Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
A couple of tds a game would lead to 30+ tds in a season

If the Lions are inside of the 5, you have to put 2 people on Calvin or it is almost an automatic touchdown.

I love hypotheticals like these because they always come true.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
When it comes to speed, no one can touch Moss.

But TO was a galloping horse whose true speed cannot be measured in a 40 time. CJ actually gets caught from behind. Just look at yesterday's cowboy game. TO never got caught from behind.

The hands thing is such a dumb knock against TO. You know what? Brandon Lloyd has probably the most amazing pair of hands I've ever seen on a WR.
Calvin is not running at 100% right now. Knee is still bugging him a little bit. When healthy we will not get run down.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Megatron, no question.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
The Real JW
High School Starter

where does Marvin Harrison rank?
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Seriously, can no Megatron defender do better than "Megatron, no question" or something similar?

Why is it no question, no debate, etc? Because he had a 329 yard game? Because he put up almost 2000 yards on a 4 win team (but only had 5 TDs on a record number of targets)? Because he looks badass given his size?

I bet when all is said and done, Megatron won't be even sniffing Moss/TO in touchdowns.

And I can't believe someone offered the knee is bothering him excuse. Like you know how he's feeling? Or Moss/TO never played nicked up?
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real JW
where does Marvin Harrison rank?

HoF numbers, but I think most would conclude that a lot of it was the product of being in that Peyton system. We'll never know how he would play with any other QB. Plus, the way his career ended was real bad. Went out like a bitch imo.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I'm not even sure Calvin Johnson is the best in the current NFL at jump balls. I think AJ Green is right up there with him, if not better.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I'm not even sure Calvin Johnson is the best in the current NFL at jump balls. I think AJ Green is right up there with him, if not better.

I'd put Dez up there with Calvin too, if not higher. Calvin has had some seriously spectacular jump balls. Cincy of this year and Dallas of 2 years ago come to mind because he outjumped three dudes. I think people have those images fixed in their head. Which is fair.

But more often I see Dez straight beasting a dude in the end zone. You know it's coming, you just can't stop it. With Calvin's spectacular grabs, the defenders I think were partly lost and just put there hands up as a prayer.

I also put Fitz about Calvin. Fitz is just so technically sound and his hands are second to none. I love when he catches it like it aint no thing, tosses it to the ref and runs straight for the sideline. So business-like.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #24
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
Seriously, can no Megatron defender do better than "Megatron, no question" or something similar?

They've tried to, as in the mention of TO's drops. He had plenty and it's a viable point, but you outrightly dismiss it as a "dumb knock". That's where bias gets in the way.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
They've tried to, as in the mention of TO's drops. He had plenty and it's a viable point, but you outrightly dismiss it as a "dumb knock". That's where bias gets in the way.

That's the only thing I've seen. I dismissed it, but not without anecdotal evidence that "good hands" is a very overrated skill when comparing elite WRs. All of them have "good hands" or else they wouldn't be the caliber of receiver they are. Owens developed a reputation for drops later on in his career, partly because the media needs to pick at him.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

How about off the field issues that led them to go from team to team? It's hard to be viewed as one of the best off all time when you play for 5+ different teams, with the main reason being your personality (more of a knock on TO then Moss, but Moss jumped around too).
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
How about off the field issues that led them to go from team to team? It's hard to be viewed as one of the best off all time when you play for 5+ different teams, with the main reason being your personality (more of a knock on TO then Moss, but Moss jumped around too).

Understand that knock, and how for some, it matters to them when judging a player. I just don't think it has a place in analysis of a player's ability.

RE: ranking criteria, to each his own. But I was comparing strictly in terms of ability. And most who choose Megatron seem to be going by the same criteria. They just haven't provided any good reasons IMO.

But re: off field, I think Moss was worse. He actually quit on the field. Something you can never accuse TO of.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

Ok lets give some other criteria:

Calvin
6'5"
43" vertical
4.32 40

TO
6'3"
35" vertical
4.45 40

In every way physically, Calvin has TO beat. Bigger target, quicker, and can jump crazy high. Calvin is a great route runner who is effective out of the slot, is a huge deep threat, and can run effective screens. Right now I would say that his biggest knock is ball security. Fighting for extra yards is great but not at the expense of a turnover.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Ok lets give some other criteria:

Calvin
6'5"
43" vertical
4.32 40

TO
6'3"
35" vertical
4.45 40

In every way physically, Calvin has TO beat. Bigger target, quicker, and can jump crazy high. Calvin is a great route runner who is effective out of the slot, is a huge deep threat, and can run effective screens. Right now I would say that his biggest knock is ball security. Fighting for extra yards is great but not at the expense of a turnover.

yeah, honestly for just one game I would take Calvin yesterday over ANYONE...Rice included

I have seen all of prime Moss, and IMO what Calvin did yesterday was more dominate than any WR has ever been in just one game...never seen anything like it.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #30
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Didn't Megatron get locked up by someone on the Bears last year? OK I admit I didn't watch the game
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: