Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default HBO's True Detective discussion

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

DarknessBecomesYou

Quote:
True Detective is an upcoming anthology drama series created and written by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Fukunaga.

The series stars Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Kevin Dunn, Michelle Monaghan, Alexandra Daddario and Elizabeth Reaser, and utilizes multiple timelines to trace two detectives' hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana across seventeen years.

The series will premiere on January 12, 2014 and consist of eight episodes.
link

Quote:
HBO's upcoming series, True Detective, is promising to be a dark and gritty cop drama unlike any of those procedurals that CBS keeps releasing—and by the looks of the trailers, it seems they're really not lying.

The second trailer has just hit the web, and it's just as suspenseful and intriguing as the first one from last month. Maybe even more so.

As previously reported, the series follows two cops (Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey) in the backroads and swamps of Louisiana.

They attempt to solve a huge case and become obsessed with the search for a serial killer that lasts nearly two decades.

While Harrelson and McConaughey star in this season, future seasons won't dwell on the same characters and storylines—to keep storylines fresh through the years, future seasons will focus on different detectives in a different town, solving a completely different case.

link

this looks fukcing gritty. i love this type of show
BRabbiT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
KyleKong
OTC Heir Apparent

KyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: HBO's True Detective

Anything with Harrelson is worth watching.
KyleKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If we get to see this chick's boobs it will be worth tuning in.

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Andrei89
Yes We Did

Andrei89 has decent reputation

This show has so much potential. i love HBO and I hope this series will be unforgettable.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Did you know originally the show was to star Forest Whittaker and Ice Cube?

It was going to be called "True Dat Detective"
bagelred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

While Harrelson and McConaughey star in this season, future seasons won't dwell on the same characters and storylines—to keep storylines fresh through the years, future seasons will focus on different detectives in a different town, solving a completely different case.

I didn't realize this was the case. I liked the idea of the show, but thought it wouldn't last because I didn't think they could keep the same storyline for multiple seasons. Now I like it much better. I'm assuming they'll probably have different big name actors in each season. I love HBO.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy

I didn't realize this was the case. I liked the idea of the show, but thought it wouldn't last because I didn't think they could keep the same storyline for multiple seasons. Now I like it much better. I'm assuming they'll probably have different big name actors in each season. I love HBO.

I didn't realize this. Cool.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
In an unconventional move, Pizzolatto wrote all of the scripts himself, without employing a staff of writers to share the load...

"What I was trying to do, and I believe this will come out in the final product because I’ve gotten to a look at what we’ve done, is that things we were trying to do were so far removed from what you usually see in a police procedural.

Within this story, the genre aspects of to catch a killer, to solve a crime, to parse the evidence, that's all sort of in the service of having a forward narrative that we can then hang all these characters on.
"
Quote:
"The show, much more than being about the killers (and) the more surface elements of the genre, while we service those things — and we’ve got a great investigation, and a great progression and escalation — the show’s about men alone, men and men, and men and women.

And I really think that really becomes evident by even the third episode, that what you're watching is servicing those surface elements of genre — tension, suspense, things like that — but its meat entirely consists of characters and relationships.

So, the genre was just this clothesline for me to hang all my usual writerly obsessions on.

That's OK with me, because I love this genre, and I really enjoy a good crime novel.

From where I sit, as a voracious reader, no matter what The New York Times says, the social novel migrated into the crime novel.

I think the big social novel is a crime novel. (James) Ellroy writes social novels, Dennis Lehane writes social novels. (George) Pelecanos writes social novels.

As we increasingly become entrenched in this Age of Empire era that were now entering, the sort of — not desolation — but decrepitude and the pervasive feeling of systems not working that are some of the governing aspects especially of noir and crime fiction in general, I think that more and more becomes the medium where you can explore the various aspects of American society currently torn asunder.

Where you can, as (David) Bowie says, 'Care about the people on the edge of the night.'”

link
Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy

I'm really excited for this show. I had suspicions this was gonna be a miniseries, in the Band of Brothers sense, in that it could only run one season, if for no other reason than that these are both really talented and in demand actors, and I just can't see them committing such a huge chunk of their time to a multiyear series.

I am really interested in seeing how this new season/new cops/new killer set up works too. Especially because it's HBO, and I'm guessing they're gonna chase big stars to do this every season.

Honestly I felt like this was how The Killing should've run. Just keep opening new cases in new parts of the country. Make each season like a 10 hour pieced out episode of CSI. This feels like it'll have an even bigger scope because of the time frame they're talking about this running out over.

This is also right in my wheelhouse content wise, as I read a ton of true crime type stuff.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Did you know originally the show was to star Forest Whittaker and Ice Cube?

It was going to be called "True Dat Detective"
not funny stupid racist
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
BRabbiT

Quote:
This first season goes back and forth between 1995 and 2012. Cohle and Hart are investigating a mysterious murder and end up hunting for the killer responsible.

Not finding any results, both of them become obsessed. The obsession leads to them being consumed by their inner demons. In the case of Hart, who is married, the obsession with the case has quite the disastrous effect on his marriage.

For more information, you can check out the show's website which says “Darkness Becomes You” which is a foreshadowing of what detectives Cohle and Heart go through.

link
Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is getting excellent reviews
KingBeasley08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Really excited for this.

Did anyone see the first season of Getting On (The new show from the creators of Big Love?) If so, thoughts?
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Josh is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJosh is starting to rub some people the wrong way

This is probably a stupid question, but being it's HBO, is this show anything like The Wire?

Man, I really need to get HBO again.

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

any watchers yet?
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: