Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Redskins now gonna be the Bravehearts?

http://www.tmz.com/2013/10/25/washin...-mardirossian/

if true that's pretty lame.
DukeDelonte13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
RoundMoundOfReb
Top 1 NBA/NFL Mind

RoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Redskins now gonna be the Bravehearts?

Lame
RoundMoundOfReb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
MavsSuperFan
NBA rookie of the year

MavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputation

More lame than using a racial slur as a team name?

Look I know almost 100% of the time in 2013 redskin fans dont mean redskin as a slur, but study a little of our history. American soldiers meant redskins as a slur for native americans. considering the historical context of the word and what white people did to native Americans (genocide is worse than slavery, which is already unimaginably evil), I dont even see how this is a debate.

Eg. "lets scalp some redskins"

The only reason this is a debate is native american populations have been depleted to the extent that they are too small a portion of the population to do anything.

Last edited by MavsSuperFan : 10-25-2013 at 01:00 PM.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

They are going to have to change the name, that much is clear. The fact they have tradition, etc. doesn't excuse having a name which is a slur. The funniest thing i think is people who talk about the cost to the Redskins, etc. because they are going to make an utter crapload of money getting everyone to buy new jerseys, etc.

(Note: I hear fans get all up in arms, it has NOTHING to do with you at all, with your love of your team, with how cool your team is, your team's history, etc. They have a name that's offensive to some and that's not something football wants or needs to deal with for any reason. People argue sometime like people are saying they are racist.)

If the "Bravehearts" win a super bowl everyone will be happy and dancing and not give a shit the name changed. Plus think of all the cool Mel Gibson references you can make.

Last edited by niko : 10-25-2013 at 02:32 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
More lame than using a racial slur as a team name?

Look I know almost 100% of the time in 2013 redskin fans dont mean redskin as a slur, but study a little of our history. American soldiers meant redskins as a slur for native americans. considering the historical context of the word and what white people did to native Americans (genocide is worse than slavery, which is already unimaginably evil), I dont even see how this is a debate.

Eg. "lets scalp some redskins"

The only reason this is a debate is native american populations have been depleted to the extent that they are too small a portion of the population to do anything.

Who gives a shit? I can't stand all the press this issue receives because it's a god damn sports franchise. There's nothing even racist about the name Washington has used but people like you just argue for the sake of it.

Just because they named their franchise the Redskins it doesn't correlate to the killing of native americans.. Only liberals like you will twist the name and give it a impractical meaning.

If anything just name the team "Skins" kinda like how the Tampa Bay Rays.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer

Who gives a shit? I can't stand all the press this issue receives because it's a god damn sports franchise. There's nothing even racist about the name Washington has used but people like you just argue for the sake of it.

Just because they named their franchise the Redskins it doesn't correlate to the killing of native americans.. Only liberals like you will twist the name and give it a impractical meaning.

Redskins is a slur. They weren't using it as a slur but it is a slur. Why would the NFL want one of their team names to be a slur?

Is it a huge deal? No. But that doesn't mean it should be ignored and left alone forever. I'm not feeling the argument that a football team's name HAS to be left a slur because it's fans will miss it too much.

Essentially if it's such a "who gives a shit" thing, then you change the name.

Last edited by niko : 10-25-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If it were up to me it would remain "Redskins"...that is what I grew up with and I would like to keep it the way I remember it...

but due to the fact that it is a certainty that it will change, I would like something better than "Bravehearts"... All that name does is make me think of the movie Braveheart, which has nothing to do with Native Americans...

"Washington Warriors"
"Reds"
"Redhawks"

or

"Cherokees"
"Indians"
"Braves" without the "heart"
etc
etc

there are many better choices available IMO
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
If it were up to me it would remain "Redskins"...that is what I grew up with and I would like to keep it the way I remember it...

but due to the fact that it is a certainty that it will change, I would like something better than "Bravehearts"... All that name does is make me think of the movie Braveheart, which has nothing to do with Native Americans...

"Washington Warriors"
"Reds"
"Redhawks"

or

"Cherokees"
"Indians"
"Braves" without the "heart"
etc
etc

there are many better choices available IMO

I prefer something like RED SUCK
Old 10-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
There's nothing even racist about the name Washington has used but people like you just argue for the sake of it.
The team fans aren't being racists when they say it but anyone that knows the etymology of the term knows that it was first spouted by racists that wanted to be insulting. There are indians out there that are offended by it and out of respect for their feelings and what their people were put through by the people that called them that word changing the name is a good idea.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
MavsSuperFan
NBA rookie of the year

MavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputationMavsSuperFan has a terrific reputation

Quote:

i have already said that I dont think people in 2013 use the name redskins, and mean any harm. Most people are probably ignorant of the horrific crimes our government and previous white governments have committed on native americans. Everything from forced assimilation, forced removal from their homelands and placing them on reservations, breaking treaties, even sterilization policies. the american government even ordered railways constructed specifically to transport our soldiers to hunt bison till extinction, in an attempt to remove a resource from the natives.

George Washington ordering the Gnadenhutten massacre
The Indian Removal Act of 1830 causing the trail of tears
Andrew Jackson and his policies towards natives.

The list is almost endless.

Although during the 19th century western scholars estimated the pre-columbian native population at about 10 million people, modern scholars with more advanced anthropological evidence now believe that the number is more accurately 50 million people with some anthropologists arguing that the population was over 100 million people.
Source http://books.google.ca/books?id=NPoA...illion&f=false

people don't realize how badly europeans ****ed over native americans.

the bolded part just shows your ignorance of our history. Redskins is the racist slur for native americans. It just is, our history and the origin of that term is what makes it racist. Not anything I do.

Last edited by MavsSuperFan : 10-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

They should change the team name but Bravehearts sounds so lame. They should change it to a name that's a tribute to the Native American culture.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Glad the resident racist of ISH has decided to chime in on this topic as well
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan

lol, just because I say the team should keep it's name I'm the "resident racist".. Get real

I also know about the crimes the Europeans committed against the Native Americans so you don't need to lecture me on the subject(referring to Mavs post)...

Why aren't the KC Chiefs, Cleveland Indians and other sports franchises under the hot seat for their name?

Why aren't teams that use certain animals as their name/mascott get a free pass?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
lol, just because I say the team should keep it's name I'm the "resident racist".. Get real

I also know about the crimes the Europeans committed against the Native Americans so you don't need to lecture me on the subject(referring to Mavs post)...

Why aren't the KC Chiefs, Cleveland Indians and other sports franchises under the hot seat for their name?

Why aren't teams that use certain animals as their name/mascott get a free pass?

It's not that alone. That comment is based on the past few years on ISH and your comments usually stick out..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: