Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #766
highwhey
PBS Media

Default Re: HBO's True Detective discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 23
The show firstly wanted to point at Rust which was too obvious and ridiculous, then at Maggie with those hidden clues. But after watching the show with my friends the second time and all the heavy analyzing we came to the conclusion that Marty was somehow involved into the whole thing.
Let me guess, yall were on that kush the 2nd time around when you had a revelation?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #767
irondarts

True Detective Season 1 came out today on DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital.

Looking forward to getting it and watching the extras/commentaries.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #768
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
The show firstly wanted to point at Rust which was too obvious and ridiculous, then at Maggie with those hidden clues. But after watching the show with my friends the second time and all the heavy analyzing we came to the conclusion that Marty was somehow involved into the whole thing.

I've watched it through multiple times and people keep reaching at this idea. True Detective wasn't a show with a Scooby doo type ending where it was the Police Officer all along. The Mystery was finding out how high this cult went up the ladder and exposing how savage man really is. People who keep talking about these ideas I feel missed the point of the show.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #769
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
I've watched it through multiple times and people keep reaching at this idea. True Detective wasn't a show with a Scooby doo type ending where it was the Police Officer all along. The Mystery was finding out how high this cult went up the ladder and exposing how savage man really is. People who keep talking about these ideas I feel missed the point of the show.

Well I expressed myself badly, I wanted to say that Marty was somehow involved into the whole thing, not that he was ''The guy'' or ''Yellow king''.

Here I will try to point out some clues which lead me to believe this way:

I don't believe that this picture on the wall was put there coincidentally, it's the same as the painting on the wall in the hospital in which that mentally ill girl was staying. As we can see it's on the Marty's side of the bed.

Look this clip at 2:10 mark, when Marty says to Reggie to put his hands on his head, Reggie starts smiling and refuses to move his hands up and only when he sees Cohle he becomes serious and raises his hands. Why wouldn't he do that immediately after he is told by a police officer with a gun pointed at him behind his back? Did he think he had any chance against Marty being half naked and without any weapon in his hands? It almost looks like they know eachother and Reggie sees the whole thing as a joke and then when he sees Rust he realizes he has to play Marty's game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vla-8D_U_Po

At the end when Marty kills Reggie it might be just an emotional overreaction but it also may be pretty obvious Marty's way of shutting Reggie's mouth forever.

Then look at this scene when Marty and Rust meet Tuttle for the first time. Before shaking hands, both Marty and Tuttle rotate their big ass rings. Then during the whole scene Tuttle is mostly looking at Marty and Marty seems pretty nervous and then at the 0:48 mark is that suspicious ''Thank you for doing your part line''. It's almost like they know eachother aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVvXgU4vb2w

What's interesting is also how Marty was almost just like a clown sidekick in the beggining when Cohle was doing everything, from dangerous actions to all the thinking. Even rust said to him that ''without me, there is no you''. But then when Rust continued to investigate and he didn't fall for Reggie's death, Marty joined him and he suddenly becomes the leading investigator who resolves all the clues. Him remembering that house being painted green was pretty ridiculous, even posters on here were saying that. Maybe Errol started to act too much on his own and became too sloppy and Rust was too deep with his investigation so maybe it was time to put down Errol similarly like Reggie.

Then there's that guy who dies in a prison in a very strange way. I think Marty was involved and I believe that the scene which tried to point at that in a hidden manner was when he beat those 2 kids in a prison pretty badly and it seems like prison is his ''own yard'' where he can do whatever he pleases.

Then there's this scene when he sees his daughters putting dolls in a rape position and he's quiet about it, on the other hand Maggie mentions to him those naked people drawings. Again, I don't believe this scene was put there just for the sake of it, if no one from that family was involved when those cult rapes occured.

Then at the end when Marty says to Rust that ''we got our guy, others don't matter'' when Rust says there are many more people involved. Yea Marty, you got your guy Errol who probably became to sloppy and crazy and started to gather to much attention.

In the last episode there is also this creepy music when they show Marty with his family and it's almost like they try to point at something with that music. Many thought it's because of Maggie, but I think it's actually because Marty survived.

Then there are obvious clues like Marty having extremely shining yellow hair and others which I don't even remember right now. This post is long enough as it is anyway
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #770
step_back
College superstar

LBJ 23 don't worry about the post being too long. I enjoyed reading it and you came up with some solid ideas. Here's my rebuttal.

1) With the Reggie death scene at the 2:10 mark you can see he looks down to his right hand side. It's barely noticeable but you can see a collection of weapons on the counter including a pistol. I think the reason why he raised his hands when Rust showed up is because it went from being a 1 on 1 situation to a 2 on 1. I also think Marty's reaction was purely an emotional one. He just opened a make shift dungeon with two children in there around the same age as his daughters.

2) When being met by a superior like Tuttle all Marty did was mirror his body language. This is something that powerful charismatic men like Tuttle often have over people. Tuttle I believe was hiding in plain sight the whole time and was the man at the top of the cult until his death. This I think was a subtle hint to the audience and not the characters. He was in control and the only one who could see through him was Rust.

3) Marty being somewhat useless in 1995 was part of his character journey. In 2012 Rust was nothing but a rambling crack pot with some crazy ideas. It took Marty's connections and professionalism to break the case. Again I think this was to show that while dysfunctional they were good partners. Marty even said early on in the show that Rust had a way of cracking people and seeing things that he missed but lacked the people skills to work on his own. The tables had turned, Rust now needed Marty which he didn't before.

4) The bedroom scene involving the same picture on the wall as the girl in the mental hospital doesn't really add up. He never went there, it was Rust who went to see her. I see this as another coincidence for the audience and not the characters, it's too subtle for the audience to speculate a connection.

5) Marty beating up those kids in the prison was more a testament to the behaviour of his daughter and it bares resemblance to the conversation they had in the car about them being "Bad" guys who are catching other "Bad" guys. No one is innocent, we are all capable of savage things when our perspective has changed.

6) Creepy music, not getting all the guys. Again I think this is more about trying to kill an idea which can't be done which is what Rust had become consumed by. No matter how many times you put one bad guy away another returns in his place. Marty's speech about all the darkness surrounding the light at the very end of the show was a subtle metaphor for that conversation.

Last edited by step_back : 06-10-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #771
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
True Detective Season 1 came out today on DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital.

Looking forward to getting it and watching the extras/commentaries.
I'm pissed off that my Amazon order hasn't even shipped yet. I always sell my digital codes and you'll get the highest price for them on release day.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #772
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

Quote:
1) With the Reggie death scene at the 2:10 mark you can see he looks down to his right hand side. It's barely noticeable but you can see a collection of weapons on the counter including a pistol. I think the reason why he raised his hands when Rust showed up is because it went from being a 1 on 1 situation to a 2 on 1. I also think Marty's reaction was purely an emotional one. He just opened a make shift dungeon with two children in there around the same age as his daughters.

LOL what a fail on my part

I was watching that scene so many times on youtube but always on the smallest window possible. Now I watch it on full screen and as you mentioned weapons, I see guns there immediately. Yea, then Reggie's reaction completely makes sense. I can't believe I didin't notice what's on the table and he's even looking that way

Your points are all making more sense over mine of course, and mine theory was crazy to begin with, but it still bothers me why put that picture on the wall above Marty's bed and also that scene of his daughters playing with dolls it bothers me so much if no one from that family was involved.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #773
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Everyone who spent the whole time watching out for 'clues' wasted their time as much as people who did the same for the Sopranos ending.

You guys just wanted things to be there that weren't really there (outside of happenstance, coincidence, etc). Pretty sure the writer/director said they didn't even notice a lot of the things that people would later point out when they were actually in the process of putting the show together.

For all the early mystery, the season ended up being a pretty straight forward, run of the mill crime drama. A superbly written and acted one for the most part though.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #774
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

Quote:

I must admit that I don't watch many movies and shows so I maybe completely missed the point and I focused to much on smaller things instead of seeing the bigger picture.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #775
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
LOL what a fail on my part

I was watching that scene so many times on youtube but always on the smallest window possible. Now I watch it on full screen and as you mentioned weapons, I see guns there immediately. Yea, then Reggie's reaction completely makes sense. I can't believe I didin't notice what's on the table and he's even looking that way

Your points are all making more sense over mine of course, and mine theory was crazy to begin with, but it still bothers me why put that picture on the wall above Marty's bed and also that scene of his daughters playing with dolls it bothers me so much if no one from that family was involved.

Trust me I went through the same thing with my friends. It felt like something was missing at the end of the show. I partly think this was because the writer Nick Pizzolatto had to wrap things up quickly. The show ultimately suffered for it because the last 3 episodes dropped off from what was shaping up to be one of the best single seasons of all time. It's always a bad sign when they hint at things like Marty and his wife perhaps being involved because part of solid writing is making it conclude and providing closure for the audience. Breaking bad did this perfectly. True Detective opened up avenues for the audience that weren't really there.

It was great Television and definitely some of the best acting and writing but as Don said. It was a lot more run of the mill and not a who done it mystery.

Last edited by step_back : 06-10-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #776
D-Rose
Da Mavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Everyone who spent the whole time watching out for 'clues' wasted their time as much as people who did the same for the Sopranos ending.

You guys just wanted things to be there that weren't really there (outside of happenstance, coincidence, etc). Pretty sure the writer/director said they didn't even notice a lot of the things that people would later point out when they were actually in the process of putting the show together.

For all the early mystery, the season ended up being a pretty straight forward, run of the mill crime drama. A superbly written and acted one for the most part though.
Everything makes sense...but man, the painting in the bedroom and the picture of the spiral symbol in Marty's daughter's bed room are more than just coincidence, right?
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #777
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

Quote:

I hope you don't mean that Tony didn't die at the end of The Sopranos.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #778
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I hope you don't mean that Tony didn't die at the end of The Sopranos.

He did not. But even if you want to believe he did, it wasn't because of some Da Vinci code bullshit.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #779
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Quote:
He did not. But even if you want to believe he did, it wasn't because of some Da Vinci code bullshit.

Tony did die at the end of the Sopranos. My all time Favorite show, seen it 4 times over and over.

Why are people making such a complicated mess of this?

Bobby tells Tony " I think when you die, nothing happens, everything turns black"

End scene " Tony looks up, the chorus " Don't stop believing "comes up and it is cut right before the letter "b" from believing comes along, screen turns dark, stays dark for around 10 seconds before end credits begin"

It is all right there for the obvious and yet people somehow ignore to see it.

Tony is dead. Deal with it.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #780
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei89
Tony did die at the end of the Sopranos. My all time Favorite show, seen it 4 times over and over.

Why are people making such a complicated mess of this?

Bobby tells Tony " I think when you die, nothing happens, everything turns black"

End scene " Tony looks up, the chorus " Don't stop believing "comes up and it is cut right before the letter "b" from believing comes along, screen turns dark, stays dark for around 10 seconds before end credits begin"

It is all right there for the obvious and yet people somehow ignore to see it.

Tony is dead. Deal with it.

Bobby never said that

And even if what you say above is true, wouldn't that just mean that the audience was 'whacked' (Chase mentioned he didn't want any credits after the cut to black originally but couldn't get away with it because of union shit.)? I mean if whoever dies is listening to the music... notice that the music isn't heard through Tony's perspective. When the POV moves outside to Meadow parking, it's still playing. So guess who the music/vision stops for. Look up the difference between diegetic and non diegetic music in film, then take another look at your theory.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 06-11-2014 at 12:14 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: