silva was apparently sick, and it really showed. He didn't look the beast I've seen in those highlight films.

Seeing the Cameroon Sokoudjou fighter knock out Nogueira in seconds was a shocker. A very impressive debut. Look forward to seeing this fighter again in the future.

It was funny how much of this event was hyped up as a Pride vs UFC fighter showcase, and all the Pride fighters ending up loosing. I can see how some people would think that Pride would be bittersweet about the results.

My only nitpick is change in the rules due to the event be in Vegas. It didn't really effect the event, but it would have been great seeing those fights with full PRIDE rules. I wanted to see some foot stomps damn it!

Last edited by Kujo : 02-26-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #43
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

I read a rumour that Nick Diaz will be fighting Takanori Gomi for the title in April, back in Japan under PRIDE rules. It should be interesting to see what happens in the rematch, I hope Diaz wins but it's really tough to get two wins over someone back to back. I'd have a tough time going against him though, I picked him the first time, and he really picked Gomi apart.

On another note, Nick Diaz had some nasty cuts on his face. He was really pressing the fight hard, because I suspect if it went any longer, one or two more shots by Gomi and it would have been stopped by referee stoppage. I took this from sherdog, so ignore the 'pro-Gomi' excuses on the side of the picture, pretty tough to fight through that though. Nick Diaz is a beast.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #44
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Dana White: "I'll have Fedor someday"
Source: http://www.nbcsports.com/ufc/1122785/detail.html

Quote:
Fighting words
White: "I'll have Fedor someday"
By Mike Chiappetta
NBCSports.com
Posted: Feb.26, 2007, 4:08 pm EST

The UFC freight train to success keeps on rolling ahead. The next stop on the ride is Columbus, Ohio, were the organization is expecting its largest audience ever, as almost 19,000 fans will pack the Nationwide Arena on Saturday, March 3 to see a card headlined by the return of "The Natural" Randy Couture, as he challenges UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia.

But the heavyweight division that has suddenly been inundated with the return of Couture, the arrival of Mirko Cro Cop and the acquisition of Fabricio Werdrum could someday soon boast the man who is considered by many to be the best in the world: Fedor Emelianenko.

"I'm after all the best fighters in the world…," he said. "I'll have Fedor someday."

The Russian mixed martial artist reportedly signed a one-fight deal with Bodog, and is scheduled to take on Matt Lindland on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. He reportedly extended his current deal with PRIDE in January, but the Japan-based organization has had financial difficulties after losing its TV deal last year.

White's comment on the PRIDE heavyweight champ was one among many that highlighted the explosive growth of the UFC, as he reiterated time and again that he is targeting all of the world's best fighters to join his group.

"I'm going to get them all," he said. "I'm getting everybody; they're all going to be with us."

Just days after PRIDE put on what was roundly praised as an excellent fight card in Las Vegas, White asserted UFC's supremacy in the US and around the world.

"What's happening now, is that with us going international now, and going after that talent, Tim [Sylvia] is finally in a position where a lot of those questions are going to be answered," White said. "A lot of people think that the mystique over in Japan, they're bigger, better, making more money. All of it's bull----. It's all a big myth and now we're in a place where we can prove it. Look at Nick Diaz… Diaz was cut by us because he lost so many times and he just beat Gomi who everyone thought was unstoppable and the best guy in that weight division. Not only did Nick Diaz beat him, but BJ Penn destroyed him."

He also shot back against PRIDE claims that UFC backed down in matching up its light-heayvweight champ Chuck Liddell with PRIDE's Wanderlei Silva, a longtime middleweight champ until losing last Saturday to Dan Henderson.

"I've been trying to make that Wanderlei Silva fight for Chuck for years," he said. "And that got these goofs running around saying I wouldn't make the fight and I'm the reason it won't happen. That's bull----. I've always been willing to prove we have the best fighters in the world. Now it's unfolding anyway. It's happening."

It appears that even though that's a fight White has talked about for years, it likely won't happen now with Silva having lost two straight fights.

"I'm pissed off he didn't lose to Chuck," White said. "They threw away the biggest fight in MMA history. Not only are they No. 2, they're not the brightest bulbs on the porch, either."

The two organizations have been locked in a war of words lately, with PRIDE declaring its global dominance at its most recent show, a declaration Randy Couture took exception to.

"I was at the event and they took several shots at the UFC," Couture said. "I think if you have to tell everybody that you have the best fighters in the world, then you probably don't."

Some interesting comments, thought the people who are interested in MMA may find it interesting.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #45
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Nick Diaz post fight, 16 stitches, seems Gomi hits hard.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: