Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #181
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: HBO's True Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
The raid scene totally reminded me of End of Watch, but better. Great stuff. After last night's episode, I am fully convinced this is the best show currently on TV.

I was gonna mention End of Watch too, but didn't think many people had seen it. It was one of the first things I thought too.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #182
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people
Default Re: HBO's True Detective discussion

are we sharing theories?
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #183
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog13
are we sharing theories?
Why not? Theory is just what you think, it's not a spoiler. Go ahead.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #184
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people

Exactly, not a spoiler since I know nothing

What if Rust is the killer, he leads the investigation to meth mask guy, and then leaves to Alaska and then elsewhere where he kills other girls. For some reason, he returns to Louisiana with his bike gang, kills again. Remember there was things in the original case that was never ever revealed and the new killer is still doing those things. He is in his mustache and dungarees in 2012 beacuse the police picked him up as a person of interest.
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #185
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog13
Exactly, not a spoiler since I know nothing

What if Rust is the killer, he leads the investigation to meth mask guy, and then leaves to Alaska and then elsewhere where he kills other girls. For some reason, he returns to Louisiana with his bike gang, kills again. Remember there was things in the original case that was never ever revealed and the new killer is still doing those things. He is in his mustache and dungarees in 2012 beacuse the police picked him up as a person of interest.

To me it's almost too much that they want you to think it's Rust. The current day investigators have leaned on Hart a great deal implying they think Rust is hiding something.

My other issue with that angle, and it's one that is typical of this sort of big twist genre, is that in retrospect it won't hold up. Like if Rust is the killer, he knows things like where the bunny ranch was, and where the church with the mural was, and if that's the case, either a) Why lead anyone there to begin with, or b) if you're of the mind he's doing it to fuch with people, why go through the extended elements of pretending like beating up the garage workers, and other things that will pop into your mind if you think about it.

They've pointed at him enough, that I'm more inclined to think it's Hart, if they have to go the big twist ending. The guy has shown an inclination toward spontaneous violence. He's obviously still in good standing in the community, moreso than Rust. If they played a story out something like Hart picked up this behavior after internalizing during a case that ruined his life, cost him his family, etc ... and then Rust discovered Hart was the guy continueing these killings, but for whatever reason, weather it's leverage Hart has on him, or some feeling of guilt Rust has for leading Hart down this rabbit hole and seeing his family fall apart, a sympathy or something, that causes Rust to fall apart and become the alcoholic we know now, but not be willing to persue Hart ... that would be a story I think could be interesting.

However, the way it's played so far, I just don't think it's going to twist. I think we're just watching a straight well played hunt. No need for a huge twist. Obvioustly some twist is required for the killings to have picked up, but I don't think it has to be an OMG IT WAS SO AND SO ALL ALONG.

I'd propose a wild accusation of Hart's daughter. From a broken home. More familiar with the case than she should be. Perhaps having seen many things she would've been better served not seeing over the years. Had the moment arranging the dolls like a crime scene. Had the disturbing school pictures. She'd now be in her early 20s and a possible candidate to be re-enacting the events that she believes led to the break up of her parents.

Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #186
Flash31
Local High School Star

Flash31 is a pretty well-respected posterFlash31 is a pretty well-respected posterFlash31 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: HBO's True Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Episode was amazing. Made me not really feel like watching The Walking Dead afterwards because I knew there would be no comparison, and I was right. It was like trying to watch Low Winter Sun after watching BB. I should watch the 9PM Walking Dead followed by the 10PM repeat of True Detective next week.

True Detective was awesome and very intriguing
towards the end especially where Marty figured out theyre fishing
for info about Rust and consider him a suspect and Rust
walking out.

What the hell happens to Ginger,He knows about Rust being a cop
and covers blown,cant imagine Nobody Finding out and using it against him

His ex wife,father,Marty maybe connecting him to the crimes

The new episode was a nice change,next ep will be very intriguing and interesting

Though the WD was Hilarious
Car-uhl running into a door Without even checking the knob,
eating chocolate pudding,nearly getting eaten and Walker has his shoe

Why wont he die though ugh?lol

But yeah Id say depending on mood watch WD first and TD last.
Flash31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #187
Flash31
Local High School Star

Flash31 is a pretty well-respected posterFlash31 is a pretty well-respected posterFlash31 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
To me it's almost too much that they want you to think it's Rust. The current day investigators have leaned on Hart a great deal implying they think Rust is hiding something.

My other issue with that angle, and it's one that is typical of this sort of big twist genre, is that in retrospect it won't hold up. Like if Rust is the killer, he knows things like where the bunny ranch was, and where the church with the mural was, and if that's the case, either a) Why lead anyone there to begin with, or b) if you're of the mind he's doing it to fuch with people, why go through the extended elements of pretending like beating up the garage workers, and other things that will pop into your mind if you think about it.

They've pointed at him enough, that I'm more inclined to think it's Hart, if they have to go the big twist ending. The guy has shown an inclination toward spontaneous violence. He's obviously still in good standing in the community, moreso than Rust. If they played a story out something like Hart picked up this behavior after internalizing during a case that ruined his life, cost him his family, etc ... and then Rust discovered Hart was the guy continueing these killings, but for whatever reason, weather it's leverage Hart has on him, or some feeling of guilt Rust has for leading Hart down this rabbit hole and seeing his family fall apart, a sympathy or something, that causes Rust to fall apart and become the alcoholic we know now, but not be willing to persue Hart ... that would be a story I think could be interesting.

However, the way it's played so far, I just don't think it's going to twist. I think we're just watching a straight well played hunt. No need for a huge twist. Obvioustly some twist is required for the killings to have picked up, but I don't think it has to be an OMG IT WAS SO AND SO ALL ALONG.

I'd propose a wild accusation of Hart's daughter. From a broken home. More familiar with the case than she should be. Perhaps having seen many things she would've been better served not seeing over the years. Had the moment arranging the dolls like a crime scene. Had the disturbing school pictures. She'd now be in her early 20s and a possible candidate to be re-enacting the events that she believes led to the break up of her parents.

Just a thought.

I thought it could be the daughter as well
I mean Its a Cult thing

And the girls were very apprehensive and looked scared at their grandparents

Im thinking the Grandfather is a part of it all and
he was involving the girls in it or they saw it from being around him
and now as we see Marty ISNT a Part of their lives and Oarents Divorced
like all the murdered girls

Orphans,ran away from home,Bad family,single parents

And then all those weird drawings
Where did she learn all that and those spirals,dolls
drawings about yellow king,tall bearded man

It couldnt be crime scene pics or news
and the things she said she talked about at school

Im thinking the Rev,Guvna,Grandfather all play a part in this cult and
through the schools and orphanages are teaching,involving the girls
Flash31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #188
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

Just a thought.
Do you watch Hannibal? They were putting people on antlers too. Takes a large amount of strength to do such things, which makes me think it's not a woman.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #189
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash31
I thought it could be the daughter as well
I mean Its a Cult thing

And the girls were very apprehensive and looked scared at their grandparents

Im thinking the Grandfather is a part of it all and
he was involving the girls in it or they saw it from being around him
and now as we see Marty ISNT a Part of their lives and Oarents Divorced
like all the murdered girls

Orphans,ran away from home,Bad family,single parents

And then all those weird drawings
Where did she learn all that and those spirals,dolls
drawings about yellow king,tall bearded man

It couldnt be crime scene pics or news
and the things she said she talked about at school

Im thinking the Rev,Guvna,Grandfather all play a part in this cult and
through the schools and orphanages are teaching,involving the girls

I don't know why exactly, just can't put my finger on it, but I've heard a few of the larger scale conspiracy type stuff liek the Grandfather, and the Governor and his task force, even some about the police chief. Like I said, I can't quite place why, but I just don't get that sense that it could be them. The characters to me have just come off as too short in how they've been assambled to be the payoff.

The Reverand I could see. That was a character that had more depth. To be honest, I feel like i need to go back and watch these first four hours again. With a better handle on the story now, I feel like this may be one of those things where I could pick up on a bunch of subtleties now that I don't have to track the overall story quite as intently.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #190
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think the two interviewers actually believe Rust is the killer and have been somehow very open about it that Hart realized it as well. What I suspect will be the course of the show is that they will ask the duo to come in and close the case this time for good while monitoring Rust. As who is the killer I'd say the perp is Reggie's mentor or something since Cohle is the prime suspect right now and a very obvious choice.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #191
niko
I Run NY.

The obvious choice isn't a terrible choice if the show continues to be this compelling for 8 episodes. I watched the first four shows again and it leads me to Cohle. Subtle stuff, not so subtle. Rusty seems to be something to distract us into thinking it's not Cohle.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #192
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
The obvious choice isn't a terrible choice if the show continues to be this compelling for 8 episodes. I watched the first four shows again and it leads me to Cohle. Subtle stuff, not so subtle. Rusty seems to be something to distract us into thinking it's not Cohle.
Cohle IS a terrible choice, I'd be very disappointed if all came back to him at the end.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #193
Raymone
The Chosen King

Raymone has an OK reputation so far

The two black cops are the killers.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #194
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Neither Cohle nor Hart is the killer. That would be way too gimmicky for a writer who so far has shown that his work is a notch above that tired convention. I think it's clear the investigators are keying in on Cohle, but I think it's more they want to know about his process since they have a potential copycat (or worse, the real killer) on the loose. They even purposely left the room to give him a chance to review the file they had in one scene- they wanted him to see the file, without actually handing it to him, which I assume would be illegal.

They have been dropping hints since the beginning that this was the work of a cult based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft, R.W. Chambers, and others (They once again brought up the King in Yellow, Carcosa, and the tattoos/yellow signs in the past episode). I think the show is going to get really weird and have a lot of bizarre supernatural elements in the remaining episodes. But it will be explained away as being seen through Cohle's perspective- it's already been established he has 'visions' and synesthesia. And I'm sure him going on that drug binge won't help his conditions.

Unrelated, cool posting from the show's FB page:

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 02-11-2014 at 03:32 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #195
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Remember that one line Marty said? "It's ultimately right under your nose". Wonder what he meant by that. I have a feeling Reggie is a red herring
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: